Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ vs 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited  (Read 32809 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ vs 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2013, 01:15:53 pm »
What a shocker...the Fusion product manager trying to put a positive spin on fleet sales despite nearly every analyst thinking it's a bad thing.

Uh boy....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2013, 01:49:45 pm »
What a shocker...the Fusion product manager trying to put a positive spin on fleet sales despite nearly every analyst thinking it's a bad thing.

Uh boy....

As opposed to what, the negative spin Toyota puts in their press releases?

As long as the transaction price is staying up, it doesn't matter much who the buyer is.

It's pretty well known that government contracts and non-rental fleet sales are more lucrative than selling to rental agencies.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2013, 01:55:16 pm »
Back on topic, Consumer Reports never found any lapses in quality in their Impala, which like the other cars they test, was purchased anonymously. Their summary was:

With the release of our latest road tests, the 2014 Chevrolet Impala becomes the highest-scoring sedan in Consumer Reports’ ratings. Among all cars, its 95-point score falls short of just the Tesla Model S ultra-luxury hatchback (99) and BMW 1 Series coupe (97). No other domestic car has topped the sedans ratings since we began tracking scores in that fashion over 20 years ago.

Consumer Reports’ engineers found the Impala rides like a luxury sedan, with a cushy and controlled demeanor, while delivering surprisingly agile handling, capable acceleration, and excellent braking. The Impala corners quite well for a large car, with prompt turn-in response and controlled body lean. Steering is nicely weighted; it’s light enough for parking maneuvers and provides decent feedback. When pushed to its handling limits, the Impala proved secure, responsive, balanced, and easy to control.

Inside, the spacious cabin sets a new standard for Chevrolet fit and finish, with generally high-quality materials and trim. The backseat is roomy and comfortable, the trunk is huge, and controls are refreshingly intuitive and easy to use. The 22 mpg overall Consumer Reports measured with the Impala’s 3.6-liter V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission is competitive, but it’s not the best in its class.

Despite its high test score, this Impala is too new for Consumer Reports to have reliability data, so it can't be Recommended. To be Recommended, a vehicle must perform well in CR’s battery of tests, have average or better reliability in CR’s Annual Auto Survey, and perform well in government and industry crash tests.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/07/2014-chevrolet-impala-highest-scoring-sedan-consumer-reports/index.htm?loginMethod=auto

As with any vehicle in production, tolerances can vary and it's up to the purchaser to do a proper inspection prior to signing on the dotted line.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2013, 05:39:53 pm »
Back on topic, Consumer Reports never found any lapses in quality in their Impala, which like the other cars they test, was purchased anonymously. Their summary was:

With the release of our latest road tests, the 2014 Chevrolet Impala becomes the highest-scoring sedan in Consumer Reports’ ratings. Among all cars, its 95-point score falls short of just the Tesla Model S ultra-luxury hatchback (99) and BMW 1 Series coupe (97). No other domestic car has topped the sedans ratings since we began tracking scores in that fashion over 20 years ago.

Consumer Reports’ engineers found the Impala rides like a luxury sedan, with a cushy and controlled demeanor, while delivering surprisingly agile handling, capable acceleration, and excellent braking. The Impala corners quite well for a large car, with prompt turn-in response and controlled body lean. Steering is nicely weighted; it’s light enough for parking maneuvers and provides decent feedback. When pushed to its handling limits, the Impala proved secure, responsive, balanced, and easy to control.

Inside, the spacious cabin sets a new standard for Chevrolet fit and finish, with generally high-quality materials and trim. The backseat is roomy and comfortable, the trunk is huge, and controls are refreshingly intuitive and easy to use. The 22 mpg overall Consumer Reports measured with the Impala’s 3.6-liter V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission is competitive, but it’s not the best in its class.

Despite its high test score, this Impala is too new for Consumer Reports to have reliability data, so it can't be Recommended. To be Recommended, a vehicle must perform well in CR’s battery of tests, have average or better reliability in CR’s Annual Auto Survey, and perform well in government and industry crash tests.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/07/2014-chevrolet-impala-highest-scoring-sedan-consumer-reports/index.htm?loginMethod=auto

As with any vehicle in production, tolerances can vary and it's up to the purchaser to do a proper inspection prior to signing on the dotted line.

Then how come can they give a recommended rating to a brand new model from Toyota?  I call shenanigans.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

As opposed to what, the negative spin Toyota puts in their press releases?

As long as the transaction price is staying up, it doesn't matter much who the buyer is.

It's pretty well known that government contracts and non-rental fleet sales are more lucrative than selling to rental agencies.

At the time GM was spiraling into bankruptcy, some of their models had higher transaction prices than the competition.

Higher transaction price doesn't always equal higher profits, as GM had demonstrated in the past.

But yes...back on topic.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2013, 06:59:04 pm »
I always find it a laugh that the most boring cars have the most lively debates. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I always find it a laugh that the most boring cars have the most lively debates.

