Author Topic: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz  (Read 121794 times)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2018, 10:33:56 am »
Don't know if old school or not but I have heard it many times. Here is just one example .https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2000-03-12-0003120058-story.html I'm sure there are more.

Many times the fluid is forgotten about until the transmission starts to act up.

I have replaced the fluid on my civic  a while ago around 70,000 km .
It has not been left there too long. Will change again in the future keeping the interval short.

I'm sure A Steve has an opinion on this.

It's not that I'm disbelieving you for the sake of arguing, its just that I have a hard time believing something when the evidence is purely anecdotal. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 20, 2018, 10:39:58 am »

I've read that's basically an old wives tale.

I wouldn't bother with a full fluid flush but I don't see how draining the pan and adding in a bunch of new fluid could hurt anything.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2018, 10:49:06 am »
Even after 160,000 km's ? Go ahead roll the dice. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2018, 10:49:38 am »
I wouldn’t flush the transmission which could cause more harm than good but doing a drain and refill replaces about 15% of the old fluid for the Sequoia. The purpose is to restore additives. I will be doing all that plus replace the differential and transfer case fluids (Amsoil’s new easy squeeze pouches will be so awesome) and grease the drive shaft which should be done every 16k or 12 months. Toyota recommends 32k for differential and transfer case fluid but Amsoil says their Severe Gear fluid is good for 80k in severe service (a whopping 160k regular service) when used in differentials.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 20, 2018, 12:20:58 pm »
And thanks everyone! We love our Sequoia.

Awesome truck and congrats. Although I'm taking a point off for no pics beside a sequoia tree.  :P

Haha, maybe on our trip to California.

Offline Ron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 3 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GT
« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2018, 12:36:06 pm »

I wouldn't bother with a full fluid flush but I don't see how draining the pan and adding in a bunch of new fluid could hurt anything.

You can flush all the old fluid out completely with new fluid yourself using the car's transmission pump and disconnecting the return line; I have done so or seen done with high mileage vehicles with no issues afterwards. It is a safe procedure. These *stories* of transmission failure are likely due to a flush at a shop using a high pressure machine to exchange the fluid; the high pressure can dislodge debris/blow seals etc. on older/high mileage transmissions. My .02

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2018, 01:08:40 pm »
looks great...should provide years of use with minimal fuss.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2018, 08:22:43 pm »

You can flush all the old fluid out completely with new fluid yourself using the car's transmission pump and disconnecting the return line; I have done so or seen done with high mileage vehicles with no issues afterwards. It is a safe procedure. These *stories* of transmission failure are likely due to a flush at a shop using a high pressure machine to exchange the fluid; the high pressure can dislodge debris/blow seals etc. on older/high mileage transmissions. My .02

This.

Trans fluid (and filter) is one of the first things I do when I get a used vehicle of any type and mileage. No high pressure flushes, just disconnect a return line (or a cooler line, whatever is easier) and let it pump out. Swap in a new filter, pan gasket and re-fill.

Probably the best example was my brother old SLK230....Car had around 200K on it when he bought it on the original "sealed lifetime fluid", which Mercedes had by that point admitted with stupid and was offering service on given the high failure rates on those cars. Anyway, he was super worried about changing it for the myths noted above.....We did it, and the trans was great well over 250K when the car was rear ended and totaled.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2018, 10:14:37 am »
Really like the colour combo.  When buying used you sometimes get what you get if you're picky about condition and service records, so it's nice you got a nice combo.

Looks well cared for.  That's the great thing about those old Toyotas - they're not very common on the market, but a high percentage have been cared for as people keep them.

Solid find!

IIRC - that 4x4 system has an AWD mode...is that the default?

Awesome truck.  Nice find!  I like the colour, too.  Most of these are beige.

Love the two tone, can’t honestly say I’ve ever seen one that color. Enjoy! I’m sure it’ll fill the bill as a perfect family rig.

