Author Topic: Thinking about Cruze or Fit DRAFT  (Read 4746 times)

Offline WannabeAutoBuyer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tercel
Thinking about Cruze or Fit DRAFT
« on: September 16, 2013, 02:13:52 am »
I've driven Tercels (two of them) for the past few decades.  My current Tercel is at the point where I want to replace it...too many things to fix, which I would if it wasn't for the fact that I'm sensitive to something in the ventilation.  More so in the current one, but also in my first on.  I'm not interested in pursuing the vent problem in this thread, as I've already devoted years to solve it and eventually accepted it as unchangeable.

I'll mostly be driving to/from work, with the occassional trip betwee Toronto & Ottawa (Highway 7 if possible for the scenery), with winter tires in the winter.  Mostly myself, but with elderly passengers in T.O.

I did the research and compared the metrics for the Cruze & Fit, and intend to test drive them.  Meantime, can anyone share their opinion about what they would prefer and why?

Finally, a friend said that he tried double clutching on a modern car and did something nasty to the gears.  Is this endemic of modern clutches?  What is a stick shift like on the Cruze or Fit?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about Cruze or Fit DRAFT
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 02:36:09 am »
Why would anyone double clutch in a modern car?  Double clutching is for transmissions without sychros...and every modern transmission has synchros. There is no need to do this.  Dumb.

The transmission in the Fit is very good, as are most Honda transmissions.

I like the Fit.  It's the more playful car of the two.  On the other hand, the Cruze is a quieter, more solid feeling car if that's what you're after.  The downside is the Cruze is HEAVY...to the tune of about 500 lb more than a Fit.  You have to decide what your priority is in those regards.

You might also want to check out the Ford Fiesta/Focus and the Kia Rio and Hyundai Elantra.  There are new Mazda3 and Corollas ready to hit the market too.

There are lots of good cars in this segment.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:58:54 am »
Mrs tpl had a Mk1 Fit 5mt for 6 1/2 years, just bought a second one ( had to change to an automatic)

Totally reliable. No failures at all.  Gearbox was excellent.  Interior very versatile.  More room in the backseat than a Golf. Never did worse than 7-7.2 on a tank of gas.

The new one ( Mk2) is just as versatile and useful but neither of us think that the automatic improves the car at all.

Cannot speak to the Cruze as the last Chevy I drove was in in 1978
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:27:36 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:23:20 am »
Is this endemic of modern clutches?  What is a stick shift like on the Cruze or Fit?

Modern clutches?  What's your friend drive, something pre WW2?

Go test drive a Fit.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:26:05 am »
Why would anyone double clutch in a modern car?  Double clutching is for transmissions without sychros...and every modern transmission has synchros. There is no need to do this.  Dumb.

The transmission in the Fit is very good, as are most Honda transmissions.

I like the Fit.  It's the more playful car of the two.  On the other hand, the Cruze is a quieter, more solid feeling car if that's what you're after.  The downside is the Cruze is HEAVY...to the tune of about 500 lb more than a Fit.  You have to decide what your priority is in those regards.

Echo to that.
If you intend to keep your car for a long time => Fit hands down.
Cruze may be tempting but I won't put any stock in GM's long term reliability.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 03:45:29 pm »
Double clutching does save wear on the synchros, but it's not required. I single clutch revmatch when I downshift, but I don't do anything special when upshifting as the RPM drop is adequate.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 04:34:10 pm »
Finally, a friend said that he tried double clutching on a modern car and did something nasty to the gears.  Is this endemic of modern clutches?  What is a stick shift like on the Cruze or Fit?

double clutching works perfectly fine on modern transmissions.  i do it sometimes.  is it absolutely necessary?  no.  but it does make the gear change smoother for me.

like people say above, Fit's manual is very very good.   if you plan on keeping the car long, Honda will probably serve you better(just expected reliability wise.)
Fit doesn't have as much 'Kit' or 'Toys' as some of its competitors but make up for it by playful nature and 'magic seat's utility.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:36 am »

double clutching works perfectly fine on modern transmissions.  i do it sometimes.  is it absolutely necessary?  no.  but it does make the gear change smoother for me.

If it makes the gear change smoother, you have issues with your synchros.  On a modern, properly operating manual, double clutching does ZERO.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 09:47:01 am »

Huh?
When do you double clutch?  Upshifts or downshifts?  Why?
Mr Pickypants

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 09:59:04 am »
I don't get the Cruze vs Fit question, they have nothing in common.

May as well talk about double clutching instead.

If the inquiry is legit, drive both and your answer will be obvious because they are so different.

Offline WannabeAutoBuyer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tercel
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 01:10:55 am »
Guys/gals,

I appreciate the info & opinions, but can we keep the juvenile name calling out of it?  That's what brought down the usenet newsgroups.  We have people who rely on synchros and those that save wear on them by double clutching.  I don't pretend to be an expert and champion one side or the other, but you're going to refer to outlooks other than yours as dumb, then I would appreciate it if you helped someone else.  On another thread.

Thanks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 01:29:41 am »
Guys/gals,

I appreciate the info & opinions, but can we keep the juvenile name calling out of it?  That's what brought down the usenet newsgroups.  We have people who rely on synchros and those that save wear on them by double clutching.  I don't pretend to be an expert and champion one side or the other, but you're going to refer to outlooks other than yours as dumb, then I would appreciate it if you helped someone else.  On another thread.

Thanks.

Double clutching does ZERO to save wear on synchros....and it can actually accelerate wear on the clutch, throw out bearing, etc.

So it's not that his outlook or he himself is dumb (I don't know him, obviously), it's just that possibly putting extra wear on his car/tranny components for no good reason is dumb.

Let's no confuse the two.

Have you made any headway in your vehicle choice?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12401
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 06:34:20 am »
As others have said, different vehicles in different segments, each populated by a host of credible alternatives.

As we have owned a Fit for many years - with my wife the primary driver - I can tell you that she couldn't be happier with the car.  That goes for me, too.  The manual transmission is damned near to perfect, and the car has a frisky, eager nature that makes it a hoot to drive.  And the amount of stuff you can haul in that thing with the trick rear seat borders on the unreal, given its small footprint.

Now, there are other entries in its class that offer nicer interiors and more gadgets - so it will depend upon your personal purchase priorities.  But I don't think there's a better combination of fun-to-drive and general utility out there.

I drove the Cruze in an autos.ca compact comparison a while back and came away impressed.  Solid ride, decent handling and a quiet interior.  I did find it a bit underpowered, and thus far, it is probably the class leader in recalls - so take from that what you will.  I wouldn't say it is a bad choice by any means, but I would likely choose something else from this very competitive segment.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 07:12:19 am »
Guys/gals,

Thanks.

Who is calling anybody names? :think:

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 08:57:00 am »
There's a redesigned Fit coming for 2014 - you might want to wait to see that (or to negotiate the price down on a 2013 Fit).

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,83716.20.html
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 09:42:23 am »
Guys/gals,

Thanks.

That's the thing about forums, if you ask for an opinion, you get one...may not be the one you wanted tho.

I think there are specific guidelines around name calling and such on autos.ca...boils down to not attacking the poster directly, only the comments of the poster. For example, you cannot call me obtuse but you can say my comment is obtuse.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 04:36:59 pm »

For example, you cannot call me obtuse but you can say my comment is obtuse.

Why not?   :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 05:48:41 pm »
If the shoe fits...