Author Topic: Civic Si vs. WRX vs. GTI vs. Mazdaspeed3 vs. Focus ST  (Read 5558 times)

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
Civic Si vs. WRX vs. GTI vs. Mazdaspeed3 vs. Focus ST
« on: August 15, 2013, 03:24:55 pm »
I was looking for a fun-to-drive 4-door hatchback with power, AWD, and HIDs, and my budget was under $30,000 + Freight + Taxes.

I cross-shopped the aforementioned 5 cars and came up with 18 different criteria that were important to me.

Judging by above total, it seems like the GTI comes out on the top with ST being second followed closely by MS3 and Si.

But, this is assuming that all dimensions have equal value which is really not the case.  I then devised a plan on how to solve this by placing importance on different dimensions.  For example, I value drivetrain more so I placed a higher # on AWD than I did on looks.

I placed 15% importance in AWD, 10% in power, fun-to-drive, and price, a further 5% for HIDs, interior features, maintenace costs, reliability, size, comfort, fuel economy, transmission, and the remaining 15% were divided equally for the rest of the criteria.

Here are the final results!

I just couldn't decide between the Focus ST and the Mazdaspeed3 based on my subjective and objective importance.

Maximum points any car could obtain would be 500.  Both Focus ST and MS3 had 300, or 60%.

All five cars are clear winners based on what one values more. 

Even though I value power and AWD, the WRX did not win out as it placed low scores on price, lack of HIDs, lack of interior features, highest fuel economy, only car with 5-speed transmission, and the highest insurance costs.  Everything adds up, and at the end, Focus ST was the winner for me.

But all five cars are excellent and each offers something that the other doesn't, and there are no wrong choices.

In the end, I'm extremely happy with my choice and grateful that we have so much competition.  At the end, it is the customer that benefits the most.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Civic Si vs. WRX vs. GTI vs. Mazdaspeed3 vs. Focus ST
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:43:58 pm »
As someone who loves charts and tables:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 04:01:00 pm »
Way to choose with your heart!!! /sarcasm

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 04:12:45 pm »
Nice quantitative analysis.   Though I have to ask:  Did you make that list before or after deciding on the ST?  For most people, they've likely already made up their mind after test driving the cars and making a list like this is just an exercise in justifying the purchase you've already decided to make.

I can't question your choice of the ST.  I've never driven or even sat in one, but reviews seem very positive.   But I'm surprised you liked the Speed3 more than the WRX and GTI.  I just never warmed up to that car and thought it was a hot mess to drive.  (Admittedly, I test drove it in the rain... torque steer monster at launch)

Either way.  Nice choice.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 04:39:31 pm »
After test driving all 5 card, I was dead set on the speed3.

Then I did the analysis and realized the merits of focus st.

Rest is history.

To those who are saying I didn't make an emotional decision?  Well I was definitely torn between either the ST or the speed3.  The quantitative analysis made it even more difficult.

So I drove the two again back to back and realized I appreciate the focus ST more.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 05:51:08 pm »
Wow...car shopping with the Borg. Good choice I guess.....  :-\
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 06:54:05 pm »
Congrats on your new ride!  We are living in a golden age where you have so many great cars to choose from.

I was a bit surprised on your rating of reliability and roominess of the ST.  A 1 out of 5 is Yugo territory.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 06:59:53 pm »
Congrats on your new ride!  We are living in a golden age where you have so many great cars to choose from.

I was a bit surprised on your rating of reliability and roominess of the ST.  A 1 out of 5 is Yugo territory.

I was wondering if he gave it a 1 for reliability because there is no data for the St yet??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 07:24:41 pm »
Well, focus' back seat area is terribly small..  i think it's even smaller than IS.   ;D

good choise, none the less, OP, where's the pictures!!!!

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 07:30:19 pm »

I was wondering if he gave it a 1 for reliability because there is no data for the St yet??

The engine and that torque vectoring system are relatively new but the rest of it has been around for a while.  If I am not mistaken, the platform itself is a close relative to the Mazda 3.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 08:35:44 pm »

Rest is history.

To those who are saying I didn't make an emotional decision?  Well I was definitely torn between either the ST or the speed3.  The quantitative analysis made it even more difficult.

So I drove the two again back to back and realized I appreciate the focus ST more.

You pretty much were purchased the Mazdaspeed3 UNTIL autos.ca opinions swayed you to the Focus ST.
You can justify it anyway you want, quantitative analysis or no.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 09:25:52 pm »

Bingo.

I doubt that ST would be extremely unreliable, but if it proves to be just so then it is out and the next generation WRX would be my top choice.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 09:31:08 pm »

Rest is history.

You pretty much were purchased the Mazdaspeed3 UNTIL autos.ca opinions swayed you to the Focus ST.
You can justify it anyway you want, quantitative analysis or no.

Hahah... Ok, ok.  Autos.ca did have just a wee-bit of an influence.  :p

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 09:33:43 pm »
Well, focus' back seat area is terribly small..  i think it's even smaller than IS.   ;D

good choise, none the less, OP, where's the pictures!!!!

Show & Shine!

More pics to come soon.

The engine and that torque vectoring system are relatively new but the rest of it has been around for a while.  If I am not mistaken, the platform itself is a close relative to the Mazda 3.

That's very true, though in a span of 14 months my '05 Mazda3 went to the shop for four different times for unscheduled visits: clutch, brakes, rattles, and door-handle fiasco.

The 2.0 litre engine is actually a derivative of the larger 2.3 DISI engine, as per some folks over at Focus ST Nation.