Poll

Per the subject

No way, you kidding me?!
Yes, of course.  What's wrong with it?

Author Topic: Do you allow your passenger to prop their legs on the dash or out the window?  (Read 7650 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Do you let your front seat passenger prop their legs up on the dash or out he window?  Simple question, but the location of the passenger side airbag(s) brings the safety of this practice into question.

So be honest....does it bug you, or has it even occurred to you?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Hell no!!  And putting feet on the dash is a huge HELL NO!!

A guy I knew on a sportbike used to grab people's feet hanging out the windows.  Used to scare the crap out of them!!

In an accident this would be terrible!!  Go look at that post of someone's foot on the dash during airbag deployment....Let me find it.

GRAPHIC PHOTOS AND STORY OF WHAT HAPPENS WHEN FOOT IS ON DASH AND AIRBAG DEPLOYS:  http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/02/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-trauma-surgeon-get-your-foot-off-of-my-dash/

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:55:38 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Depends how good the passenger's legs are!
There are lots of things passengers can do while you're driving that are immensely dangerous...  :D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Nope, not allowed in our car.

A fairly minor accident could result in a broken pelvis or femur, dislocated hip, broken ankle or apparently head injuries if the knee is blown back into the passenger's face.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

A fairly minor accident could result in a broken pelvis or femur, dislocated hip, broken ankle or apparently head injuries if the knee is blown back into the passenger's face.

In the story I linked to....the airbag deployed and shot the foot through the windshield like a rocket.  You can imagine the damage to a foot being forced through a car's windshield...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Never. No respect for my car, not worth my time.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile

In the story I linked to....the airbag deployed and shot the foot through the windshield like a rocket.  You can imagine the damage to a foot being forced through a car's windshield...

Most people have no clue how hard an airbag deploys.

They had an info night at the local Subaru dealer and they demonstrated steering wheel and dash airbags deploying. A bunch of people there were flabbergasted by how violently they went off.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Depends how good the passenger's legs are!
There are lots of things passengers can do while you're driving that are immensely dangerous...  :D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;)

the other week on my way to banff, i saw a driver who put her leg out the window.... 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
No way and scratch my dash and/or painted window sills?    I tell my daughter not to knit in the passenger seat.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
A guy at work has a Volvo.  The one time he asked me to check out his car, there were footprints all over the windshield in front of the passenger seat.

I almost hurled.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
A guy at work has a Volvo.  The one time he asked me to check out his car, there were footprints all over the windshield in front of the passenger seat.

I almost hurled.

Did the windshield smell like old stinky feet?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile

I almost hurled.

I've had that happen, but the car wasn't in motion at the time. It was also a long, long time ago. ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Anyone I know would know not to even think about that.

Northernridge

Never, no exceptions...I don't even want a relationship with people who know people that do that. It might be the one thing that could cause me to commit murder on the spot. I had an employee once who was car shopping and said that his wife would take off her shoes in each car they test drove to see how comfortable it was to put her feet on the dash. I couldn't help myself – I made...insensitive comments about his wife's genetics and his choice in wives. I apologized later but didn't mean it.  :-X

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
I'm grateful my wife doesn't do this in the car.  Those airbags have a lot of force in them. 

I recall reading an article waaay back from a professional driver who said that he drove cars equipped with an airbag at the 4 o'clock and 7 o'clock position so that if the airbag goes off, his arms are forced down to his lap and not up over this head. It sounds safer. I've always  wondered if this is true and how this can be proved either way.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I'm grateful my wife doesn't do this in the car.  Those airbags have a lot of force in them. 

I recall reading an article waaay back from a professional driver who said that he drove cars equipped with an airbag at the 4 o'clock and 7 o'clock position so that if the airbag goes off, his arms are forced down to his lap and not up over this head. It sounds safer. I've always  wondered if this is true and how this can be proved either way.

They sure do!!  When you see the airbag prank videos of 200lb guys getting launched 5 feet into the air....you know those airbags have power!

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6

They sure do!!  When you see the airbag prank videos of 200lb guys getting launched 5 feet into the air....you know those airbags have power!

There's a scene in one of the "Dumbest Stuff on Wheels" episodes (I love this show!) where this big guy blows an airbag underneath a riding mower and lands on his head.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
I used to in my own car when my girlfriend was driving. But these were old cars. But after hearing about someone flying through the windshield in I don't remember an emergency brake or accident situation, not anymore.

I try not to rest my head against the B pillar either because of the side airbags.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile

I try not to rest my head against the B pillar either because of the side airbags.

True, and the warnings pasted all over inside the car and in the manual warn against rear seat passengers leaning against the side also.  Makes me think that kids dislike traveling in cars more than we did because while they're stuck in one position, we could lounge all over including laying on the rear window shelf.

I don't allow passengers to put their feet on the dash.  Kids have to be warned about this because they don't know about these things.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Northernridge

Jees, is there any safe place in your car where the airbags can't get you?