Author Topic: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz  (Read 121814 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2015, 01:38:41 pm »
Van looks darn good DKaz, especially considering the purchase price.  The price for the TL wheels and tires was good too.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2016, 02:47:54 pm »
Thanks!

Update at close to 305,000km (21,000km of ownership)...

1st and 2nd gear has suddenly started to intermittently slip when cold. I thought it may have been low ATF so I decided to do a drain and fill and make sure the ATF was at the high mark when hot, but it still slips when below operating temperature. I'm going to take apart the solenoid screens (filers) this weekend, clean if necessary, and hopefully that cures it. The solenoids may not be getting adequate pressure to lock up. I'm also thinking maybe the solenoids themselves have gone, so that's another thing to look at. Otherwise, my Odyssey may officially enter "do not spend another dime" status. With how little I've spent on it and how much it's gotten me around for the last 19 months, it owes me nothing at this point. Drive it to the ground then scrap it.

I have to note that as I've completely bypassed the radiator and have all the ATF going to a standalone transmission cooler, there's no way for the transmission fluid to warm up unless the van is in gear. I don't know if this has been a detriment to the transmission or not. I didn't want to route the ATF through both the radiator AND the transmission cooler as I wasn't sure if there'd be too much pressure drop for the ATF pump.

3rd and 4th gear still work great so I may restrict this van to road trips only.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2016, 03:06:39 pm »
^ 19 months?  Wow time flies... It will be 2 years of ownership for me in March.  It has about 215k now, 50k put on by us.  But it still owes me!  Still it better hang on, after spending $2k in 2015. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2016, 03:23:52 pm »
I'm sure it's fine! I'll definitely be looking at 3rd gens now like yours but also 1st gen Sequoias. Big, comfortable, and Toyota reliable.

My cost of ownership for fuel, insurance, and service/maintenance is now at $6533, or 31.1 cents a km. Since my last update, it's been driven between Vancouver and Kelowna a few times, to Edmonton down to Calgary and Radium Hot Springs once, and also all around the Okanagan several times. So it's been around and racking up the kms. It's really too bad the transmission is not great because the rest of the van is.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2016, 03:28:27 pm »
I'm sure it's fine! I'll definitely be looking at 3rd gens now like yours but also 1st gen Sequoias. Big, comfortable, and Toyota reliable.

My cost of ownership for fuel, insurance, and service/maintenance is now at $6533, or 31.1 cents a km. Since my last update, it's been driven between Vancouver and Kelowna a few times, to Edmonton down to Calgary and Radium Hot Springs once, and also all around the Okanagan several times. So it's been around and racking up the kms. It's really too bad the transmission is not great because the rest of the van is.

One thing they screwed with the MY 2005, was they put the child anchors for the 3rd row in the middle only.  2006 and newer, it was revised to the left side and right side of the 3rd row.  Would have been handy for me a few times.  Not that it matters in your case. 

I will put on the transmission cooler this summer for sure... As I will do more towing.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2016, 03:35:22 pm »
Thanks!

Update at close to 305,000km (21,000km of ownership)...

1st and 2nd gear has suddenly started to intermittently slip when cold. I thought it may have been low ATF so I decided to do a drain and fill and make sure the ATF was at the high mark when hot, but it still slips when below operating temperature. I'm going to take apart the solenoid screens (filers) this weekend, clean if necessary, and hopefully that cures it. The solenoids may not be getting adequate pressure to lock up. I'm also thinking maybe the solenoids themselves have gone, so that's another thing to look at. Otherwise, my Odyssey may officially enter "do not spend another dime" status. With how little I've spent on it and how much it's gotten me around for the last 19 months, it owes me nothing at this point. Drive it to the ground then scrap it.

I have to note that as I've completely bypassed the radiator and have all the ATF going to a standalone transmission cooler, there's no way for the transmission fluid to warm up unless the van is in gear. I don't know if this has been a detriment to the transmission or not. I didn't want to route the ATF through both the radiator AND the transmission cooler as I wasn't sure if there'd be too much pressure drop for the ATF pump.

3rd and 4th gear still work great so I may restrict this van to road trips only.

The dealer install kits that Honda offered for transmission cooler had the fluid going through both the internal radiator cooler and the external.  I think that using only the external cooler may have been detrimental to the transmission as it would need longer to heat up.  Also, typically, those external transmission coolers aren't designed to be used standalone, as it doesn't have sufficient capacity to shed the amount of heat required.  Typically, when both coolers are used, the fluid would run from the transmission to the internal radiator cooler, then the external cooler and then back to the transmission.  That's the way the dealer would have installed it.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2016, 03:38:04 pm »
It's a worthwhile upgrade for sure. I think starting in 04 (in the 2nd gen) they made the external transmission cooler standard so your Odyssey will have it, but it's a simple tube and fin design. The one I have is the Long Tru-Cool 4454, rated for 18,000 GVW. A loaded Odyssey with a trailer won't even be half of that. It comes with everything you need to install the cooler, just remember to measure twice and cut once with the included hose.

