Poll

Under which category does your spouse's vehicle fall?

Sports Car
Coupe
Sedan
CUV/SUV
Minivan
Truck
Wagon/Hatchback

Author Topic: Cars of Autos.ca Spouses  (Read 16183 times)

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
Re: Cars of Autos.ca Spouses
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 09:36:44 pm »

With respect to the purchase decision of their spouse's vehicle, I wonder how many forum members:
  • Have no input into purchase decision of their spouse
  • Somewhat influence purchase decision
  • Greatly influence purchase decision
  • Make the purchase decision

I buy what I want to buy...because it's MY car.

IQ buys what she wants because it's HER car.

Sure, we'll talk about it, but ultimately, we buy what we want for our cars.  Even if I didn't like a car she was buying, it doesn't matter.  No my car.

:iagree:   my involvement was only as far as budget since I was going to be making the payments.   :D
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »
We don't really have a "his" and "hers" nowadays because we swap cars often. :) We can do that now because I pursued learning how to drive a manual.  :banana:

We thought about a more practical car, since we just have impractical ones.  :rofl2:  But we don't really need one, so we opted to favour more driver-focused vehicles over practicality.

All 3 cars get driven fairly regularly, as each car is fun to drive in its own way.

EDIT: Having picture problems... ok fixed, I think.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:47:48 pm by Julie »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 09:52:24 pm »
This is my wifes vehicle, 2007 Jeep Wrangler. She works for a civil engineering firm and has to make her way through construction sites and unprepared, virgin land, served her very well. Its a manual, which I love, because when it comes to buying a vehicle I have the freedom to purchase a vehicle with 3 pedals  ;D

I like this Jeep!

With respect to the purchase decision of their spouse's vehicle, I wonder how many forum members:

1   Have no input into purchase decision of their spouse
 2   Somewhat influence purchase decision
 3   Greatly influence purchase decision
 4   Make the purchase decision

In my case, for the RAV, it was 2 while for the Sienna it was 3/4.  Based on that trend next it will be 0   :rofl2:

Hers is silver, mine is green:

I should mention there is a tinge of buyers remorse setting in, due to lack of power at a certain speed/gear combo and poorer than expected fuel economy.  The Forester, even though it weighs about the same and has similar HP/torque numbers (and both have 4 speed AT's) is much better on hills and gets much better fuel economy.

Nice. I've always liked both the RAV4 and Forester. I liked the older CRV's as well.

I would say we are both 4 now. We used to be more 2 or 3. But now, we literally pick them together, in that we see them as shared cars both have to like driving.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 10:48:40 pm »
We got along fine with just 1 car for quite a few years.  Then the need came along to take our little guy to regular doctor and physio appointments, now his pre school. That when the '07 Mazda3 came along. My preference is for something smaller with nicer handling. The  Mazda (and now the new one) is primarily mine, and the Forester her's.

When we were buying, she was involved a little bit. She took her turn behind the wheel when we test drove something. She told me if she didn't like something, but for the most part left it up to me. So far, I haven't made a bad choice. Both Mazdas I bought entirely myself.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 11:28:24 pm »
^^^^Win!!
I think so. It all started with me looking for something a little sportier then the CR-V. It's dead reliable, boring as hell. The Audi dealer next to us had a real sweet 09 A4 Avant. Talked to the wife about and she said would like something with AWD. We went to look at the Audi and right away she no. It's a wagon ::). She said she likes the looks of the new Cherokee and honestly I like the looks of it too. So if works out, I get the TSX. I don't get to drive it often now, but when I do, it still puts a grin ear to ear on my face. I love driving it. Oh,yeah the Audi sold yesterday. :(
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 11:31:42 pm »
^^TSX is a manual?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 11:47:22 pm »
This is IQ's 2002 Lexus IS300 with manual transmission.

Such a pretty car.  A friend of mine here had one and replaced it with an FJ Cruiser - I still haven't gotten over it.  The original IS is just beautiful.  The new one is poorly proportioned and unattractive, at least to me.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2013, 11:50:15 pm »
This is IQ's 2002 Lexus IS300 with manual transmission.

Such a pretty car.  A friend of mine here had one and replaced it with an FJ Cruiser - I still haven't gotten over it.  The original IS is just beautiful.  The new one is poorly proportioned and unattractive, at least to me.

