Author Topic: Golf GTD All But Confirmed For Canadian Consumption  (Read 8136 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: Golf GTD All But Confirmed For Canadian Consumption
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 09:47:22 pm »
Mazda does something like this on the 6 - you can only get the tech package in the top trimmed GT.

Not quite the same thing.

Mazda's Tech Package includes some advanced features and it is somehow justified to be only available on the highest trim. Navigation has become a mainstream feature so it should no longer be only available in top trims or part of expensive packages. Mazda offers Navi as a stand alone option on the mid-trim GS for a reasonable $700. So does Ford ($800 now - it used to be $700 until two months ago).

Like I said, hopefully VW will adjust their packages and options for the MK7 Golf/GTI when it comes to North America.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 12:08:37 pm »
This car will have a big following here as there are tons of diesel fans.  I can see VW adjusting their pricing on the GTI since it will be assembled in Mexico.  I'm really hoping the GTD has a base price of under 30K.  For those who say you can just flash a GTI and get the same TQ that's very true however, you're instantly voiding your powertrain warranty and there have been lots of fried ECUs in USA due to flashing.  Much more than with MKV versions. 

Also diesel is much cheaper than ever regular gas here and has been for most of the year.  That's pretty big savings at the pump too. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 01:18:23 pm »
The current GTI packaging is very unfriendly (expensive). If you want Navi you must pay $5,800, bringing up the price before tax to $37,570 (w/DSG). You cannot get Navi without leather and sunroof. You cannot only get the nicer wheels without sunroof ($2,500 Sport Package).

Add another $2,000 - $2,500 premium for the ugraded diesel engine and you are at $40K.

Well sure, but everyone knows that loaded up cars can get very expensive (especially German ones).

The point is VW forces you to load up the car just to get a single option (e.g. navi).

Again, a fairly common practice.

Should be noted that the Wolfsburg GTI is $34k and has 18" wheels, nav, bixenons, a sunroof, and cloth seats.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »
I'm sure this will be a great package, but the price is the biggest concern for this car - GTI+TDi = $40K CAD.

What I would really like to see in Canada is the regular Golf 4Motion available in other markets for 2014 MY.

Let's be realistic. Current GTI starts at about $30,700 with destination. I can't see the GTD being more than a couple grand higher than the GTI, comparably equipped. So even with a modest price increase for the next generation model the GTD shouldn't be approaching $40k.

The current GTI packaging is very unfriendly (expensive). If you want Navi you must pay $5,800, bringing up the price before tax to $37,570 (w/DSG). You cannot get Navi without leather and sunroof. You cannot only get the nicer wheels without sunroof ($2,500 Sport Package).

Add another $2,000 - $2,500 premium for the ugraded diesel engine and you are at $40K.

I hope the MK VII Golf price and packaging will get better in Canada especially that the production will move to Mexico.

I buy base cars because packages have always been too expensive. At its base of around $30k, the GTI is a great car for the money. I do find it interesting that posters here, who constantly scream, "DIESEL!" are so lukewarm when one is offered.

Isn't more choice a better thing?
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 02:45:05 pm »
I'm curious why everyone thinks the diesel will be significantly more than the 2.0t.  The NA 2.5 sure but in terms of complexity and cost there can't be that much of a difference between the two turbo engines.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 02:57:29 pm »
I'm curious why everyone thinks the diesel will be significantly more than the 2.0t.  The NA 2.5 sure but in terms of complexity and cost there can't be that much of a difference between the two turbo engines.

Because US pricing is estimated at 27k USD when the base GTI starts around 24K down there.  So it's possible that CND pricing will also be higher than base GTI.  However, CND base GTI is better equipped than US base GTI so my guess is price will be close.  It all depends on how they decide the package the GTD. 

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 01:25:42 pm »
Sorry for bumping this but there's some news.  None of it good. 

According to numerous reports, the CEO of VW North America, Michael Horn, has stated that there's very little chance this car will be coming here.  Supposedly it's due to the costs involved in producing the engine in Germany (the Mexico plant can't make it), importing it and then adding the AdBlue system. 

Sad day folks.  North American emissions standards may have once again played a factor in killing another promising diesel. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »
More like diesel engines require too much after-treatment to be properly clean.

I used to be a pretty strong diesel supporter over hybrid tech. I've done a 180o on that for the most part.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 01:34:43 pm »

According to numerous reports, the CEO of VW North America, Michael Horn, has stated that there's very little chance this car will be coming here.  Supposedly it's due to the costs involved in producing the engine in Germany (the Mexico plant can't make it), importing it and then adding the AdBlue system. 

Sad day folks.  North American emissions standards may have once again played a factor in killing another promising diesel.

Isn't this old news? The GTD in its current configuration won't match the stricter Euro regs coming a couple years. When they update it to meet those regs it should also meet the North American standards.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 04:36:49 pm »

Really United States emission standards copied blindly by the non-thinking civil servants at Transport Canada.
It would have made no measurable difference to the air  if Canada had taken the US gas engine standards and the EU diesel engine standards...although it would have been interesting to see whether we would have got any diesels that we do not get now... perhaps not as we are such a small market.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 08:14:45 pm »

Isn't this old news? The GTD in its current configuration won't match the stricter Euro regs coming a couple years. When they update it to meet those regs it should also meet the North American standards.

To my knowledge the info was only published a few weeks ago. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 10:34:43 am »

To my knowledge the info was only published a few weeks ago.

Well yes, that's why I said old news. ;)

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 12:09:57 pm »

I used to be a pretty strong diesel supporter over hybrid tech. I've done a 180o on that for the most part.

A bit off topic, but I've been reading that DI gasoline engines can produce particulate levels that rival or even exceed those of diesel, yet it doesn't really get mentioned.  Should they not require the same after-treatments as well?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 12:27:58 pm »

A bit off topic, but I've been reading that DI gasoline engines can produce particulate levels that rival or even exceed those of diesel, yet it doesn't really get mentioned.  Should they not require the same after-treatments as well?

The new European regulations are supposed to address particulates from both gasoline and diesels. It looks like particulate traps or secondary injectors like Toyota uses can be used to address the issue. It's another case of regulations following widespread adoption of new technology.