Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla  (Read 50817 times)

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
Re: First Drive: 2014 Toyota Corolla
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 01:11:10 pm »
On top of this is the dino basic four gang auto!

As much as I like to bash Toyota for still selling the Cars with 4-speed Automatics there is an upside.

The Toyota 4 speed auto transmission has a long storied history of solid reliability. I know of many 90's and early 2000's corolla's with this transmission with 200,000 - to over 300,000 kms of trouble free operation by just following the recommended  auto transmission maintenance schedule.

There is no such history for the new CVT transmission. Dare I say if you are a long term type of new car purchaser to go for a CE model with the bullet proof 4 speed.
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 01:26:37 pm »
Boring...

That said, I'd buy this new Corolla over a Sentra.  Thank god that there are far better choices on the market than these 2.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:30:13 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 01:30:52 pm »
((British accent)) And here we have a rare species, the Lexus SC430. Originally conceived to be a competitor to the S2000, it turned into an overweight and overpriced breed. Unable to match the athleticism of its Honda rival, you are more likely to find the SC430 grazing on grass at your local country club or receiving a manicure on a glamourous high street.

Hey DKaz, is the British accent hamster on the rear seat Richard Hammond from last evening's Top Gear episode? You don't sleep, man!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 01:37:20 pm »
Who said the SC was supposed to be an S2000 competitor? ?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 01:37:32 pm »
Boring...

That said, I'd buy this new Corolla over a Sentra.  Thank god that there are far better choices on the market than these 2.

Sorry but Sentra looks way better, even if it's not that exciting.  But thank God we have the new 3, Forte, and Elantra as alternatives.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »
Am I missing something here?

The Corolla S trim is $19,215 vs the LE trim at $19,500 but

The S includes the same standard features as the LE, but adds a unique grille and rear fascia, front fog lights, 17-inch tires and sporty machined alloys, rear spoiler, front sport seats with premium fabric seat cloth and heated front seats, a unique two-gauge instrument cluster with a digital TFT information display, and leather-wrapped steering wheel.

So what is the incentive for the LE? It seems you need to upgrade the LE with the upgrade package to get at least most of the features the S get's standard (and the S get's it cheaper to boot).

Back when I got the SE-R in 2007, I was looking at the Corolloa LE / S / XRS.  The 'S' and 'LE are more an either-or option rather than a step up option.

There was the base CE, then you could go 'sporty' (looking) with the S or go 'luxury' with the LE. That's why the pricing was similar, but with different interior and external differentiators in upgraded but different seat material, wheels, dash gauges, etc.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:50:58 pm by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 01:56:43 pm »
Yup 1700 RPM at 100 km/hr. hmmm. Now what.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 01:56:56 pm »
Lol thanks guys.

Who said the SC was supposed to be an S2000 competitor? ?

I heard it was originally supposed to be Toyota's answer to the S2000 in concept stage, something a bit more upmarket and capable than the MR2. But something got out of hand so they just released it as a luxury sport tourer.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 03:20:26 pm »
The fact that air conditioning remains an option on any trim level surprises me.

As far as econoboxes go, many drivers don't like to use A/C because of its draw on engine power and associated drop in fuel economy (even though A/C is more efficient than windows being open at speeds above 60km/h -ish).

I suspect that's why - offer a savings to those who know they'll never use it.

My first car was a 1997 Chevy Cavalier (hence my hatred for all things GM) - with the A/C running, the 2.2L 120hp 4-banger coupled to a 3-speed automatic (quit y'er bitchin on the 4-speeds) took forever to get up to the 40km/h speed limit on my residential street.  I never, ever used the A/C in that car unless I was on the highway (which was essentially never back then).

They'll probably sell a couple, but it helps keep the sticker price down.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 03:25:39 pm »
Just the base CE has optional air conditioning. S, LE has standard A/C with optional auto climate control, LE CVT has standard ACC.

I can't think of any compact car that has standard. Not Elantra, not Forte, not 3, not Civic.

However, the $13k Mitsubishi Mirage really sub compact will come not only with standard A/C, it'll even have standard auto climate control.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 03:38:46 pm »
Boring...

