Poll

Base models are the same price – 2-choices only, where does your money go?

2014 base Porsche Cayman
2014 base C7 Corvette Stingray

Author Topic: For $53K USD – Cayman or Corvette?  (Read 36552 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: For $53K USD – Cayman or Corvette?
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2013, 05:58:48 pm »
The driver of the other car was clearly blinded by the beauty of he new Vette because he was driving a lincoln town car and was probably 98 years old  and crashed into it

;-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2013, 06:03:57 pm »
The driver of the other car was clearly blinded by the beauty of he new Vette and crashed into it

;-)

Can hardly tell the creases in the side from the dents.....or vice versa...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Mark-N

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Porsche Boxster, 2011 Audi Q5 APR2.0Tuned, 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2013, 05:16:05 pm »
I'm new here, so I thought I'd chime in. As much as it's not my cup of tea, it's certainly the coolest looking Vette I can remember. The specs look great and the bang for the buck is undeniable. Personally I live 1400km and a 8hr ferry ride from a track, and 95% of the time I'm in 50-80km/h traffic so top speed and fastest acceleration are not the top reasons for buying a sports car. Nor does it bother me that some knuckle draggers believe it's a "hairdresser's Porsche" and you must have large displacement cars to feel manly (and more than likely, a 8" lift kit on your pickup truck). The first time you get a Boxster/Cayman onto a twisty road at speed, you quickly realize that more power isn't going to help you keep your line or nail your exit with precision every time. The confidence you have and the feedback that the chassis provides is truly sublime.  There are testers out there that call the 981 series of Porsches the best handling cars currently in production and they provide about 90% of the performance of the 911 for 50% of the price. I have no doubt the Vette is good, but ham fists and white knuckles provide a far less enjoyable driving experience (unless burn outs in parking lots in front of a crowd are your thing) which has been my own personal experience. I've "played" with some high hp cars like the Viper, Vettes, Camaro's Mustangs, and none of those provided the levels of enjoyment after nailing an apex. I recall holding on for dear life hoping I had the grip to stay pointed in the right direction, which is something you never fear in a mid engined Porsche and the reason I chose the car I spec'd out to my exact needs and ordered. If you haven't had a chance to drive one yet, I'd highly recommend it as you'll be grinning ear to ear in no time . There are days I wish I'd picked an S model for some extra poke, but then I get stuck in traffic and realize I've got everything I need and still have an extra $12k in my pocket.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:23:50 pm by Mark-N »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2013, 05:24:25 pm »
Knuckledraggers eh.....I just think that you can save a bunch of money with the Vette and have a faster (any way you cut it, almost 200 horsepower more is a lot of power), better handling, better looking, better sounding and just a general bad ass car with the Vette. Or you can have a stripped out, base model 260 horse roadster....oh, and my truck is stock height by the way.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2013, 05:27:13 pm »
I'm new here, so I thought I'd chime in. As much as it's not my cup of tea, it's certainly the coolest looking Vette I can remember. The specs look great and the bang for the buck is undeniable. Personally I live 1400km and a 8hr ferry ride from a track, and 95% of the time I'm in 50-80km/h traffic so top speed and fastest acceleration are not the top reasons for buying a sports car. Nor does it bother me that some knuckle draggers believe it's a "hairdresser's Porsche" and you must have large displacement cars to feel manly (and more than likely, a 8" lift kit on your pickup truck). The first time you get a Boxster/Cayman onto a twisty road at speed, you quickly realize that more power isn't going to help you keep your line or nail your exit with precision every time. The confidence you have and the feedback that the chassis provides is truly sublime.  There are testers out there that call the 981 series of Porsches the best handling cars currently in production and they provide about 90% of the performance of the 911 for 50% of the price. I have no doubt the Vette is good, but ham fists and white knuckles provide a far less enjoyable driving experience (unless burn outs in parking lots in front of a crowd are your thing) which has been my own personal experience. I've "played" with some high hp cars like the Viper, Vettes, Camaro's Mustangs, and none of those provided the levels of enjoyment after nailing an apex. I recall holding on for dear life hoping I had the grip to stay pointed in the right direction, which is something you never fear in a mid engined Porsche and the reason I chose the car I spec'd out to my exact needs and ordered. If you haven't had a chance to drive one yet, I'd highly recommend it as you'll be grinning ear to ear in no time . There are days I wish I'd picked an S model for some extra poke, but then I get stuck in traffic and realize I've got everything I need and still have an extra $12k in my pocket.

If you can't "nail an apex" on the street in EVERY car you listed, you're doing something wrong.  I have yet to meet an apex on the street driven at sane street speeds than can't be nailed perfectly, every time by virtually any car on the market.

Just sayin'...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2013, 05:28:13 pm »
Knuckledraggers eh.....I just think that you can save a bunch of money with the Vette and have a faster (any way you cut it, almost 200 horsepower more is a lot of power), better handling, better sounding and just a general bad ass car with the Vette. Or you can have a stripped out, base model 260 horse roadster....oh, and my truck is stock height by the way.

:rofl2:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2013, 05:41:54 pm »
I have not driven the latest versions but I have had the pleasure of driving a Lingenfelter Z06 and a Boxster S so we are talking a 300 HP difference here.  The Z06 was a blast for sure but at the end of the day I would take the Boxster S home. Until people drive a mid engine Porsche rather than just read about it then the debate is pointless.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2013, 05:57:59 pm »
I have not driven the latest versions but I have had the pleasure of driving a Lingenfelter Z06 and a Boxster S so we are talking a 300 HP difference here.  The Z06 was a blast for sure but at the end of the day I would take the Boxster S home. Until people drive a mid engine Porsche rather than just read about it then the debate is pointless.

