Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ vs 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited  (Read 32829 times)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ vs 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 12:06:01 pm »
some things do never change - but at least it doesnt look like a wound weeping puss - the Toyota. God its terrible to look at - no flair, no soul, no style whatsoever. Even gandpa would kick it off his lawn...

The Impala looks fantastic and is 100000% better than it used to be. Give it another year to sort out the minor issues, and it will be the pick of the crop.

You bet, and how many times have we heard questionable fit and finish, cheap dull plastics, in Toyota the past 5+ years?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 12:09:05 pm »
So if they rank the Impala higher than the Avalon from their favourite son, there has to be something to it. We'll see how the reliability shakes out over time.

CR loves Subaru's, Corvettes, VW's, Mazda's, Honda's, BMW's, etc.  Rating wise the brands they like are all over the map. They tend to be especially fond of VW group.

Northernridge

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 01:13:23 pm »
I think you should add the Hyundai Genesis to the list of competitors.

Good idea. I rented a V8 one in Arizona for a week, drove the crap out of it (on freaking perfect roads) and quite liked it. Now that you've mentioned it I'd prefer the Genesis to either of these for its V8, rear wheel drive and ok delivery of features/comfort/luxury. It just needs to find some more style. My rental:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 01:31:32 pm »
1) I'm not stuck on the Avalon's looks. , but describing the Impala as "fantastic" borders on the absurd.  Unless somebody moved the bar so that "not ugly" and "fantastic" are now somehow synonymous.  Oh well, people like what they like, and sometimes claim to like what they sell.

2) Is the Impala any quicker?  There must be some upside to all that extra fuel it chugs down.

3) Put me in the "rather drive an old Genesis than a new Impala or Avalon" camp.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:34:05 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 01:35:02 pm »

Good idea. I rented a V8 one in Arizona for a week, drove the crap out of it (on freaking perfect roads) and quite liked it. Now that you've mentioned it I'd prefer the Genesis to either of these for its V8, rear wheel drive and ok delivery of features/comfort/luxury. It just needs to find some more style. My rental:

Our realtor had one of these Genesis and I really liked the car. It was quiet, comfortable and had plenty of pickup. Honestly, in that category of large cars, the Genesis, in my opinion, is the best looking one of the bunch. Not saying its gorgeous or anything, but it at least has some style.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 01:51:14 pm »
Genesis is just bland imo, though it's hard to make that call really as I think I've only ever seen one on the road. It does have rwd and a V8 which is a huge bonus over the Avalon and Impala, however, if shopping for a V8 rwd luxury there would not be any Hyundai on my shopping list anyway.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 01:53:45 pm »
Genesis is just bland imo, though it's hard to make that call really as I think I've only ever seen one on the road. It does have rwd and a V8 which is a huge bonus over the Avalon and Impala, however, if shopping for a V8 rwd luxury there would not be any Hyundai on my shopping list anyway.

But an E/5series/A6 would be a hell of a lot more expensive, the Genesis is affordable, RWD, V8 and is actually quite luxurious.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 02:01:55 pm »
dang, that Toyota is ugly....

Quite handsome, the Chev..

Sort of off topic, tiny bit, but why can't manufacturers get the interior panels to align correctly?   why?

from the article it's obvious the Toyota is better put together with better materials inside. and it's cheaper to boot.

So why is domestic not measuring up in the interior department?   it's not like they charge any less for crappier interior.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:05:40 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 02:04:12 pm »
dang, that Toyota is ugly....

Quite handsome, the Chev..

Sort of off topic, tiny bit, but why can't manufacturers get the interior panels to align correctly?   why?

Youd think at the scale of manufacturing they are operating at, something like that would be very well sorted. Maybe its workers??

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 02:04:33 pm »

But an E/5series/A6 would be a hell of a lot more expensive, the Genesis is affordable, RWD, V8 and is actually quite luxurious.

True....there is a price difference, but well worth it imo. Lets add the Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger to the mix as well, I'd still rather have one of those if price was top concern. I also wonder how close the Infiniti is to a full load Genisis.

Offline TerryB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Porsche Boxster, Hyundai Genesis Sedan, Mazda MX5, Mazda3, Mercury Villager, Nissan Altima, Acura Integra (x4)
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 02:07:24 pm »

Our realtor had one of these Genesis and I really liked the car. It was quiet, comfortable and had plenty of pickup. Honestly, in that category of large cars, the Genesis, in my opinion, is the best looking one of the bunch. Not saying its gorgeous or anything, but it at least has some style.