I also liked the old IS. Kinda of a classic IMO.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2013, 11:51:35 pm »
Mrs. Railton's FX37 Limited Edition...with the killer OEM wheels.
Railton

They are amazing - like turbines - I bet they could mince squirrels and racoons.  Just don't clip a skunk!   ;D

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2013, 11:53:31 pm »
I also liked the old IS. Kinda of a classic IMO.

Definitely one that will look awesome and be collectable in 25 years.  The instrument cluster looked like a mix of the best Rolex, Breitling, and Omega have to offer.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:55:42 pm by Scaerio »

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2013, 12:43:24 am »
^^TSX is a manual?
I wish, auto with paddle shifters. ;) Wife can drive a manual but refuses to.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2013, 12:53:57 am »
Wife can drive a manual but refuses to.

You must show her your pimp hand, and change this immediately!!    :rofl2:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2013, 09:46:18 am »
^^TSX is a manual?
I wish, auto with paddle shifters. ;) Wife can drive a manual but refuses to.

Mine wasn't happy when I got her an automatic.  I think she is used to it now as I don't get the "lack of clutch pedal" speech every time I'm the passenger in her car.  :)

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2013, 10:08:16 am »

+1 for adding a Wagon choice.

2 / 3 on the influence here, though it helps that we both like manual trans, fun to drive, somewhat practical cars.
8 yrs and 200k km's with nothing but routine maintenance. Only negatives - crappy, thin paint which is now really badly chipped and scratched and the 2-tone charcoal / silver interior is a :censor: to keep clean.

Still drives great, a much rawer feel than the S4 (obviously), but actually easier to chuck around in the snow being smaller, lighter with no electronic gizmos etc.

Will be a hard to decide what to replace it with, the interior is just that bit nicer than the WRX plus we'd now like something a bit bigger and the Forester turbo is not available with a manual.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2013, 10:11:26 am »
We don't really have a "his" and "hers" nowadays because we swap cars often. :) We can do that now because I pursued learning how to drive a manual.  :banana:

We thought about a more practical car, since we just have impractical ones.  :rofl2:  But we don't really need one, so we opted to favour more driver-focused vehicles over practicality.

All 3 cars get driven fairly regularly, as each car is fun to drive in its own way.

EDIT: Having picture problems... ok fixed, I think.

I love your driveway.....  :love:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2013, 10:15:28 am »

In my case, it's been 3 or 4.  Only once has she hated my choice - I traded in her 92 Mazda MX-3 (with a smooth 1.8L 24 valve DOHC V6) for a 98 Isuzu Rodeo.  I don't blame her - I also regretted it.

I am in between somewhat and greatly influence purchase decision, she picks the vehicle she wants but my opinion greatly influences what she buys.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2013, 10:16:15 am »
i couldn't answer the poll as econobox isn't an option!
 :rofl:

i think we have the most boring driving in the world...
"hers" is the city car... grocery getter, etc... Toyota Yaris.
she will only buy a hatch.

"Mine" is the trip car, go biking car.
it's not much of a "trip" car..... Toyota Matrix
we downsized from the V6 RAV until we have the cash for a trailer. (and need for a towing vehicle)

she plans a "serious" upgrade next as she's tired of driving entry econo boxes....
(yet her current choice for next vehicle is the Fiat 500c)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2013, 10:25:40 am »
My sincere apologies for leaving out the hatch/wagon option in the poll; it's been added!

I'd say it's a 3 for me in terms of influence over purchasing.  It seems like my wife likes something small likes a Civic these days for her car when she's able to drive.  I don't disagree.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2013, 10:34:54 am »
voted
 ;D

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2013, 10:44:33 am »
Mrs. Railton's FX37 Limited Edition...with the killer OEM wheels.
Railton

That has to be the very first time I've seen one of those and liked it...those are damn nice wheels.  I always tell my wife that's all it takes to turn a turd into a hot car (we had a Diplomat wagon once, I thought it was awesome, it had great wheels, she thought it was shi7. She NEVER looks at the wheels; it's almost the first place I look).  And yours proves the point!  Very sharp car...SUV...dare I say it's actually quite gorgeous.  What's wrong with you people...making me change my opinions on stuff...jeez!  :banghead:  :rofl2:

Yes, damn nice wheels. I saw some equally nice wheels on a new Nissan 370ZX yesterday at the dealer. They were forged Rays wheels. I have to go back there today to pick up the car so I will take a picture of them and post it.
Railton
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:21:40 pm by Railton »
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?