Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla  (Read 50797 times)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: First Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 05:54:19 pm »
Boring...

That said, I'd buy this new Corolla over a Sentra.  Thank god that there are far better choices on the market than these 2.

Sorry but Sentra looks way better, even if it's not that exciting.  But thank God we have the new 3, Forte, and Elantra as alternatives.

Lol.  I fully expected this kind of answer from you.  After all, you do own a Juke.  ;)

But you are right,  thank god there are the alternatives.

I fully expected your jab at the Sentra.  Yes I own a Juke, but the new 3 would be my pick right now.

Agreed.  The new 3 is going to be quite the looker and benchmark in it's class.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: Re: First Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 06:02:44 pm »
Lol thanks guys.

Who said the SC was supposed to be an S2000 competitor? ?

I heard it was originally supposed to be Toyota's answer to the S2000 in concept stage, something a bit more upmarket and capable than the MR2. But something got out of hand so they just released it as a luxury sport tourer.

That's wrong. The SC430 was based off the Sport Coupe Concept.

Never was planned as a competitor for the S2000.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 06:06:21 pm »
Lol thanks guys.

I heard it was originally supposed to be Toyota's answer to the S2000 in concept stage, something a bit more upmarket and capable than the MR2. But something got out of hand so they just released it as a luxury sport tourer.

I dont know where anyone would think the SC430 and S2000 were supposed to be competitors. The S2000 is a sublime driving machine while the SC430 is a Chrysler Sebring for rich people  ;D  ;)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 08:24:24 pm »
Lol thanks guys.

I dont know where anyone would think the SC430 and S2000 were supposed to be competitors. The S2000 is a sublime driving machine while the SC430 is a Chrysler Sebring for rich people  ;D  ;)

ouch

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 08:52:18 pm »
I recently rented a pretty basic 2012 Corolla (manual windows!) recently and I found it ok except for the totally numb electric steering.  I see this new car as looking better and if they improved the steering feel, than all the better.  It's just one of those rolling appliances made for those looking for low low TOC. 

The only "hate" I have for the Corolla is in traffic. They are everywhere, and usually being driven in a manner that could best be described as slug-like. Members of the Anti-Destination League seem to have them as their top choice.

I would second that and also add those who have a SUV or even a truck that slooowwww right down for a little ant hill sized speed hump. The best I can think of is that they either having a raging case of 'roids or they don't want to spill their latte.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: First Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2013, 08:54:37 pm »
Lol thanks guys.

ouch

I'm just trying to bust our local Lexus slappies chops ;D

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2013, 08:55:51 pm »
I recently rented a pretty basic 2012 Corolla (manual windows!) recently and I found it ok except for the totally numb electric steering.  I see this new car as looking better and if they improved the steering feel, than all the better.  It's just one of those rolling appliances made for those looking for low low TOC. 

The only "hate" I have for the Corolla is in traffic. They are everywhere, and usually being driven in a manner that could best be described as slug-like. Members of the Anti-Destination League seem to have them as their top choice.

I would second that and also add those who have a SUV or even a truck that slooowwww right down for a little ant hill sized speed hump. The best I can think of is that they either having a raging case of 'roids or they don't want to spill their latte.

The speed bump thing kills me too ......move along slapnuts.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:22 pm »
That's one thing I liked about the Corolla. I could take 50 km/h speed bumps at 100 no problem lol, would hardly feel it. In my Mazda, I have to take those things at 50 and I still really feel it.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2013, 11:42:23 pm »

Best reason to like an SC430....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvZ6L9wjsnY
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2013, 09:33:05 am »
i think i'll have to wait for the cr size numbers... i've found so many of the manufacturers numbers seem just plain wrong when you get in them...

i'm with those that think the 4 speed is just dandy. the corolla has long been the appliance.. so why fight it? make basically the same car.... FOREVER... as the design gets older and older, the parts will get cheaper and cheaper, build processes will get better and better, and any and all R&D costs will have been paid... eventually, while every other compact gets stylish, techie and into the 25 grand category, the corolla will be the most reliable little car and cost 12 grand.

ah well. not a car i want, but it will be just fine for many.

as for the lexus stuff.. it was a joke... explaining why it's not all factually 100% correct just ruins the fun.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2013, 10:59:06 am »

The speed bump thing kills me too ......move along slapnuts.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I'm not sure what irritates me more; the paranoid anti-drivers who always seem to be pushed up way too close to the steering wheel and oblivious to anything else around them, or the mirrored sunglass guy who slouches back with his single hand draped over top of the steering wheel and thinks driving is a leisure activity!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:58:14 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2013, 01:19:22 pm »
I don't get the hate for the Corolla.  It's not an enthusiast car, and never will be.  Toyota has designed it to appeal to the greatest number of people possible.  This thing is all about sales, pure and simple.  It's not a niche car.  The vast majority of buyers want a comfortable car that gets excellent fuel economy, lasts a long time, is cheap to insure (premiums not driven up by ricer-racer claims), and holds it's value.