We have a 2012 Genesis Premium with the V6.  It has the GDI and has more than enough power.  We love it so far.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »

True....there is a price difference, but well worth it imo. Lets add the Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger to the mix as well, I'd still rather have one of those if price was top concern. I also wonder how close the Infiniti is to a full load Genisis.

I wouldn't have Chryco twins.  not just because they are chrysler, but the interior and suspension just don't last in them.

Oh, not only that.. they are crappy to drive. (forgot about this. :))

Between Infiniti and Genesis...  Toss up, but leaning towards Infiniti.

as for german 3 you mention being worth it... i don't know.  i don't make enough money to say one way or another.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:10:58 pm by aquadorhj »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 02:09:11 pm »

The only was Id touch any of the Chry. Co. stuff is if they were SRT's....the other models dont do anything for me. Infinity what, the M (I think thats the one??).....I have no idea.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 02:20:32 pm »
I looked at an Impala on the lot recently.  The thing is huge and to my eyes, rather bulky looking.  The bulging hips do nothing but make it look bigger.  The interior is typical GM overstyle.  It just looks ostentatious.  The front end of the Avalon is odd looking, but I don't mind the profile, which is similar to  the Impala only sleaker.  The rear end of the Avalon looks better to me also  Two litres per 100 Km difference in fuel economy is nothing to disregard and the drive train of the Avalon is excellent.  So, the Avalon wins using my preferences.

That being said, I may be in their target demographic, but both of these vehicles are old mens' cars to my way of thinking and I wouldn't drive either.  Maybe when I'm 10 or 15 years older, I'll soften a bit to these land barges.  Right now I need a compact wagon or even a CUV, if I had no choice, for my active life style, and preferably European engineered to better carve out the corners without much body lean.  Happy motoring!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 06:47:17 pm »
1) I'm not stuck on the Avalon's looks. , but describing the Impala as "fantastic" borders on the absurd.  Unless somebody moved the bar so that "not ugly" and "fantastic" are now somehow synonymous.  Oh well, people like what they like, and sometimes claim to like what they sell.

2) Is the Impala any quicker?  There must be some upside to all that extra fuel it chugs down.

3) Put me in the "rather drive an old Genesis than a new Impala or Avalon" camp.
although I do sell the Impala, I also would rather put hard earned cash down on a Genesis for its RWD and V8...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 06:48:05 pm »
^^Make mine the 429HP "5.0 R" Genesis, please!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Northernridge

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 06:48:39 pm »
^^Make mine the 429HP "5.0 R" Genesis, please!!

Mine too.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 06:49:55 pm »

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 06:51:20 pm »
What a shock. Good old Asian Driver strikes again. More below after the requisite shot:

The more things change, the more they stay the same:

" At first glance the Impala looks fairly fetching with its leather seats and soft-touch materials throughout. Closer inspection reveals some strange and alarming discoveries. Contrasting stitching from the seat leather is a common contemporary touch, but when two adjacent surfaces feature different colours of stitching as seen in the Impala’s armrest versus seat, it simply looks like cost cutting or carelessness on the designer’s part.

Panel fitment in the Impala’s interior was a bit of a concern on our test car. The dashboard aligns a centimeter or two higher where it meets the driver’s door, but the same measure lower where it meets the passenger door
."

Total BS. The photos certainly do not support the conclusion of a"a centimeter or two" difference. Exaggerate much? The contrast stitching is on the seats only, not everywhere. It's SUPPOSED to be that way. The stitching on the dash, the door panels, etc, is not a contrasting color either. You don't care for the look? Fine. But don't call it "careless" or "cost-cutting". Blue thread costs the same as tan thread. Personally I think the Avalon's gaping maw looks like a large-mouth bass and the dashboard looks like the designer took a few tabs of LSD while drawing it. But that is personal taste, just like the Imp's seat stitching.

I know it would kill this publication to give a GM car a good review but geez Louise, get a grip.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Northernridge

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 06:54:10 pm »
So I think the early Genesis like the one I rented only had the V8 and that it was similar/same to the R Spec stove. Can't quite swear to it though. I'll say again that the one we rented pulled very well on those smooth Arizona freeways. No sport sedan but a nice cruiser sedan that wasn't dead either.