Author Topic: Does your spouse think that YOU are a good driver...?  (Read 5627 times)

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
Does your spouse think that YOU are a good driver...?
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:04:08 am »
This article gave me a good laugh.   ;D

My wife is a pretty good driver, but that doesn't mean I like being in the passenger seat.  She's a bit of a leadfoot and doesn't seem to be as aware of what's going on as I'd like.  And she sometimes uses that damn cell phone.  >:(

But maybe I'm just being a male chauvinist.  Maybe she isn't all that crazy about my driving.  Hmmm...

###

iStockPhoto.com

How can I tell my husband he's a terrible driver?
LORRAINE SOMMERFELD
Published Thursday, Aug. 15, 2013 07:00AM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Aug. 15, 2013 07:00AM EDT

‘My husband is a terrible driver. ... a truly horrible driver. He tailgates constantly and can’t even keep the car in the lane. On highways, he routinely hits the rumble strips. ... and even that is not enough to convince him that he’s not staying in the lane. He thinks he’s a great driver. So now our oldest daughter is 16 and ... he wants to teach her to drive. WHAT DO I DO?”

I came across this letter to an advice columnist in the Washington Post. It wasn’t in a driving section; it was where it should be: a living section. Because this isn’t a driving issue, it’s a behavioural one. “Send her to a professional,” came the reply.

A young woman pulled me aside a few months ago, said that she wasn’t a good driver, and asked if I had any advice on how she could get better. I paused for a couple of beats, because nobody ever admits they are poor drivers. This girl had progressed through the necessary lessons, but knew it wasn’t enough. The first thing I did was tell her it was just as important that she recognized it, as it is rare.

Telling someone they’re a terrible driver is like telling them they’re a terrible lover. They won’t believe you, it will anger them, and now they’re going to wonder who else agrees with you. They might also start to question all those times they’ve been stuck driving alone.

For most, driving is not an innate skill. It takes practice, experience and dedication. Enjoying it isn’t enough to make you good at it; you have a role when you’re piloting a car that involves the rights and safety of everybody else on the road as well as your passengers. Some people respect this, and some just don’t care. It’s an uphill battle when people use the yardstick of how many crashes they’ve been in as a measure of their competence behind the wheel. I don’t want to leave a bunch of angry near-misses in my wake, either.

An instructor once noted that our natural line of vision is still essentially that of a caveman: we are looking low and near so we can chase after a woolly mammoth on foot to catch it. In a car, we have to aim at something farther away that we’ll get to much faster, and much of driving is vision. If a driver is still chasing woolly mammoths, he’s going to be routinely surprised by that car pulling out of the driveway.

Here’s a handy litmus test to determine a driver’s skill: you either feel safe when they’re behind the wheel or you don’t. There are also many categories of bad drivers. There are those who don’t have enough experience and can get better; there are those who are experiencing a deterioration of health or loss of cognitive skills at the twilight of a driving career; and there are those who believe they are excellent drivers and think I’m talking about somebody else.

If the number one fight between couples is about money, I’m going to venture that driving is up there, too. The choices are bleak – you can say nothing as you grind your teeth down to nubs, or you can say something and start another fight.

Something the advice seeker up top seems to forget however, is that daughter has been driving with her dad for all her life now. Bad habits get ingrained through automotive osmosis: that speed limits are merely suggestions, that stop is short for stop-tional, and it only matters if you get caught. He is not only endangering her safety, he is passing along his terrible habits.

The answer was good, but incomplete. Many people can see the wisdom in letting a pro teach your teen how to drive. But I worry about a bigger issue: how do you empower your kid to refuse to drive with someone they feel is endangering them? Do you yourself leave room for someone to express that concern to you?

Physicians will tell you it’s a brutal battle telling an older driver it’s time to hang up the keys, but what about someone who is just a terrible driver? Inattentive is as dangerous as aggressive; overly cautious deserves its own category. Sometimes people confuse being able to afford an expensive car with being good at driving it.

As for the woman who asked about her husband, I’m glad she’s worried on behalf of her daughter. But why on earth is she still driving with someone she considers a menace? Rumble strips shouldn’t be used like bumper guards at a bowling alley or training wheels on a bike, and if your marriage can’t survive a talk about driving, good luck when the money troubles start. Or your in-laws come to stay for a month.

lorraineonline.ca

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-life/how-can-i-tell-my-husband-hes-a-terrible-driver/article13762159/
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Does your spouse think that YOU are a good driver...?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:08:46 am »
Mine thinks I'm the best driver in the world (cause I am).  She's not bad, but never scares me at least.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:14:34 am »
Ive scared my wife a few times by driving down a mountain road at a "little" above the speed limit. For the most part though, I do all the driving and she tells me she likes driving with me because Im a safe driver.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 11:33:35 am »
my wife is decent. she could be a quite good driver but just doesn't care enough about driving or cars to want to be better.

basically, she lets me drive all the time.

i've always been the primary driver in my family... i'm the youngest of three kids (and the only male if that makes a difference) and the keys were always given to me to drive... i like to think it's because everyone feels comfortable with me behind the wheel...

i have speeding tickets galore (15 overs mostly), just one accident (i was rear ended in a multi car situation)... i really don't think those tell any kind of story however.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:34:40 am »
Hey, Ive kicked the speeding ticket habit a long time ago, photoradar is different so it doesnt count. I pride myself in having the lowest insurance rates I can, but given the right road and the right car......come on, release the dogs of war!!! I agree with you, someone driving "aggressively" is a hell of a lot less dangerous than the schmuck who is texting while doing 10Km/h under the limit in the fast lane.

