Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Chevrolet Impala LT; Day 1  (Read 10791 times)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Chevrolet Impala LT; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 07:11:29 pm »
This must be one of those cars that makes a better impression in the metal than in photos - I still can't see what is prompting all the good looks kudos.

What you don't like the Sonata like rear end? :D

Definite resemblance, I was following both the other day. 

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Chevrolet Impala LT; Day 1
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 07:12:42 pm »
I find nothing sonata like in the Impala, any resemblance is unfortunate for the Chevy IMO.

Northernridge

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 07:30:13 pm »
This must be one of those cars that makes a better impression in the metal than in photos - I still can't see what is prompting all the good looks kudos.

Maybe a combo of GM slamming fatigue and that it's so much better than the old one?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 07:39:33 pm »
I find nothing sonata like in the Impala, any resemblance is unfortunate for the Chevy IMO.

I haven't seen one personally and James does not show any rear shots of the impala. I did however watch Motoring 2013 the other night.
They had a brief review on this car with a lot of shots of the rear,definately had some sonata resemblance .
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 12:02:09 am »
Looks like a cool vehicule. Nice exterior and interior.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 12:30:18 am »
I seen my first one today at the LCBO, looks impressive. GM has come a long way in the design/styling department for a mainstream sedan.

There are no ugly cars after last call at LCBO  ;)

"Everything fits together nicely and really evokes Cadillac quality finish and attention to detail."

Am I the only one who wondered if this was a serious comment or "damning by faint praise" ?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:40:12 am by sacrat »
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12385
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 05:23:41 am »

Maybe a combo of GM slamming fatigue and that it's so much better than the old one?

Oh, it's certainly better than the old one - that is obvious from the pics - but that's not really saying much.  I saw pics of the new Mazda 6, and read all the oohs and ahs and understood perfectly well why people were heaping praise upon its sleek and sexy exterior styling.  I'm not really getting it here.  But like I said, I haven't seen one on the road yet.  I liked the Avalon in the metal much better than in photos. Maybe I'll like the Impala better, too.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 06:12:58 am »

I should have been more specific, I was referring to the tail lights only.  I still feel the same way about the Sonata, even at the end of its cycle it still looks good, looking forward to the next one.

Northernridge

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 09:24:52 am »
Drove alongside one on the way in today...they look decent enough for today's fit-the-mold mainstream design. What I dislike about this and most other current sedans is that every body panel is bulging out, the super high rear deck lid and the appearance that the car is so overinflated that you really can't get a sense of its shape...kind of like someone wearing a puffy down parka.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 10:02:57 am »
The red colour on the test car isn't very flattering for the car.  It would've looked better in black or dark grey, IMO.

Offline Leowin

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Mazda 3 Leased and Returned / 2007 Infiniti G35X Current
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 11:40:19 am »
GM has to do more with the steering wheel of their vehicles. I find the steering wheels of GM/Cadillac/Buick are the most unattractive part most of the time. Either they are dull & plasticky or too big..
IMHO this Impala steering wheel also suffers the same fate.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:32 am »
GM has to do more with the steering wheel of their vehicles. I find the steering wheels of GM/Cadillac/Buick are the most unattractive part most of the time. Either they are dull & plasticky or too big..

I agree, Ford has the same issue with their steering wheels.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 11:48:46 am »
a solid looking car... i still find it to be forgettable... but there are worse things to be said about cars.

price wise... seems right considering it's size, market and options.. obviously, the lesser equipped models will be shopped a bit more, but still nice to see all the toys they can cram in this one...

i agree that the colour doesn't seem to do much for the tester either. ive heard some say they don't care for the dash, but i think that's probably the nicest part of the car on this trim level.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 06:34:00 pm »
i'll pass on the Impala...but that new SS looks damn sweet.

please get one of those in your tests whenever possible.   :drool:

The SS isn't coming north of the border.
what?!?!

the ONLY GM car i'd likely consider buying (if i were in the market again) and it won't be for sale here??

that's just plain DUMB.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2013, 06:06:07 pm »
i'll pass on the Impala...but that new SS looks damn sweet.

please get one of those in your tests whenever possible.   :drool:

The SS isn't coming north of the border.
what?!?!

the ONLY GM car i'd likely consider buying (if i were in the market again) and it won't be for sale here??

that's just plain DUMB.

The G8, essentially the same car, was a flop, so the numbers did not make any cents.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2013, 06:07:36 pm »
Wing, not surprised by your 9.1. My frequent big-GM rentals of the past have always delivered around 8.5 on long highway jaunts. These big cars are perfectly tuned for frugal and relaxed highway cruising.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2013, 06:25:30 pm »
The G8, essentially the same car, was a flop, so the numbers did not make any cents.
a coworker has one of those...it is a nice car...in fact, at the time of GM ditching Pontiac, they were making some of their best products.

the G8 didn't flop because it wasn't a good car...it flopped because too many people were leery of trusting their hard earned money on a company who had not only let them down too many times before, but one that was teetering on financial ruin.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2013, 07:27:34 pm »
a coworker has one of those...it is a nice car...in fact, at the time of GM ditching Pontiac, they were making some of their best products.

the G8 didn't flop because it wasn't a good car...it flopped because too many people were leery of trusting their hard earned money on a company who had not only let them down too many times before, but one that was teetering on financial ruin.

I think it sold poorly because it looked like nothing special.  A neighbour had one for quite a while before I noticed it was a G8 and not just a Grand Prix.  Only real car guys even know this car existed. I like the idea of the ultimate sleeper but it's not great for sales. 

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2013, 10:24:22 pm »

Even Chatosphere (sp.?) who sells Gm acknowledges this as a weak point. Seems like a good effort overall though and that mileage is impressive.

Red cars tend to wash out their tail lights, especially if the lights are large. Mazda Protege 5, for one, had this problem in an otherwise great looking  red.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2013, 11:48:40 pm »

I think it sold poorly because it looked like nothing special.  A neighbour had one for quite a while before I noticed it was a G8 and not just a Grand Prix.  Only real car guys even know this car existed. I like the idea of the ultimate sleeper but it's not great for sales.

I just commented on the poor sales in the market, as I liked the car too. There just isn't much of a market up here for a non-premium rwd sedan - even then, how many non-4Matic Benzes or Xdrive bimmers do we see these days? Privately owned Chargers and 300s are quite rare, too.  The interior of the G8 / SS is really cop-car grade on top of that, not matching the high price of the SS.