Thanks! I like it too, it beats the boring colours I usually end up getting. It's a rare colour combo for an uncommon SUV. This guy would have kept his if he wasn't given a nice Crewmax Tundra as a work truck and his wife prefers driving their Camry.

The button says AWD but I'm not 100% sure. I may have to ask the forums as the owners manual doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Or maybe meet up with Fobroader to teach me about 4x4 basics.

:fiver:  Nice find!  Congrats! 

I'd love to find a Tundra of the same vintage....that's not ridiculously priced...and that isn't full of rust.   :P

Nice truck!! Hows the rust?

Thanks! The Tundra and Sequoia all have plastic cladding around the wheel well so it's not as visible. There's some rust on the rear fenders but there's definitely been worse, but you don't see it unless you open the doors. I'll probably POR15 it in a way that looks like factory applied liner. There's some surface frame rust too and again I'll just POR15 it all.

Nice, a proper no-nonsense SUV. These still looks good, and this one has held up well considering the kms on it. Polishing (or replacing if they're bad enough) the headlights, getting a matching set of tires, and a good cut/polish on the paint would have this truck looking like new.

I just got some replacement headlights. I'm going to apply some Optimum Opti-Lens permanent UV seal on it -- one bottle covers up to 6 headlights so I'm going to treat my Mazda 3 as well which is 6 years old and due for a rejuvenation of headlight protection.

Trans fluid (and filter) is one of the first things I do when I get a used vehicle of any type and mileage. No high pressure flushes, just disconnect a return line (or a cooler line, whatever is easier) and let it pump out. Swap in a new filter, pan gasket and re-fill.

There doesn't seem to be a filter, just a strainer at the pan that drops everything back into the pan when the vehicle is turned off. I may have to drop the pan to get to the crud picked up by the magnets.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 22, 2018, 08:33:11 am »
Thanks! I like it too, it beats the boring colours I usually end up getting. It's a rare colour combo for an uncommon SUV.

Whoah, Whoah, Whoah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.  It's not like it's a shade of yellow, red or hot pink.  It's still a dark blue verging on beige... :stick:  :rofl2:

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #290 on: November 24, 2018, 12:25:44 pm »
Thanks! I like it too, it beats the boring colours I usually end up getting. It's a rare colour combo for an uncommon SUV.

Whoah, Whoah, Whoah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.  It's not like it's a shade of yellow, red or hot pink.  It's still a dark blue verging on beige... :stick:  :rofl2:

Accented with touches of grey...   ;D

All joking aside it’s a fine looking vehicle.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:27:35 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 30, 2018, 03:32:13 pm »
looks good. Headlights could use a polish.

Polishing (or replacing if they're bad enough) the headlights,

There! Happy?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #292 on: November 30, 2018, 03:35:02 pm »
Very happy, yes.  ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #293 on: November 30, 2018, 03:35:23 pm »
BIG difference!!!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #294 on: November 30, 2018, 03:37:51 pm »
Nice job and great pic with the truck/clouds/sky.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 30, 2018, 03:40:02 pm »
Nice work?  What kit did you use?

I need to do the Higlanders.  But they aren't nearly as bad as yours were so I will get to it in the spring.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #296 on: November 30, 2018, 03:46:38 pm »
Wow...nice work on the headlights, they turned out great  :thumbup: :thumbup:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #297 on: November 30, 2018, 03:48:02 pm »
looks good. Headlights could use a polish.

Polishing (or replacing if they're bad enough) the headlights,

There! Happy?

Did you polish them or are they new?

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 30, 2018, 03:56:35 pm »
Nice Job.  Little things at a time, and you'll eventually have a perfectly sorted truck.

Are you planning on doing something on the piece of body work beneath the grille and headlights that has peeling paint?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #299 on: November 30, 2018, 04:07:47 pm »
Nice Job.  Little things at a time, and you'll eventually have a perfectly sorted truck.

Are you planning on doing something on the piece of body work beneath the grille and headlights that has peeling paint?

I wasn't going to mention that.....that would cause my eye to twitch and sleepless nights lol