Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac SRX  (Read 11516 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac SRX
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 11:44:38 pm »
Uhh...tell me again why the escalade is such a horrid vehicle to be seen in?? They are utterly comfortable, quiet, powerful, have lots or passenger/cargo room, have as many frilly gadgets as any german high line vehicle,will actually pull a trailer and handle rough roads.....if anything....why would you want to be seen in this thing??  ::)

Please, compared to the top German (GL) and Japanese (LX 570, QX) luxury SUVs the Escalade has horrible interior quality, terrible seats (don't get me started on the third row), rides poorly and gets awful fuel consumption.

though personally, I still think the Escalade looks great with the sharp angles and the big chrome grille.

SRX seems reasonable for a smaller SUV from Cadillac, but it hardly seems competitive vs X3s, GLKs, Q5s and EX37s if you start poking around the interior. It's the kind of vehicle that will sell only to people that don't look beyond a GM dealership, but there seem to be a lot of those – this thing sells well last time i checked.

Bad seats and rides poorly...what...no way, I love the way they ride. Plus, reliability wise, Id take a GM truck over the FGC 7 days a week. I doubt the Escalade gets much worse or better mileage than the QX or LX. Plus, Id love a lifted Escalade  ;D

Yeah, somehow, i don't think the GL 350 would look as nice lifted... lowered, maybe. so you're telling me the Escalade has nicer seats and rides better than the GL? Wing, how are the seats in the LX? compared to Escalade... and the size is all illusion - despite a massive frame, interior space doesn't ever seem that great in the GM SUVs - they seem two generations behind when it comes to interior packaging... oh wait, that's because they are...

hard to say where real-world mileage is because samples on fueely are so sparse, but LX seems to be a bit better, and the GL diesel would be a no contest - I once had the Yukon hybrid and it did no better than 13s, and i had 10s in the GL bluetec. reliability wise, yeah, that GM platform is okay, so I'll give you that.

You are correct.  The LX570 feels miles better than the Escalade or Navigator for the reasons you mention.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline SMMN

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 01:52:05 am »
Pretty meager hauling space/capacity compared to small utes like the Rav 4 and CRV which weigh much less and get way better fuel economy ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 11:33:24 am »
Have to strongly agree with Jonathan.  The Escalade can only seat 5, for the size of the Escalade, that 3rd row is crap.  Being a designated driver, I often have to drive my bosses Escalade.  The read out often shows in the 16L-17L range, and it needs premium!  Can't take corners like the SRX, the V8 does sound a little nicer though, and yes it can tow more, if you use it.  They are for obviously for different markets, but I prefer the Q7 over the Escalade any day. 

Back to the SRX, the base price is quite reasonable, all I would really need.  Surprised to see the 2nd row seats don't slide like the Equinox.  That rail system is cool.  Nice that it goes on regular.  Cadillac should try to make the SRX as competitive as possible to the X3, Q5, GL, and RX350, even it that requires to increase the price a bit. 

For the next generation, get rid of the GMC Terrain, and Buick should have something smaller than the Enclave, and bigger than the Encore, that starts at $35k and use the same 3.6L.  So you have base with the Chevy, premium with the Buick, and Luxury with the Caddy.  Leave the bigger SUV's and trucks for GMC. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 02:13:23 pm »
So far so good, really.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 02:48:47 pm »
Maybe I'm biased but the LX just excels at everything -- even FE I'm getting 11.8 on the current tank (what what ? :) )

But it's expensive and interior space is lacking compared to the escalade for sure.  But comfort and luxury it's way ahead.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 03:04:25 pm »
Maybe I'm biased but the LX just excels at everything -- even FE I'm getting 11.8 on the current tank (what what ? :) )

But it's expensive and interior space is lacking compared to the escalade for sure.  But comfort and luxury it's way ahead.

The Caddy is not exactly cheap, I remember pricing out one and it hit the $90K mark...hell, fully loaded its about $110K. Thats a lot of money for a fancy Tahoe, but still, I love the interiors and front end on them.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »
True, a loaded escalade can actually come in MSRP higher than the LX, but I don't think anyone pays MSRP for an escalade...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 03:12:13 pm »
True, a loaded escalade can actually come in MSRP higher than the LX, but I don't think anyone pays MSRP for an escalade...

My dad got almost $15k off his Avalanche....so I doubt it.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 03:16:29 pm »
The new Escalade will be out later this year. Based on the new pickup platform, updated engines, much better interior both in quality and volume. The current one is well past its best before date.
Given that, they still move a fair pile of them.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 03:59:24 pm »

that's right, they pay with cash in a duffel bag...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 04:46:06 pm »

Or they swap it for one of their gold records....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 04:53:41 pm »

At least they are paying for their rides  ;D

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 05:01:25 pm »

Or they swap it for one of their gold records....

stereotypes aside, most of the people i see driving the Escalades are suburban moms and their husbands, so the SRX kinda' nails the grille and appeases whoever budgets for the vehicle when they realize they don't need a tank of a seven-seater.

it's still not a competitive vehicle in its class, though. i agree with Solstice (and not just because he agreed with me), but GM needs a premium SUV platform to share between Buick/Cadillac if they want to compete on quality as they've begun to do with the ATS. but that would be a hard sell when the SRX is doing so well as it is right now...