Poll

Per the subject

No way, you kidding me?!
Yes, of course.  What's wrong with it?

Author Topic: Do you allow your passenger to prop their legs on the dash or out the window?  (Read 7636 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
^^Your wife REALLY is the boss, eh?

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
The Aerio is 8 years old and wearing battle scars, and with Suzuki pulling out of the Canadian market next year, the resale value is in the sh!tter.  I'm over worrying about exterior or interior condition.  As for safety - an adult is responsible for his/her actions.  Kids always ride in the back and have to keep all bits and pieces inside the car.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Jees, is there any safe place in your car where the airbags can't get you?

Maybe the trunk.  You could fill it with bubble pack or those packaging bags of air to cushion oneself.   :)

Northernridge

My wife is more disgusted with dash-feet than I am...ask her about windshield-feet people – foot prints on the inside of your windshield...nice. (Note, if sex was involved you get a free pass).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

She's over 18, she can do as she pleases.  If she wants her feet on the dash, what am I gonna do?  Take my hands off the wheel and bitchslap her?  Meh...whatever.  It's her choice.

You can say "GTFO of my car if you're going to ride with your feet on the dash.  It's unsafe and gross.  When I'm driving, I make the rules."  Or something similar.   ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Hell no, the wife rides cross legged on the seat on long rides and I dont like that, but she keeps any important bits away from the airbags. The only way there are outstreched female limbs on the airbags is if I was stopped.....when I was a teenager  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
My wife is more disgusted with dash-feet than I am...ask her about windshield-feet people – foot prints on the inside of your windshield...nice. (Note, if sex was involved you get a free pass).
:laugh:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
I had somebody that didn't want to wear their seatbelt in the back seat to which I said, put it on or walk, its your choice. They said, they find it uncomfortable and I said, I find when we crash and you come through the middle breaking my neck its not much fun either....you ridding or walking. They put it on.

Jees, is there any safe place in your car where the airbags can't get you?

I now see where GM has side air bags on the inside of the front seat (IE: right side of the driver's seat) which I imagine would help protect the two people in the front from hitting each other. I imagine the person that can invent the instant car bubble will be paid very well.

She's over 18, she can do as she pleases.  If she wants her feet on the dash, what am I gonna do?  Take my hands off the wheel and bitchslap her?  Meh...whatever.  It's her choice.

I guess you have never had to help a young adult go to the bathroom or clean up after them because they couldn't make it, Just keep thinking about this if you ever got into an accident and her life was changed forever. Trust me, its not fun for either party.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Never, no exceptions...I don't even want a relationship with people who know people that do that.

Well then, I guess we can't be friends... :( My wife does it all the time.  She knows the danger, my eldest child gives her crap, and if he's driving threatens to stop the car right now! ( :rofl: such a toughy! lol)  She knows the risks, "just don't have an accident then!".

One of my moms friends won't be doing it anymore; she did have her feet on the dashboard when they hit a deer.  Yup, airbags went off, folder her in half, ruined her back for the rest of her life.  Good thing she's over 60...I guess (aint I sympathetic  ::))...at least it won't be too long...unless she lives to 100...then that's a long time for a moment of comfort, and now a lifetime of discomfort.  :bang:

:shake:

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche

You can say "GTFO of my car if you're going to ride with your feet on the dash.  It's unsafe and gross.  When I'm driving, I make the rules."  Or something similar.   ;D

:bow2:  Do they have that in a suppository too?  If the passenger says, "Up yours..."

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
No way.  Unsafe AND unsanitary.  GTFO if you don't like to rules.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
True, and the warnings pasted all over inside the car and in the manual warn against rear seat passengers leaning against the side also.  Makes me think that kids dislike traveling in cars more than we did because while they're stuck in one position, we could lounge all over including laying on the rear window shelf.

Probably a good reason to keep them in car seats with good head rests for as long as possible.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Wife did that a few times when we first started dating. I found it "cute" and sexy but on the third-ish attempt, I kindly suggested it wasn't safe. I was assertive enough so it never happened again.
Kids get an earful if they attempt to unfasten themselves to pick up a dropped toy.
As the other posters said, one stupid mistake ruins the rest of the life for the whole family.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
i just don't like feet on my dash. i don't worry about the airbag situation... sure it would be in my argument for why they shouldn't do it (why not use whatever facts are on your side!), but i don't make many decisions in my life based on worst case scenarios.

a girlfriend a while back tried to put her legs on the dash of the pacer.... she probably still has burn marks... black dash in a fishbowl = hotter than hell dash... hence why it is starting to curl away from itself!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
never allowed to have feet OUT of the car.

while i've had a strict rule of not letting my wife put her feet on the dash (get the car dirty), the Matrix which i don't care for too much, i've allowed her.  (more like given up)

I am concerned about the airbag and have stressed to her, imagine IF...
but she brushes it off with, if something's going to happen i'll move my feet back.   ::)

thankfully she only does this on really extended drives and not very oftern.
i always somewhat protest but have kinda let go a bit...  only stressing the safety issue.

at least when she does do this, i get to enjoy a nice pair of extended smooth soft legs next to me.
 :lick:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
I'm grateful my wife doesn't do this in the car.  Those airbags have a lot of force in them. 

I recall reading an article waaay back from a professional driver who said that he drove cars equipped with an airbag at the 4 o'clock and 7 o'clock position so that if the airbag goes off, his arms are forced down to his lap and not up over this head. It sounds safer. I've always  wondered if this is true and how this can be proved either way.

Aren't airbags the reason they stopped teaching hands on the wheel at "10 and 2" and went to "9 and 3"?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

:rofl: let me know how that goes after you've had 25+ years together. :stick:  :P  At least she doesn't put her feet on the glass.  I'm not getting more flexible as I get older, and I hate cleaning the windshield on the inside as it is.

I've been with IQ for 19 years.

There is no fighting when either of us corrects the other for what is unwanted/undesireable behavior.

I'm not sure why poor behavior is accepted whether it's you wife, child...or the neighbors dog.  Unwanted behavior should be fixed...and it shouldn't cause a fight, either. 

Is it that big of a deal to say "Please don't do that" ??
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:00:59 pm by rrocket »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
i get to enjoy a nice pair of extended smooth soft legs next to me.

I guess that means I can also put my feet up on your dash  :-*

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
i get to enjoy a nice pair of extended smooth soft legs next to me.

I guess that means I can also put my feet up on your dash  :-*

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
^^^  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: