Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 BMW 320i xDrive; Day 1  (Read 47908 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 BMW 320i xDrive; Day 1
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2013, 11:04:59 am »
I'd like to see a test of a manual transmission RWD 320i with the sport package. Under $40k before freight/PDI seems like a reasonable price for that car, IMO.

Northernridge

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2013, 11:43:57 am »
Late to the party but I think the 320 would make a fine daily driver and is pretty good value in base trim. I also agree with whoever said that the current 3 Series makes for a pretty good 5 Series...which is ok if I think of the 320 as a daily driver/commuter.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2013, 12:40:30 pm »
The only major problem with these base cars and this BMW is no exception is the somewhat artificial base price. The features are really lacking at the "starting from" price so I would imagine most times you're looking at adding at least a few grand (IE the 38K version with leather).

That's the big problem. They suck you in with the low price and you're walking out of there with a 45K 320 if you don't know better (and I'm sure a lot of people don't know better).

On the other hand, at least BMW gives people some choice. Some people genuinely prefer stripped out cars but don't want a Yaris.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2013, 12:55:32 pm »
Yup, going from a Kia to a BMW would be quite the shock.  But the $15,000 kia has all those!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2013, 12:58:18 pm »
Still cant believe metallic paint is an option.......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2013, 01:02:48 pm »
Yup, going from a Kia to a BMW would be quite the shock.  But the $15,000 kia has all those!

It's the trade off people like my BIL don't notice. He gripes about all the features he would have to to pay for in a luxury brand but neglects to mention the poorer features of their KIA (IE tin can, dubious materials, engineering, etc.)

At the end of the day you have to be prepared to pay to play......right or wrong.

I dont think anyone would be foolish enough to compare a Kia to a 3 series, saying that....the "base" model BMWs have always been very sparsely equipped and options ludicrous. I still think Porsche wins the ridiculously priced option game.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:33 pm »
This has been an entertaining thread.  I'm assuming (based on previous forum discussions that the majority of these base 3 series cars  are leased rather than purchased outright.  Actually, this may apply to all 3-series - but I suspect the base models would have a higher leasing percentage.  Anyone have info on lease vs purchase data?  If that's actually the case, the MSRP is somewhat meaningless for the shoppers who are only worried about lease payments, and not actual cost of the vehicle.  But just a hypothesis.

And I don't mind BMW milking their customers for every penny, that's what "luxury" brands are supposed to do.  Few would argue that luxury brands are supposed to be good value, part of the inflated price is supposed to ensure exclusivity (of course, that doesn't seem to be the case when every third vehicle seems to be a BMW these days...)  The metallic paint surcharge does bother me though, especially if there are no "free" (non-metallic) colour options.  If you have to pay for it, it isn't an "option" anymore!  Wasn't that the case on a recent Audi?  Or was it BMW?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2013, 01:25:00 pm »
Luxury brands want to remain luxury brands. There is no way they will move down the price scale and change that perception. If people want to move up into the market it will cost, plain and simple. Many people not want to and that is understandable, but all the true luxury car makers know their customers will pay.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2013, 01:28:13 pm »
Luxury brands want to remain luxury brands. There is no way they will move down the price scale and change that perception. If people want to move up into the market it will cost, plain and simple. Many people not want to and that is understandable, but all the true luxury car makers know their customers will pay.

Of course, everyone strives to drive a Benz, BMW or Audi, its a luxury purchase. Falls into the "you gotta pay to play" category. Want a 5000 sq.ft. home with a big backyard in the good neighborhood, gonna cost ya. Want a cheap 5000 sq. ft. home, Im sure theres plenty to be had in Detroit cheap.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2013, 03:00:14 pm »
Gotta love BMW threads. Nothing stirs up the pot quite like 'em. Kind of ironic for a cold soulless German machine.

Pricey for what you get? Yep. But depending on your perspective, you get a very competent all rounder, or you get the gratification of looking at the badge. Either way, they sell.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2013, 03:14:43 pm »
Gotta love BMW threads. Nothing stirs up the pot quite like 'em.

Nah, I think we're still a ways away from record "pot-stirring" territory, which in my recollection would belong to the Buick Regal thread(s)...hell, that one still got referenced on this thread!

I'm not sure it's even at "Hyundai Sonata" or "Minivan comparison" thread territory...it's a good pot-stirrer, but not quite epic yet!

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2013, 03:58:04 pm »

Nah, I think we're still a ways away from record "pot-stirring" territory, which in my recollection would belong to the Buick Regal thread(s)...hell, that one still got referenced on this thread!

I'm not sure it's even at "Hyundai Sonata" or "Minivan comparison" thread territory...it's a good pot-stirrer, but not quite epic yet!

Yeah, I don't think it comes close to the various "Hyundai's are junk" or "GM builds crap" threads.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2013, 03:59:20 pm »

Of course, everyone strives to drive a Benz, BMW or Audi, its a luxury purchase. Falls into the "you gotta pay to play" category. Want a 5000 sq.ft. home with a big backyard in the good neighborhood, gonna cost ya. Want a cheap 5000 sq. ft. home, Im sure theres plenty to be had in Detroit cheap.

We are fogretting one thing. MB used to pretty much own the luxury market back a few decades ago (leaving alone exotics). Then BMW and Audi joined the club but it was still all F-Germans.
Now a few decades later, there are legit contenders for my money in the $35-50k territory. My choice is not limited to the FGC's. Lexus-Acura-Infinity will blow the 320i out of the water on every front and will provide more luxury with better reliability.

I've had a 328 for two years. It was a stripper which offered good value at under 40k but now I would choose something else.
Heck, if I was looking for a great commuter car today, I would walk right past the BMW dealership and into MB and pick up the GLK diesel or the new IS or even ES.

Luxury is becoming more "mainstream" and more affordable, so not including some basic luxuries (pardon the oxy-moron) in the base price in this price-range doesn't cut it anymore.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2013, 04:53:13 pm »

Good points, the words Hyundai and Buick are pretty explosive for some reason that escapes me...the BMW brouhahas seem more wild because it goes beyond cars to people's fundamental values - "Haters can't afford them and don't get it" vs. "Only gold-chained arrogant jerks drive them". Not interesting subject matter from an auto enthusiast perspective, but for cat-fight fans it's hard to beat.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2013, 05:34:29 pm »
We need to start a Porsche owner thread.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2013, 05:48:58 pm »
Not sure the argument that a BMW should have every feature standard is valid.   BMW offers everything KIA does and more.    And they install all those features in a much better car. Build your own 3 series with everything you think it should have standard and look at the price.  That would be the base price if options were standard.  If that's what you want they will be happy to sell you one that way.  What about the people who just want the quality and feel of a BMW but don't care about frills and gadgets.  I like the idea that BMW has a car for them too. 

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2013, 06:14:19 pm »
Not sure the argument that a BMW should have every feature standard is valid.   BMW offers everything KIA does and more.    And they install all those features in a much better car. Build your own 3 series with everything you think it should have standard and look at the price.  That would be the base price if options were standard.  If that's what you want they will be happy to sell you one that way.  What about the people who just want the quality and feel of a BMW but don't care about frills and gadgets.  I like the idea that BMW has a car for them too.

You have a point there. At least BMW will still let you order a car pretty much the way you want it (although not to the extent they used to) as opposed to the Asian car makers that bundle everything into packages.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »

You have a point there. At least BMW will still let you order a car pretty much the way you want it (although not to the extent they used to) as opposed to the Asian car makers that bundle everything into packages.

I don't know.  I think Mercedes Benz is pretty bad for bundling options in to packages and then requiring you to get a certain package if you want a specific other package.  Porsche is pretty bad too.

Edit:  Just went on BMWs website and it's the same BS as MB.  You need the Premium Package to get the Executive Package.  So the $2500 will cost you an extra $4500.

Holy $hit.  You can configure a 335xi base vehicle price of $53800 up to $71,691.  Most of that extra money is in 5 option packages:

1. Premium Package - $4500
2. M Performance Package - $1500
3. M Performance Package - $2500 (requires you to get M Performance Package).
4. Executive Package - $2500 (requires you to get Premium Package).
5. ConnectedDrive Services Prof w/ARTTI - $850 (requires you to get Premium Package).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:29:34 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2013, 06:21:40 pm »

I don't know.  I think Mercedes Benz is pretty bad for bundling options in to packages and then requiring you to get a certain package if you want a specific other package.  Porsche is pretty bad too.

I agree with the Benz part, they have many $5, 6, 9 thousand dollar option packages. Porsche is a good, lots of stand alone options, unfortunately the cost of each of those options is eye wateringly bad.

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2013, 06:32:54 pm »

I agree with the Benz part, they have many $5, 6, 9 thousand dollar option packages. Porsche is a good, lots of stand alone options, unfortunately the cost of each of those options is eye wateringly bad.

Yeah, I agree with the Benz thing as well. They seem to have an unerring ability to identify the 3 or 4 options I want most and put each one in a different option package.  ::)