Author Topic: New Buyer!!! ???  (Read 2711 times)

Offline nbeez

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: n/a
New Buyer!!! ???
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:09:16 pm »
Hello All.

I need help.
This is my first car and  i need some opinions on which car to invest research time. I intend to buy a use car so im doing my best to research as much as I can.
Originally  I wanted a Honda Civic but my  overall research  has lead to a shocking reality that this car is just not in my budget. :(  :'( ??? ( along with a bunch of other cars i have basically cut off my list because of my friends warnings ) At the moment I'm stuck on the  2009 Volkswagen Jetta City, it seems to be compact,fuel efficient and basically overall just what i need to get to work and do other miscellaneous day to day stuff.

However with that being said , i would just love to get any feedback as to the pro and cons of the Jetta as a new female driver.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated in advance   ;D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: New Buyer!!! ???
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:48:49 pm »
what is your budget?

depending on the options, city jetta wasn't that a great deal.  2007~2008 jetta or Rabbit(golf) would have a lot of stuff that came as options on City versions of jetta and golf as standard equipment, and would be more car for your dollar.

but if you are set on city jetta, it's an OK ride as long as you are fine with low power.

other cars you might want to look at would be same vintage Mazda 3. 

or Nissan Sentra or Versa might be good options as well.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:20:53 pm »
what is your budget?

depending on the options, city jetta wasn't that a great deal.  2007~2008 jetta or Rabbit(golf) would have a lot of stuff that came as options on City versions of jetta and golf as standard equipment, and would be more car for your dollar.

but if you are set on city jetta, it's an OK ride as long as you are fine with low power.

other cars you might want to look at would be same vintage Mazda 3. 

or Nissan Sentra or Versa might be good options as well.

LOTS of options!  Great place to be in Canada with the variety of used compact automobiles.  It would appear many 2009 Citys are in the low teens pricing wise, but are ANCIENT technology compared to your other options.

Welcome to Autos too!   ;D

I had a 2009 Sentra SE-R (was a great car) and also a 2007 Mazda 5 (based on the Mazda 3 platform). Both are good bets though you may hear chatter later in this thread about CVT transmissions and Nissan....mine was great!

Many forget the Mitsubishi Lancer (redesigned in 2007) - we had a 2004 Lancer Sportback in the prior body style and it currently has 200,000 kms on it with basic service.  Solid! 2011 example:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Mitsubishi/Lancer/MISSISSAUGA/Ontario/5_16604480_ON20071210101843092/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO

Also overlooked is the Suzuki SX4.  Very decent little sedan or hatchback for the money. Nice loaded unit here:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Suzuki/SX4/BRAMPTON/Ontario/5_17643412_ON20080204114134734/?ursrc=ppl&showcpo=ShowCPO

Finally, the Kia Forte:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Kia/Forte/NEWMARKET/Ontario/5_17637089_ON20090513104443851/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO

The BEST advice is likely from other posters here with personal experience with the units they suggest.

Wander through the Erin Mills Auto Mall - I live not far from there - great way to scope things out.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:23:04 pm by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 10:34:00 am »
I'd likely walk away from any VW...I'm sure some people will tell you not to here, but do a bit of research and the share amount of horror stories out there should be enough to put you away....

now what's your budget again? I'm assuming around 10-12k?

If that's the case I'd be seriously looking at 2010-11 Elantra and Elantra Touring (I particular think this would fit you the best), 2010-2012 Fusion....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 10:50:43 am »
I would stay away from the City Jetta or City Golf as they were basically Mk IV cars which were notoriously unreliable. From 2007  on  VW has improved its reliability a lot.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 06:19:33 pm »
I have been doing a fair bit of research on used compact sedans since I am trying to get a good used one for my son.  The civics are expensive compared to others out there.  Kia Rios or Hyundai Elantra or Accents are good used deals around here.  I think with the dramatic remodelling the older models have become more affordable and a lot of them come well equipped with heated seats, auto everything etc...  I think the older model Rio 5s look very nice.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:14:42 am »
For my money I'd get older/higher mileage Civic instead of VW, especially the "City", as it was old MKIV design (introduced in Europe in 1997).