"Where's the 200hp version?"

Uh, why?  Other than a few folks kicking around here, 99.99% of Corolla buyers don't even know how many horsepower their cars has!  Seriously!  They just care that it has enough that it feels peppy.  "But Honda sells the Si."  Yes, they do. But Toyota is going after the mass market, period.

"Where's the nineteen speed DSG-style transmission." 

This car is $19,500 in what will be the most popular model/trim.  That price includes a CVT, LED headlamps, AC/Cruise/Etc, and a TON of safety gear including knee airbags.  Ask 99.99% of Corolla buyers how many gears in the transmission, and they don't care.  Enough that it feels right and gets great fuel economy.

"The handling needs to be razor sharp!!"

Why?  Oh, yeah, I forgot, the Corolla is THE autocross machine everyone's been waiting for!  Seriously, 99.99% of owners want a comfortable ride with predictable handling that has no surprises.  Toyota is not going after the small number of Si buyers, etc.  They're going wide, really wide.

"No rear discs!!??"

Our 2700lb Corolla stops very well.  It rides on pretty conservative tires (though we have H-rated performance tires on ours) and the brakes work very well.  Maybe not a on track day or with the car being wrung out on a mountain road, but who does that in a Corolla?  The rear drums work more than well enough.  And they LAST.  Our car has 125K on it, and the rear shoes are barely half worn.  It's a very front heavy FWD car that has no performance mission whatsoever.

Would I buy a Corolla for myself?  No.  Is it the PERFECT car for my missus?  Yes.  She has no idea of how many HP the engine makes or the number of speeds in the transmission or whether it has rear discs or not.  Really.  She has no clue about those things.  She knows it will go 550-600km on 42L of fuel in all city driving and over 800km on the highway.  She knows it costs $600/yr to insure.  She knows it has never needed a repair and rarely needs servicing.  She knows it rides nicely and never surprises her when she turns the wheel or uses one of the pedals.  (unlike some other cars we've owned)  Perfect.  So perfect in fact, that she'd never consider another brand were she shopping today.  If she needed a new car, she'd go to the Toyota dealer and find something there.  Maybe a RAV, or Venza, or another sedan.  Probably another Corolla.

How is that bad business?  If I were an auto exec, I'd dream about creating customers like that.  Toyota has LOTS of them.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2013, 01:58:25 pm »
you convincing people that the corolla is great is like me trying to convince people that not all sales are crooks.

very valid points, but i don't think we're selling anyone!

i actually agree wholeheartedly though. i bet my wife would love it... as much as she could ever love a car. oh, and 100% on rear drums... they last forever and i don't think all that many people on today's roads really need to worry that much about heat dissipation.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2013, 07:54:31 pm »
So perfect in fact, that she'd never consider another brand were she shopping today.  If she needed a new car, she'd go to the Toyota dealer and find something there.  Maybe a RAV, or Venza, or another sedan.  Probably another Corolla.

Your wife sounds a lot like mine, except she likes the "H" on the front of her cars.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2013, 08:15:34 pm »
Drove by the dealership tonite , they had 2014 in white sitting out front and it looks might fine

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2013, 08:31:44 pm »
I agree with those Corolla comments John.  Mrs tpl does know something about the workings of cars but she cares not. Her Fit does for her exactly as you suggest for the Corolla. Doesn't go wrong, predictable everything, good economy and now accessibility matters, she can get her walker in the back easily and then get to the drivers seat safely.    Have to say tho' she'd prefer her manny tranny back if her left foot started working again.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »
Well said John.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2013, 10:40:56 pm »
Lots of comments on this forum giving the old Corolla attributes to its new iteration. Like simplicity, reliability, resale value...
Folks, this is a new car that was redone from the ground. Let's see if it is as good as you imply. I have some reservations on that matter. One thing I'm sure. This car will sell a lot based on the glory of previous model alone. I hate the interior design btw. Previous one was more generic and perhaps that was the reason it was selling for so many people.
Bombastic

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2013, 10:51:43 pm »
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with this Corolla. I think they know their target audience pretty well and are focused on that.

That doesn't mean that a Corolla (Auris) GT-S hatch with a high end powertrain and tuned suspension wouldn't bring in a wider variety of customers.

The problem that Toyota could run into is that it becomes an old person's brand. Buick is trying to ditch that image. Honda is still trying to deal with that perception in Europe, in the UK in particular, and in a number of European markets Toyota has dropped the Corolla name altogether for similar reasons.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2013, 07:06:59 am »
suggested new nomenclature   Toyota Crawler.....Toyota Coronary..Toyota Coroner

any more I missed... ;) :stick: .

tpl any "new" joints in the missuses future ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once