Author Topic: Why, thank you officer...  (Read 4963 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Why, thank you officer...
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 09:08:48 pm »
Our police union is also very strong.  Smart new chiefs got the union on side.  It's tough, but can be done.  Edmonton did it, Calgary did it.  I have no idea of the process, but they managed.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 09:09:42 pm »
Our police union is also very strong.  Smart new chiefs got the union on side.  It's tough, but can be done.  Edmonton did it, Calgary did it.  I have no idea of the process, but they managed.

Good luck with that (and unions in general) in Ontario.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 11:40:30 pm »
Excellent!  Gave me a big grin just to read it.

I might be wrong, but as I understand it, the 40 sign (yellow, not white) is only recommended, and not a maximum posted limit.

That is the way I understand it in BC as well for yellow signs, although I have not had a chance to verify it like this!
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 10:03:20 am »
I usually do twice what the yellow posted sign is posted.  Back when I had the Mazda6, with no other passengers, I would take it more aggressively, holding on to the steering wheel tight, so I stay in my seat...

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 10:38:29 pm »
We have a newer ring road that is 2-3 lanes each direction, no level crossings, and has a limit of only 100km/h.  Traffic typically flows at 115-125km/h, and every once in a while the cops come out with a huge ticket blitz.  (there is photo radar on it all the time)

This morning they had two handheld LIDAR operators with a huge pull-over crew down the road.  I came onto the freeway right where one of the LIDAR operators was hiding under the overpass.  He took my speed just as I came off the on-ramp.  The ramp is marked for "recommended" 40 (not maximum) and so it's a tight one.  I took it at about 100, right near the top of third gear.

I just kept my speed as I entered the freeway, keeping below 110.  All the traffic is now in the center lane, crawling along.  I can see that it's the pull-over zone and the cops have officers on the right and left sides.

As I come up to the officer standing in the road, having no roof, I can clearly hear the radio instructions from the two LIDAR operators.

"The black Ford Edge, (right in front of me) 128, keep him"

"The red Miata, within limit, let him go, totally nailed the apex on the on-ramp, nice."

The cop in the road knows I heard this as I now have a huge $hit-eating grin on my face.  He's laughing as he waves me through.

Oh, and Edmonton forum members, looks like enforcement on Anthony Henday is pretty intense for a while.  Watch your speed...

Ah taking on-ramps at 110kph+ and 3rd gear.
91 street south to AHD West from traffic stop light.

I miss the RX-8.  :'(

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:47 pm »
Ah taking on-ramps at 110kph+ and 3rd gear.
91 street south to AHD West from traffic stop light.

That's a great one.  The right/inside lane is almost always vacant and you can rip 'er hard.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 12:53:46 am »

They can give you a ticket for driving below the posted limit if the conditions are poor.  I watched that "Highway Through Hell" show and they gave a red 2001 Subaru Forester (hey!!) a ticket for going 95 in the 110 zone as the weather was bad.  Don't Subarus get a pass?  He was driving well within the ability of the vehicle!!   ;)

Usually when the weather is bad on the Coquihalla, the Subarus are in the queues in the slow lane with the Rav4's and fwd cars crawling along at 60kph.  Traffic keeps the slow lane somewhat cleared and predictable.  The fast lane is doubly challenging: worse conditions and you have to be going faster to pass.  So few are willing to use the fast lane.  This is great fun at night in a snowstorm.  You leave finger imprints in the steering wheel.  No semis in the fast lane either.  Much has to do with the driver, but one particularly bad night I recall 3 examples of those using the fast lane: a Murano, an Audi Quattro wagon, and our Suzuki Grand Vitara.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 01:10:29 am »
I remember a bad storm in Toronto about 5 years ago, TTC was down, GO train was hours delayed.  I drove 60km to go pickup my wife who was working in Toronto, with my little Tercel (5 speed).  That was great fun, fast lane the whole way, slide every now and then.  But I managed, better than most..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 02:20:10 am »
I remember a bad storm in Toronto about 5 years ago, TTC was down, GO train was hours delayed.  I drove 60km to go pickup my wife who was working in Toronto, with my little Tercel (5 speed).  That was great fun, fast lane the whole way, slide every now and then.  But I managed, better than most..

I've never found Toronto to be too bad with snow at all.  But down around London I've driven through some insane snow.  Not sure why that is...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 11:50:55 am »
I've never found Toronto to be too bad with snow at all.  But down around London I've driven through some insane snow.  Not sure why that is...

Toronto will get the odd good storm.
I remember the year Toronto called in the army.
I was up in North Bay at Canadore College.   I woke up and told my girlfriend, let's go for a drive!
(we didn't know the storm was going to be THAT bad).   our "drive" ended up being a drive to T.O.
we picked up a couple CDs, had some food.   For the drive back, from downtown I decided we take Yonge Street back to North Bay (the longest street in Canada, someone once said) -- but only took it up till just South of Barrie  (it was taking too long!)

London will get hammered due to the weather systems coming off Lake Huron.
snow squalls can be very unpredictable.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 11:57:09 am »

A friend of my dads lives out there and hes sent us pics of a snow storm that had buried them....the snow was level with the roof of his daughters Smart car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 12:00:45 pm »
Toronto...snow
Toronto...snow
Toronto...snow

Nope, doesn't compute.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 12:04:34 pm »
Look up "White Juan", and see why much of the East coast just chuckles at southern Ontario's snow problems. ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 01:16:27 pm »
Montreal has better snow than Toronto.

Used to drive my little car with all season 155/80R13 like a madman on the hwy 40 and 20.   It never felt like it was floating on deep snow.   :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 01:17:44 pm »
Look up "White Juan", and see why much of the East coast just chuckles at southern Ontario's snow problems. ;D

:o :o

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 01:23:08 pm »

In about 1992 or 93 Moncton was hit with over 200cm of snow in a few days on top of what was already down.
Dad couldn't see his two story house from the street, and that was in the city on a 60x120 ft lot. Payloaders and farm tractors were called out to help plow because graders and plow trucks were useless.

Never resorted to the army though. ;D

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 01:23:43 pm »
no, you guys are right.  Toronto is a bit of a joke.
it's funny how much everyone made fun of them calling in the Army!!!!

i'm just saying, usually once a year, they do get a decent storm.

it's always worse than it really is because not too many know how to drive in a storm.
 ::)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 01:24:50 pm »

In about 1992 or 93 Moncton was hit with over 200cm of snow in a few days on top of what was already down.
Dad couldn't see his two story house from the street, and that was in the city on a 60x120 ft lot. Payloaders and farm tractors were called out to help plow because graders and plow trucks were useless.

Never resorted to the army though. ;D

The torontonians did not want to break a nail or get their Uggs wet, geez man....  ;D

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 01:25:28 pm »
no, you guys are right.  Toronto is a bit of a joke.
it's funny how much everyone made fun of them calling in the Army!!!!

i'm just saying, usually once a year, they do get a decent storm.

it's always worse than it really is because not too many know how to drive in a storm.
 ::)

It was the single best decision a Toronto mayor even made! People in the rest of Canada have been riffing on it ever since!  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 01:35:30 pm »
At the same time, I think the 401 goes completely berserk when it snows vs MB, SK, AB where our teenaged kids master our snowy conditions through necessity.