Keeps us busy!

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2013, 07:15:12 pm »
I was bored at work today too

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I was bored at work today too

You had to work today? That sucks.....

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
At the time GM was spiraling into bankruptcy, some of their models had higher transaction prices than the competition.

Higher transaction price doesn't always equal higher profits, as GM had demonstrated in the past.

Those canny Japanese... sell a car at a price below cost, and still make a huge profit!

Just more Toyota magic I guess.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2013, 02:54:28 pm »
I think you're confused. Transaction price can be high, and the company in general can lose money off it.

Transaction price can be low, yet be profitable.

Neither case has anything to do with selling below cost.

I'd further explain, but I think it might be over your head.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2013, 08:01:26 am »

Exactly!  Just have to read the next review of a hybrid for proof of that!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2013, 08:24:51 am »
I think you're confused. Transaction price can be high, and the company in general can lose money off it.

Yep....  GM's problem (along with declining market share) was out of control costs.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2013, 10:06:13 am »

This.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Thally1948

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Jocuri cu masini
  • Cars: Toyota supra
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2014, 06:33:50 pm »
Toyota said Monday that a hydrogen-powered vehicle that emits only water vapor as consume will proceed on sale in the U.S. in 2015, a year previous than it promised just two months before.

The Japanese automaker made the broadcast Monday at the International CES, the expertise industry's annual gadget display. The shift came months after competitor automakers Hyundai and Honda both said they'd start trading vehicles with that technology in the U.S. in 2015.

The electric powered powered vehicle, which Toyota calls FCV for now, values hydrogen as fuel for a electric battery. Toyota says it will have a range of 300 miles, can accelerate from standstill to 60 miles per hour in 10 seconds, and can refuel its hydrogen container in three to five minutes.

Toyota says it will aim on selling vehicles in California at first. employed with investigators at the University of California, Irvine, Toyota said the first 10,000 vehicles can be supported with only 68 refueling stations from San Francisco to San Diego. It documented that California has approved $200 million to build about 20 fueling positions by 2015, 40 by 2016 and 100 by 2024.

"This infrastructure thing is going to happen," said Bob Carter, senior vice leader of automotive operations for Toyota engine Sales U.S.A. Inc.

Carter said all the vehicles in California could be assisted with just 15 percent of the 10,000 gas positions in the state now if they were spaced rightly. Researchers estimated where expected FCV buyers would need hydrogen stations and designed to put them within six minutes of their dwelling or work.

"We don't need a position on every corner," he said.

Carter supplemented that the U.S. agency of Toyota had recently increased its request for vehicles. He said that a 95 per hundred cut in production charges from the primary prototype would help it make fuel cell vehicles that are "a reasonable cost for a allotment of people."

Toyota Motor Corp. has pledged to sell its fuel cell vehicles for $50,000 to $100,000, aspiring for the smaller end of the variety.
Cand vreau sa joc jocuri cu camioane imi imaginez ca sunt un conducator de masini de taxi in jocuri cu parcari sau in jocuri cu motociclete.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2014, 08:57:47 am »
Toyota said Monday that a hydrogen-powered vehicle that emits only water vapor as consume will proceed on sale in the U.S. in 2015, a year previous than it promised just two months before.

The Japanese automaker made the broadcast Monday at the International CES, the expertise industry's annual gadget display. The shift came months after competitor automakers Hyundai and Honda both said they'd start trading vehicles with that technology in the U.S. in 2015.

The electric powered powered vehicle, which Toyota calls FCV for now, values hydrogen as fuel for a electric battery. Toyota says it will have a range of 300 miles, can accelerate from standstill to 60 miles per hour in 10 seconds, and can refuel its hydrogen container in three to five minutes.

Toyota says it will aim on selling vehicles in California at first. employed with investigators at the University of California, Irvine, Toyota said the first 10,000 vehicles can be supported with only 68 refueling stations from San Francisco to San Diego. It documented that California has approved $200 million to build about 20 fueling positions by 2015, 40 by 2016 and 100 by 2024.

"This infrastructure thing is going to happen," said Bob Carter, senior vice leader of automotive operations for Toyota engine Sales U.S.A. Inc.

Carter said all the vehicles in California could be assisted with just 15 percent of the 10,000 gas positions in the state now if they were spaced rightly. Researchers estimated where expected FCV buyers would need hydrogen stations and designed to put them within six minutes of their dwelling or work.

"We don't need a position on every corner," he said.

Carter supplemented that the U.S. agency of Toyota had recently increased its request for vehicles. He said that a 95 per hundred cut in production charges from the primary prototype would help it make fuel cell vehicles that are "a reasonable cost for a allotment of people."

Toyota Motor Corp. has pledged to sell its fuel cell vehicles for $50,000 to $100,000, aspiring for the smaller end of the variety.

thanks for the info, now go back to your Toyota sales desk in Miami...

not even I am that blatant and obvious about the GMs I sell...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.