In your opinion
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Northernridge

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 03:38:58 pm »
Read the article, reviewed the pics...I'm sure this car will help maintain Corolla's winning streak. Not ground breaking design but that's not the Corolla's thing anyway...I think they've moved away from the perpetual plain-jane syndrome by designing the car to look more on par with the segment. I do like the interior based on these pics. While not very exciting I can't see how you'd go wrong buying one of these...the Corolla must have a very good overall satisfaction rating. I can't imagine there are many, "I hate my Corolla" people.

Edit – There are lots of, "I hate your Corolla" people though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:41:13 pm by Northernridge »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 04:09:21 pm »
Read the article, reviewed the pics...I'm sure this car will help maintain Corolla's winning streak. Not ground breaking design but that's not the Corolla's thing anyway...I think they've moved away from the perpetual plain-jane syndrome by designing the car to look more on par with the segment. I do like the interior based on these pics. While not very exciting I can't see how you'd go wrong buying one of these...the Corolla must have a very good overall satisfaction rating. I can't imagine there are many, "I hate my Corolla" people.

It's nothing compared for the vitriol reserved for bmw!  This is the ideal car for people who dont actually like cars and simply want a reliable appliance to get them around.  Nothing wrong with that!

Too bad it wasnt available as a wagon as it would be great for hauling around my dogs.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 04:13:56 pm »

It's nothing compared for the vitriol reserved for bmw!  This is the ideal car for people who dont actually like cars and simply want a reliable appliance to get them around.  Nothing wrong with that!

Too bad it wasnt available as a wagon as it would be great for hauling around my dogs.

Thats why I dont get the hate towards the Corolla....its made for people who see cars as a necessary evil, people who dont see driving as enjoyable but want something that is efficient, reliable, has good resale and is cheap. I would never buy a Corolla, but I totally understand why some would and this car sells by the trainload, most people arent gear heads.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 04:20:04 pm »
Thats why I dont get the hate towards the Corolla....its made for people who see cars as a necessary evil, people who dont see driving as enjoyable but want something that is efficient, reliable, has good resale and is cheap. I would never buy a Corolla, but I totally understand why some would and this car sells by the trainload, most people arent gear heads.

The only "hate" I have for the Corolla is in traffic. They are everywhere, and usually being driven in a manner that could best be described as slug-like. Members of the Anti-Destination League seem to have them as their top choice.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 04:22:50 pm »

The only "hate" I have for the Corolla is in traffic. They are everywhere, and usually being driven in a manner that could best be described as slug-like. Members of the Anti-Destination League seem to have them as their top choice.

Not the cars fault though...and not nearly as bad as the number of M BMWs, AMG Mercs, 5.0 Mustangs, WRX....etc,  that have held me up. A Corolla is holding up traffic, you understand....some moron in a M3 isnt accelerating down the on ramp to the highway, that drives me nuts.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 04:55:36 pm »
Members of the Anti-Destination League seem to have them as their top choice.

LOL, i was just gonna say something opposite.

Corolla's seem to be bought by people that drive for the Destination.  Not the Drive itself.

But i agree with you, corollas tend to be driven quite slowly.

Not the cars fault though...and not nearly as bad as the number of M BMWs, AMG Mercs, 5.0 Mustangs, WRX....etc,  that have held me up. A Corolla is holding up traffic, you understand....some moron in a M3 isnt accelerating down the on ramp to the highway, that drives me nuts.

I'm glad to be of service, Fob..   I'm always flooring it on the on-ramp/off-ramp, at a light, etc...  as long as my path is clear(no corolla in front) and the car is fully warmed up.  ;D  ;)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 05:14:54 pm »
Boring...

Sorry but Sentra looks way better, even if it's not that exciting.  But thank God we have the new 3, Forte, and Elantra as alternatives.

Lol.  I fully expected this kind of answer from you.  After all, you do own a Juke.  ;)

But you are right,  thank god there are the alternatives.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 05:18:15 pm »
Boring...

In your opinion

Of course, it's my opinion.  Just about everything that people state on this forum is opinion.  It's your opinion that this is my opinion as well.  ;)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 05:52:49 pm »
Boring...

Lol.  I fully expected this kind of answer from you.  After all, you do own a Juke.  ;)

But you are right,  thank god there are the alternatives.

I fully expected your jab at the Sentra.  Yes I own a Juke, but the new 3 would be my pick right now.