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Tru-Cool-Transmission-Cooler-4454/dp/B005XZXB1M

The dealer install kits that Honda offered for transmission cooler had the fluid going through both the internal radiator cooler and the external.  I think that using only the external cooler may have been detrimental to the transmission as it would need longer to heat up.  Also, typically, those external transmission coolers aren't designed to be used standalone, as it doesn't have sufficient capacity to shed the amount of heat required.  Typically, when both coolers are used, the fluid would run from the transmission to the internal radiator cooler, then the external cooler and then back to the transmission.  That's the way the dealer would have installed it.

As noted above. I don't have a transmission fluid temperature gauge but others have said that the ATF runs significantly cooler with similar aftermarket transmission coolers.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2016, 03:42:02 pm »
To add, the ideal operating temperature for ATF is 175F. Coolant runs at 185F so the coolest you'll get ATF through a rad is 195F.

But just read Long Tru-Cool's website:

Should I disconnect the radiator in-tank oil cooler when I install a Tru-Cool cooler?

Do not disconnect the in-tank oil cooler if you can avoid it. Your in-tank cooler offers additional cooling and helps preheat the transmission. In colder climates the in-tank cooler should never be disconnected from the system

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2016, 04:20:10 pm »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2016, 04:43:29 pm »
It was probably fine in Vancouver but yea, d'oh.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2016, 05:37:56 pm »
So I took apart my shifter solenoid assembly to inspect the shifters. Indeed the middle screen which goes to the pressure regulating solenoid was clogged, where I pointed to with the flathead. Cleaned it with an old toothbrush, compressed air, and Seafoam Deep Creep and reinstalled. The other screens are clean clean clean.

With the amount of fine particles on the magnetic drain bolt and in the screen, I am ordering a Wix inline magnetic filter, I'd prefer Magnefine but it's not carried on Amazon.ca. I already made provisions to install this at the outlet of the transmission into the cooler when I put in the transmission cooler so it'll be a quick job. I'm still on the fence of whether or not I will route the ATF into stock cooler before going into the Long Trucool unit or not. Hardly anyone in Odyclub have done so and this includes folks living in the prairies to Atlantic Canada.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2016, 06:54:32 pm »
Strong work!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2016, 12:15:52 am »
The inline magnetic filter came in so I installed that and buttoned everything up. Went for a spin and absolutely no more slipping. 8) Next up, timing belt and water pump, then road trip season!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2016, 12:36:07 am »
The inline magnetic filter came in so I installed that and buttoned everything up. Went for a spin and absolutely no more slipping. 8) Next up, timing belt and water pump, then road trip season!

Nice work!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2016, 12:46:11 am »

Nice work!

Haven't decided if I will do that again or not.  (Timing Belt and Water Pump).  Van has 215k on it now.  Did it at around 160km.  Guess I have a ways to go.  Just don't feel like spending $800 on a vehicle that would be worth $4000.  Good excuse to get something newer anyway, by then it will probably be around 13 years old!

Yes I know Dkaz, yours is already 16 years old.  But doing the brakes is enough of a job for me!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2016, 01:10:05 am »
Thanks rrocket! As fun as this was, hopefully the filter increases the intervals of having to clean out the screens.

Solsitce2006 you're still at least 85k from your next timing belt so definitely nothing to worry about. It'll be at 300k by then, piece of cake. I'm really still on the fence although I'm heavily leaning towards getting it changed now that I know my transmission will likely last at least another couple of years. If the transmission does go, I can likely part out the engine for $800.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2016, 09:06:36 am »
Nice work! Isn't it a great feeling?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2016, 01:55:08 pm »
Nice work! Isn't it a great feeling?

Yeah I get the same feeling of accomplishment when I change a diaper while on the phone!   ;D

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2016, 02:31:26 pm »
Great work DKaz.  I wonder how many of these problematic 5 speed trannies from the early 2000's were swapped out when a simple fix like you performed (or the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switch fix) could have solved the problem?

A few years back I was an active member on piloteers.org and problems with the trannies in the '03s were increasing.  A lot of issues were solved by swapping out the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches.  That solution was never offered by the dealers though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:34:06 pm by bridgecity »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2016, 04:29:16 pm »
Dealers rarely fix things - they replace.  Sell a complete assembly for $$$$$$$.  I bet lots of Honda indies know how to repair those troublesome transmissions.