Author Topic: Lexus IS Ride & Drive Experience Review  (Read 12575 times)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: Lexus IS Ride & Drive Experience Review
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2013, 09:37:17 am »
That was a very good event. In terms of sales I wonder how that worked out? Am I correct in assuming that only those folks who currently own a Lexus were invited.

You mentioned there wasn't any sales pressure of any kind and that's great to know and hopefully the people who attended got it. I'm sure the treatment and the experience will lead to more people 'upgrading'. Being low key, professional and thorough seems to be a Lexus forte.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2013, 10:15:32 am »
there wasn't any sales pressure of any kind

If so, smart.  Creating brand loyalty is about quality and long term ownership experience, not "conventional" sales tactics.

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 03:29:06 pm »
Just read this.  Love your article rrocket!  Very well written and organized.  Pictures are great too.  :)

---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 05:21:54 pm »
Thanks!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 05:59:17 pm »
A friend of mine (with a C63) just added an IS350 F-Sport to his garage for his missus.  I have an invite for some wheel time tonight.  I'd rather drive the C63 some more, but I'm keen to try the new Lexus.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2013, 05:07:27 pm »
A friend of mine (with a C63) just added an IS350 F-Sport to his garage for his missus.  I have an invite for some wheel time tonight.  I'd rather drive the C63 some more, but I'm keen to try the new Lexus.

Cool.  Can't wait to hear your impressions.  Hopefully it's the RWD version.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 06:09:23 pm »
Nope.  AWD.  And I LOVE it.  Wow.  The chassis is AMAZING, which has me dying to try a RWD version.  The previous IS was a pretty sweet car, but the new one is superb.  I only had about 30min behind the wheel, but managed to get to a couple nice road spots, and this car is terrific.

As for the interior, really, is anyone griping about it?  It's very nice, and for under $50K with AWD and over 300hp, I think this car is a great value.

As for interior room, the car feels nice to me.  The rear seat room is much improved, though I didn't think the previous car was poor.  The front seat room is dominated by dash, console, etc, like all cars in this segment, but the dash didn't feel high and the outward visibility was good.

Anyone that drive an old ES300 FWD and wrote Lexus off as for non-enthusiasts only needs to come back and drive the new IS.

Fit and finish?  Holy crap.  The paint is 10km deep and the shut lines are perfect and the interior fit is perfect and even over Edmonton washboard the car felt carved from a single block of granite.

I see why they bought it.  They looked at a whack of cars, and "the Lexus was the obvious choice."  It's their first Lexus, and maybe not their last of they keep making stuff like this car.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 06:33:06 pm »
Nope.  AWD.  And I LOVE it.  Wow.  The chassis is AMAZING, which has me dying to try a RWD version.  The previous IS was a pretty sweet car, but the new one is superb.  I only had about 30min behind the wheel, but managed to get to a couple nice road spots, and this car is terrific.

As for the interior, really, is anyone griping about it?  It's very nice, and for under $50K with AWD and over 300hp, I think this car is a great value.

As for interior room, the car feels nice to me.  The rear seat room is much improved, though I didn't think the previous car was poor.  The front seat room is dominated by dash, console, etc, like all cars in this segment, but the dash didn't feel high and the outward visibility was good.

Anyone that drive an old ES300 FWD and wrote Lexus off as for non-enthusiasts only needs to come back and drive the new IS.

Fit and finish?  Holy crap.  The paint is 10km deep and the shut lines are perfect and the interior fit is perfect and even over Edmonton washboard the car felt carved from a single block of granite.

I see why they bought it.  They looked at a whack of cars, and "the Lexus was the obvious choice."  It's their first Lexus, and maybe not their last of they keep making stuff like this car.

Yes, it is fantastic.  Maybe I'm being a little bit harsh on the 6 speed....because my IS350 had the 6 speed so there was no "wow" factor to it for me.  The 8 speed in RWD guise is just better.  Think about that for a second, Jon.  As good as the AWD IS350 is, the RWD is better still...more lively.  The 8 speed also keep the power where it needs to be.  It's fantastic in Sport+

Glad you enjoyed the IS.  I too think is has come a long way from my 2006...and compared to the competition we drove, the IS was the best of the bunch.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:34:50 pm by rrocket »

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 09:03:58 pm »

Thanks for the review!  The more I look at photos, the more I like the IS.  RWD IS350 with F Sport or F Sport Premium would be my choice.
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 10:51:33 pm »
The more I look at photos

I think (imho) that it looks better in person.  The front end is quite dramatic, and I think it's a good thing.  With stylish cars available right down to the compact economy segment, it's tougher to differentiate and appear luxurious. The new IS looks expensive.  In the interior, in pictures, I thought the center vents look awkward.  In the car though, the proportions work when you're sitting there.  There's still a lot of switches and clutter, but all of the cars in the segment suffer this thanks to all the gadgets and features.  Also in pics, I expected the dash to be higher in terms of the seating, but it's not.  Visibility is good.  The tilted audio controls are super easy to work, that's actually a great design feature.  As none of my cars have steering wheel controls, I noticed the dash mount audio right off.

The upsweep of the sheetmetal at the bottom of the rear door is not all that visible in pictures, but quite stunning in the tin.  There's a bit of "bangle" in the trunk lid, but it's well done. The rear of the car is a little plain compared to the other bits, but thanks to the severe sweep of the rear window and appearance of a short overhang, there's not much to be done there anyway.

I would love the 3.5L six mated to a 6-speed manual.  The engine is tractable, but really jumps at 4500rpm and the direct connection of a manual would be awesome.  But, they'd sell a handful of them...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2013, 10:53:40 pm »
Please arrange a test drive of the 8 speed and report back!!

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 12:37:23 pm »
Great write up Rrocket!  Sounds like it was a 1st class event.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2013, 12:41:47 pm »
I would love the 3.5L six mated to a 6-speed manual.  The engine is tractable, but really jumps at 4500rpm and the direct connection of a manual would be awesome.  But, they'd sell a handful of them...

Now that the IS is reported to be at the top of the field for handling and dynamics I wonder if the market would support more manuals. I could see the IS stealing 3 series sale for those that want the best handling machine.  That it comes with Lexus build quality and reliability is just a bonus.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.