Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Cadillac XTS; Day 1  (Read 11735 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Cadillac XTS; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2013, 01:40:25 pm »
Well 'Cab Forward' or not...transverse makes for more inside space. That's a good thing surely. Why do transverse and then wreck this advantage with a useless wall.

Yeah I had a cab forward 'T' drive...seems to me it was windshield forward with the cab in the usual position.
The transverse Fiat Abarth and 500T have equal length drive shafts but those vehicles are manual trans.

I think a Taurus SHO had equal length also.

Perhaps the same effect could be obtained by making the drive shafts a slightly different diameter so that the torsional deflection would be the same for both lengths...If that is what causes the torque steer. I can't say that I have ever experienced it.

That was tried...I don't remember the car off hand but it was in the late '70s early '80s.  Didn't really work.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 06:28:27 pm »
Well 'Cab Forward' or not...transverse makes for more inside space. That's a good thing surely. Why do transverse and then wreck this advantage with a useless wall.

Yeah I had a cab forward 'T' drive...seems to me it was windshield forward with the cab in the usual position.
The transverse Fiat Abarth and 500T have equal length drive shafts but those vehicles are manual trans.

I think a Taurus SHO had equal length also.

Perhaps the same effect could be obtained by making the drive shafts a slightly different diameter so that the torsional deflection would be the same for both lengths...If that is what causes the torque steer. I can't say that I have ever experienced it.

My Audi had the engine pointing the right way and it still had plenty of cabin space....plus the engine was a hell of a lot easier to work on as 1/2 of it wasnt smushed up against the firewall.

Yup, it's always fun changing the back spark plugs in a transverse mounted V6, especially if it's pushrod or SOHC.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 03:32:19 pm »
Cadilac drivers never change spark plugs come to think of it neither do I. Nah...does'nt matter about smushing your passengers for the sake of being able to do something that you never do.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2013, 03:37:04 pm »
Acutally the longitudinal motor offers more crash protection as it can be used as a crash structure as well when it slides under the car.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2013, 05:58:43 pm »
Longitudinal engines are fine, but have packaging issues. The power pack either intrudes into cabin space, or pushes the engine ahead of the front wheels, making the car more prone to understeer. Audi seems to have it sorted out fairly well now.

The flat 4 and 6 in the Subarus are pretty short engines and help mitigate the packaging issues.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2013, 06:25:58 pm »
   Fore and aft also needs an extra bevel gear set which results in a loss of efficiency. Not much but on a large scale significant.

The problem for a long time was not being able to get enough HP from straight fours. Then the V6s came out that were short enough to fit sideways and HPs increased to more than enough. Now CVVT, DI and turbos...more HP again. It's enough.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 06:51:50 pm »
Longitudinal engines are fine, but have packaging issues. The power pack either intrudes into cabin space, or pushes the engine ahead of the front wheels, making the car more prone to understeer. Audi seems to have it sorted out fairly well now.

The flat 4 and 6 in the Subarus are pretty short engines and help mitigate the packaging issues.

Not necessarily true.  Nissan's applications of longitudinal engines has most of the engine behind the front wheels.  Even in their AWD (read G35X & G37X) it is setup this way.

Audi has most of the engine ahead.  They basically are using torque vectoring in the back to compensate for the understeer.  Only available if you opt for the sport differential.