Author Topic: "New Rules" for Sept 7  (Read 8067 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
"New Rules" for Sept 7
« on: September 07, 2013, 04:12:07 pm »
I'm a huge fan of Bill Maher, so her's my version for our forum:

Rule #1: Corvettes have been high performance automobiles with sophisticated drivelines and track-slaying performance for quite some time now.  The 1981 models were all about gold chains and so on, but those days are gone.  Serious car enthusiasts know this.

Rule #2: Stop pining away for a Camry, Lexus LS or RX, or other similar car with a manual transmission.  Even if they made it, you wouldn't buy it, and neither would anyone else.  If you want to bust balls over the fading manuals, attack Porsche and Ferrari, as they're making enthusiast machines that should have available manuals.  Hasn't Ferrari noticed that 599s with manuals are worth a LOT more in the used market?  People still want DIY shifters, even if they're slower on the track.

Rule#3: It's September, and thus we will soon have a plethora of threads on snow tires.  If you live in Canada, odds are you need them.  There's a few places where you might not, but the vast majority of Canucks should have snow tires on their cars.  So, get them.  They do cost something upfront, but keep in mind that you're not wearing out your other tires when the snows are on, so in the long run, you're not really out that much more.  As for which brand, pretty much any winter tire is better than an all season.  There will be ENDLESS debate on Blizzak vs X-Ice, but the reality is that they're both awesome.

Rule#4: If you post a question about your car, or a car you're thinking of buying, and it's your first post, and you never come back to the thread despite lots if replies, then you suck.  If you're new here and read this before you do that, please don't do it.

Rule#5: Hey, not everyone is an enthusiast.  I get it.  My missus sees cars as appliances, nothing more.  Hence, she doesn't belong to any auto-enthusiast forums.  Why not?  Again, she's not an enthusiast.  We love cars, and many of the ones we love the most are the least practical.  If you're thinking about posting how the Dodge Caravan gets better mileage AND has way more room than a Cayman at 1/5 the price, you're in the wrong place.  Now, many of us things like Mini-vans, CUV/SUVs and so on, as the reality of life is that we have kids/sports/whatever that we also like to be able to do.  But, we're also nuts for cars like Caymans, Corvettes, and other ridiculously impractical machines that get the juices flowing.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Re: "New Rules" for Sept 7
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 04:51:53 pm »
Rule #6.  We're enthusiasts, and we care about cars, so chances are we do less idiotic things on the road than others who don't share our inclination.  But...we're still idiots.  Brain fade might affect us less than others, but it will happen someday.  So while pointing our fingers at others (justifiably) we also recognize that we're not perfect.  It feels good, though we realize that posting on an enthusiast site will not likely do much in terms of getting rid of texting while driving, left lane bandits, people who don't signal, and other various miscreant behaviours observed.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:33:24 pm »
Rule #7. When somebody posts about their new car in 'Show and Shine' if you can't be nice about it then keep quiet.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:51:00 pm »
Rule #8.  There are too many rules. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:54:05 pm »
Rule #9. It's OK to be an enthusiast for a brand/vehicle/etc and stick up for it where possible, but don't be a hater of others. It just pisses everyone off.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:27:37 pm »
Interesting set of rules so far.

Dumping on someone's car in "Show and Shine" is just bad form. You may not agree with their decision, but they're the ones that have made the call and plunked down their cash, that should be respected.

Haters and fanbois both get very tiresome.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 07:09:49 pm »

Dumping on someone's car in "Show and Shine" is just bad form. You may not agree with their decision, but they're the ones that have made the call and plunked down their cash, that should be respected.

Very true.  However to some people haters and fanboys are everyone who doesn't agree with them.   Hard to say who has the right to draw that line.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 07:14:05 pm »

Very true.  However to some people haters and fanboys are everyone who doesn't agree with them.   Hard to say who has the right to draw that line.

+1

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 07:28:39 pm »

+ 100000000, very well said.  I've been on car forums, both as a Staff person and a contributor, for a long time and absolutely NOTHING gets more tiresome than a fanboi with blinders on. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 07:29:38 pm »

From my personal experience, it's pretty easy to distinguish the true haters and fanbois on a car forum. 

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 07:34:42 pm »

From my personal experience, it's pretty easy to distinguish the true haters and fanbois on a car forum.

you can have haters of fanboism :)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12401
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 07:35:45 pm »

The moderators.  There, that wasn't so hard.  :)
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 07:43:35 pm »

If only the world was so simple.  Just make a rule against everything that we personally don't like.  After living in a strata for years I found the people that make the rules are the greatest haters of them all.  I have respect for laws but no interest in rules.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12401
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 08:06:07 pm »

If only the world was so simple.  Just make a rule against everything that we personally don't like.  After living in a strata for years I found the people that make the rules are the greatest haters of them all.  I have respect for laws but no interest in rules.

I wouldn't say that applies to the moderators of this forum - but you are welcome to your view.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 08:09:34 pm »

I wouldn't say that applies to the moderators of this forum - but you are welcome to your view.

Agreed!  I find both Wing and Brig to be extremely laid back and fair on this forum. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »
Agreed!  I find both Wing and Brig to be extremely laid back and fair on this forum.

Just don't suggest to Brig that she wear sneakers with her jeans.   :o ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 08:11:32 pm »

...and Mark

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 08:33:36 pm »
Rule #10.  Don't have long threads arguing about trivial points such as the difference between fanbois and haters or two nearly identical Buicks.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 09:14:00 pm »
WTF?  I go away for a month and come back to this?

ALL OF YOU!  GO TO YOUR ROOMS!  NOW! 

:rofl2:

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 09:16:01 pm »
  If you're thinking about posting how the Dodge Caravan gets better mileage AND has way more room than a Cayman at 1/5 the price, you're in the wrong place.  Now, many of us things like Mini-vans, CUV/SUVs and so on, as the reality of life is that we have kids/sports/whatever that we also like to be able to do.  But, we're also nuts for cars like Caymans, Corvettes, and other ridiculously impractical machines that get the juices flowing.
I was going to try to write something witty about the Caravan but I'm so sleep deprived right now that it would probably come out ass backwards and :censor: everyone off so I'll just say that I got my darn van...(saving my pennies & dreaming of a non-daddy mobile)