I would definitely agree with that!  I've driven a Boxster (non S version) and thought it was blast to drive.....VERY well balanced in terms of driving dynamics.  When I owned my MR2 for 13 years, and even though it didn't a whole lot of power, it was a freakin' blast to drive!!!  So from my experience, there is something very much to be said about mid engine performance.  For myself personally, I don't need 400+hp for a car to be fun to drive.  The S2000 only puts out a measly 240hp, but it's one of the most rewarding cars I've ever driven. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2013, 08:22:54 pm »

A C5 is not indicative AT ALL of a modern Vette Snowy.

I understand that but neither was the Boxster at the time. Don't get me wrong the new Corvette is awesome but any car with over 400 HP on the street is a waste IMO....I see no point in a car that requires that level of ecu intervention to make it drivable.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2013, 08:24:35 pm »

I understand that but neither was the Boxster at the time. Don't get me wrong the new Corvette is awesome but any car over with 400 HP on the street is a waste IMO....I see no point in a car that requires that level of ecu intervention to make it drivable.

Wait....doesnt your TT have awd with traction and stability control???

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2013, 08:35:44 pm »

I understand that but neither was the Boxster at the time. Don't get me wrong the new Corvette is awesome but any car over with 400 HP on the street is a waste IMO....I see no point in a car that requires that level of ecu intervention to make it drivable.

It is deactivated at all times. See page 43:

http://www.jlosee.com/images/TTRS/PDF/TT%20RS%20w%202500cc%205%20cylinder%20TFSI.pdf

Can be validated by anybody who has gone hooning with me and witnessed all four wheels spinning  :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:47:39 pm by Snowman »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2013, 11:55:47 pm »

http://www.jlosee.com/images/TTRS/PDF/TT%20RS%20w%202500cc%205%20cylinder%20TFSI.pdf

Can be validated by anybody who has gone hooning with me and witnessed all four wheels spinning  :)

How do you de activate the AWD??   :stick:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2013, 08:25:26 am »

How do you de activate the AWD??   :stick:

Clown  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2013, 09:45:41 am »
^^^^ Moi?  :))

Offline Mark-N

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Porsche Boxster, 2011 Audi Q5 APR2.0Tuned, 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2013, 03:22:39 pm »
Knuckledraggers eh.....I just think that you can save a bunch of money with the Vette and have a faster (any way you cut it, almost 200 horsepower more is a lot of power), better handling, better looking, better sounding and just a general bad ass car with the Vette. Or you can have a stripped out, base model 260 horse roadster....oh, and my truck is stock height by the way.

... and while cubic zircoina is still very shiny, no matter which way you cut it, it will never be a diamond.

Either way, by looking at the list of ponies in your stable, we're never going to agree on this one. You're talking about buying a bigger greasier burger off the value menu and washing it down with a coke. The Cayman is like a grain fed Petit filet paired with a bold Cabernet. It costs more and you get less, but the sum of all its parts reward your palate far more than a double baconator ever could. I do find it comical that the ones who talk the strongest opinions are generally the ones who don't actually either one of these cars in their driveways. You keep defending your Vette and driving your Pickup. I'll keep enjoying the sh*t out of my baby Porsche.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2013, 03:48:46 pm »
Horseshit. The Cayman is a Porsche designed for those that can't afford a 911, yet still need to have THAT BADGE.

Eurosnobs quite often fall back on the 'intangibles' argument when the performance data can't back up their claims.

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 using Tapatalk 2

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2013, 03:55:25 pm »
Horseshit. The Cayman is a Porsche designed for those that can't afford a 911, yet still need to have THAT BADGE.

Eurosnobs quite often fall back on the 'intangibles' argument when the performance data can't back up their claims.

I don't know if I agree with that.  It just happens to be another car in the Porsche lineup and just happens to cost less.  With performance of the Cayman  close to a 911. I might agree with your argument if the Cayman wasn't such a strong performer.

I suppose it's like saying a CrossTrek is a vehicle for people who can't afford an Outback then?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 04:04:00 pm by rrocket »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2013, 04:35:14 pm »

I suppose it's like saying a CrossTrek is a vehicle for people who can't afford an Outback then?

Isn't that the plan of most manufacturers: have the customer move upward in their line up?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2013, 06:14:33 pm »

I disagree, The Cayman is superior to the 911 but Porsche neuters it to keep it just below the 911 in terms of performance measurements.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: For $53K USD – Cayman or Corvette?
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2013, 06:25:29 pm »

... and while cubic zircoina is still very shiny, no matter which way you cut it, it will never be a diamond.

Either way, by looking at the list of ponies in your stable, we're never going to agree on this one. You're talking about buying a bigger greasier burger off the value menu and washing it down with a coke. The Cayman is like a grain fed Petit filet paired with a bold Cabernet. It costs more and you get less, but the sum of all its parts reward your palate far more than a double baconator ever could. I do find it comical that the ones who talk the strongest opinions are generally the ones who don't actually either one of these cars in their driveways. You keep defending your Vette and driving your Pickup. I'll keep enjoying the sh*t out of my baby Porsche.

Well no, the 911 is a diamond, the boxster and cockster are the cubic zirconia. The Vette is a steak and potatoes and a beer,  the boxster is a vegan burger with a dealcholized beer....

Sent from my Galaxy S3