Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Volkswagen GTI (Mk 7)  (Read 15378 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Volkswagen GTI (Mk 7)
« on: September 11, 2013, 06:30:52 am »

Just like going to the movies, sometimes the best part of a full-line press drive is the coming attractions.

Read More...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: First Drive: 2015 Volkswagen GTI (Mk 7)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:27:26 am »
The seats are fantastic and – wait, hold on a second. It’s entirely possible that the car we end up getting won’t be quite this nice, so let’s reserve any further praise until we see what our version actually looks like in base trim with the plaid cloth seats. VW could still pull a fast one with their fast one and swath the entire thing in ill-fitting hard plastic. I will be royally annoyed if they do so, because this European version makes that A3 I drove a few months back look low rent.

And, it has to be said, we might not get this powertrain either, not entirely. The test car I drove made a healthy, though not earth-rending 217 hp, but odds are the one we get will have no more than 210. Why? Partly because of our lower-octane fuel, partly because there’s always some cheapskate who’ll ignore the manual and reach for the 87 octane, and thus VW always leaves plenty of power on the table. Not that this conservatism is a bad thing – just ask anyone who’s “chipped” their 2.0L turbo.

Great car but might not be what we get. I'll just wait to see the real Cdn version when it shows up. Isn't ours going to be built in Mexico now?

I'm most interested in the new Golf R.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:01 am »
Goddamn I love this car.  I think I may have mentioned that here before ... :)

At the VW event last month in the Centre of the Universe, they had a Mk7 GTI and a Golf diesel. 
In the GTI, get in, adjust the seat and centre armrest, thereyago.. perfect seating postition.  Everything just feels perfect.  To say this car speaks to me is a massive understatement.
The GTI was fun on the short handling course they had... take that car, drop 200 lbs, more power, better handling... awesome interior... is it legal to marry a car??  :P
Toughest choice with this car would be 3 pedals or DSG.

I also spent a while in the cabin of the Golf.. assume it was the top line model.. the interior was shockingly nice.  As nice or nicer than any Audi i've sat in. 

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:58:03 am »
Fwd... Want only if the cdn version comes with a real limited diff....unlike the electronic one found in the focus st that heat soak your brakes in the twistiest...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:43:57 am »
A shame there is no available cheap sensor that could detect 87 octane gas and turn the engine off.   I am sure APR and their peers have been working on the "chip" already.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:53:19 am »
A shame there is no available cheap sensor that could detect 87 octane gas and turn the engine off.    I am sure APR and their peers have been working on the "chip" already.

Along with a device that would come out of the dash somewhere and cuff you in the head

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:10:11 am »
Fwd... Want only if the cdn version comes with a real limited diff....unlike the electronic one found in the focus st that heat soak your brakes in the twistiest...

Easy fix for those that need it:

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/qdf41z
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »
Nice to see VW won't be watering down the good formula that they have.

"...what a joy it is that we live in a time where we have three legitimate hot hatches... "

Um, only three? Doesn't the WRX fit into this crowd?

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 06:40:06 pm »
A shame there is no available cheap sensor that could detect 87 octane gas and turn the engine off.   I am sure APR and their peers have been working on the "chip" already.
87 isn't the bright side of VW here in North America. In Europe is easy - it simply doesn't exist on gas stations...Something more, VW doesn't have here decent people's engine with regular gas. Shame for the international manufacturer with ambition to be world's #1 in 2018!

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 07:07:21 pm »
I'm very happy to see VW has cut 100kg out of this car.   The much higher weights, falling fuel efficiency and reliability were the reasons I moved away from the Golf/Rabbit.

I'd like to see another 150kg - 200kg lost but we'll have to wait 4 years.  In any case, it looks as though the Golf platform has been virtually perfected - a really enjoyable ride and a great package.

I can already feel the joy from owners-to-be.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 09:18:27 pm »

Great car but might not be what we get. I'll just wait to see the real Cdn version when it shows up. Isn't ours going to be built in Mexico now?

That's what I read.

Goddamn I love this car.  I think I may have mentioned that here before ... :)

At the VW event last month in the Centre of the Universe, they had a Mk7 GTI and a Golf diesel. 
In the GTI, get in, adjust the seat and centre armrest, thereyago.. perfect seating postition.  Everything just feels perfect.  To say this car speaks to me is a massive understatement.
The GTI was fun on the short handling course they had... take that car, drop 200 lbs, more power, better handling... awesome interior... is it legal to marry a car??  :P
Toughest choice with this car would be 3 pedals or DSG.

I also spent a while in the cabin of the Golf.. assume it was the top line model.. the interior was shockingly nice.  As nice or nicer than any Audi i've sat in. 

I already digged the Mk6 GTI, and this one looks even better.

I agree the new interiors look standout.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 07:03:48 am »

I'm most interested in the new Golf R.

I'm with you on that one! I'd love to get my hands on the Golf R, but hopefully the price won't be eye-watering.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:28:04 am »
Um, only three? Doesn't the WRX fit into this crowd?

Good point!

The Golf R looks good with the improved power. I'm curious to see what they do for transmissions when we get it - I didn't really have a problem with the pricing of the old one, but the car demanded tuning right off the bat to overcome the laggy 1st gear.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 09:28:23 am »
Very nice car. A little pricey but well worth the money.
Bombastic

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 04:49:16 pm »
that's why they are going to be making our GTis in Mexico...the nicely optioned GTi is $45k in Europe...as good as it is, it would collect dust on a dealer lots here at that price...building them in Mexico is cheaper AND qualifies for NAFTA (duty free), so those two factors alone likely allow a reduction in about $6k in pricing.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 05:04:03 pm »
that's why they are going to be making our GTis in Mexico...the nicely optioned GTi is $45k in Europe...as good as it is, it would collect dust on a dealer lots here at that price...building them in Mexico is cheaper AND qualifies for NAFTA (duty free), so those two factors alone likely allow a reduction in about $6k in pricing.

Do you really think VW will reduce the price on the GTi if its as good or better than the current model?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:41 pm »

Do you really think VW will reduce the price on the GTi if its as good or better than the current model?

That is 6K vs the European price  maybe...although european car prices are often quoted including tax as somewhere between 15 and 22% depending on country.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 05:18:13 pm »
And I can't help myself, I have to say it... it's a GTI, not a GTi. Always has been and probably always will be.

Every time I see a certain poster write "blah, blah, blah my GTi...", I think to myself, "oh, I didn't know you drove a Peugeot."  :stick:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:28:31 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 05:28:28 pm »
And I can't help myself, I have to say it... it's a GTI, not a GTi. Always has been and probably always will be.

Everytime I see a certain poster write "blah, blah, blah my GTi...", I think to myself, "oh, I didn't know you drove a Peugeot."  :stick:

I'm sitting right here and can hear you.  :rofl2:  Fine, I'll try to keep my caps lock key held down longer next time.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 05:33:28 pm »

Everytime I see a certain poster write "blah, blah, blah my GTi...", I think to myself, "oh, I didn't know you drove a Peugeot."  :stick:

I'm sitting right here and can hear you.  :rofl2:  Fine, I'll try to keep my caps lock key held down longer next time.

Thank-you, kind sir. :cheers:  ;D