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:37:17 am »
Mrs. thinks I'm slightly aggressive but thankful that we survived the 'road warrior' early years...think irreverent and angry young man in a 3/4 ton pickup.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:49:27 pm »
She used to think I drove too fast. Now she thinks I drive too slow.

The last ticket I had was in 1991, I think. The only other ticket I had was in 1987 as was my only accident.

Lady Leadfoot took the rear wing off the 2008 Outback when she hit the garage door backing out. She generally is not aware of what's going on around her.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 01:49:54 pm »
My wife doesn't drive.  It's better for the public.

She thinks I drive to closely to the car ahead, and change lanes too often.

My side of the story is that I follow close behind cars that cruise in the passing lane, and change lanes because of those idiots cruising in the passing lane.

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 01:51:18 pm »
My wife doesn't drive.  It's better for the public.

She thinks I drive to closely to the car ahead, and change lanes too often.

My side of the story is that I follow close behind cars that cruise in the passing lane, and change lanes because of those idiots cruising in the passing lane.

I like that you have a side of the story.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 02:06:09 pm »
I find my wife to be quite a decent driver.  She's very attentive, never talks on her cell, etc.  And most importantly, she knows when to adjust her speed for the driving conditions.  Having said that, she wouldn't care if she ever had to drive again.  She doesn't hate driving, but she doesn't care if she never drove again either.  Virtually the only time that she drives with me in the car is when I've had a couple of beer at a restaurant or a friend's place.  But yeah, my wife thinks that I'm a good driver and prefers me to do all of the driving. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:12:24 pm by CanuckS2K »
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 02:10:34 pm »
I do almost all of the driving and she says she feels safe with me driving. She has an awful habit of pointing out extremely obvious driving directions, like "you need tomake the next left" when we're simply driving to/from work the on same route I've taken thousands of time....So annoying, most of the time I let it slide...but like 10% of the time I completely lose my :censor:.

Her driving is ok; she's not as smooth with the gas as I'd like, but she's managed to drive through some really bad conditions in our old RWD cars, so I guess that means something.

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 02:14:11 pm »
I also like how the thread asks; Does your spouse think that YOU are a good driver...? and yet we are now reporting on our wives driving.  :rofl2:

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 02:18:01 pm »
I also like how the thread asks; Does your spouse think that YOU are a good driver...? and yet we are now reporting on our wives driving.  :rofl2:

Because we're certainly not gonna call our spouse and asked them how they think about our driving. :D

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 02:18:13 pm »
I am comfortable with my wife driving and vice-versa.

In the city, she does a lot of the driving because I just find it tedious.

On road-trips, if there is any complicated navigation to be done, she drives 'cause she doesn't want to navigate.  If it is single-lane then I'll drive as she is a bit timid on passing.  I am a bit more .... ummm .... aggressive.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 02:37:41 pm »
My wife thinks I drive too aggressively at times (and I do), but she admits that on highway drives, we get places faster when I'm driving (and even better when she's sleeping).  But we always switch drivers every 2 or 3 hours, so it balances out.  I think she's a good driver, too, she's quite capable.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 02:39:32 pm »
My wife is actually a great driver, she puts on a lot of miles over a year because of her job. I absolutely have no problems with her driving.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 02:48:27 pm »
My wife tells everyone that I'm a good/safe driver. She's very nice that way. And she never complains about my driving, for which I'm very grateful. I remember one time, though, when she told me to take her to the nearest train station as she couldn't take being in the car anymore. It was on a twisty road and I might have got her a little car sick.

My wife is a good driver. Apparently, she was the best of her group in the winter driving school where she was sent together with her colleagues.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 02:55:09 pm »
My wife thinks I'm a good and safe driver but she hates the way I drive  :) My wife drives an S2000 and is a good driver but I don't like the way she drives  :P

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 10:25:13 pm »
My husband is a much better driver than me, I will admit.

He drives safely and has fast reflexes. He also leaves a safe distance and is very attentive to his surroundings.

I am OK, maybe below average actually - who knows. I love to drive with precision and smoothly..... (which is what attracts me to performance driving), but I tend to be a little impulsive, am absent-minded, don't like routine, and am lazy.

But have never been responsible for an accident and have actually never curbed rims yet or done other things like a lot of women do, like rip off mirrors, etc, LOL.

When we are together, I really rather let my husband drive. Unless he's tired.

EDIT: Oops, didn't actually answer the question. No, he thinks I drive too fast.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:31:24 pm by Julie »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 11:04:35 pm »
she thinks i drive aggressively too often.   and often too impatient.

especially in my car.   I drive the rabbit half the time, and i'm much calmer more often when i'm in Rabbit.

but other times, she says i'm ok driver.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D