Author Topic: Feature: Ocean's Eleven ' 11 Cars for Coastal Cruising  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Ocean's Eleven ' 11 Cars for Coastal Cruising
« on: June 18, 2013, 06:27:09 am »

Justin Pritchard gathers his thoughts in this cool but not-always-calm list of 11 comfy coastal cruisers.

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Feature: Ocean's Eleven ' 11 Cars for Coastal Cruising
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:35:16 am »
My win, place, show of the group would be the Ferrari, Porsche, and Mustang.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:30 am »
I gotta go Jeep, Mustang and CLS63.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:50:13 am »
A good mix of interesting rides

To round out the number to an even dozen I would include the most raced car in N. America and the biggest selling roadster.

This " Bay Area Miata Association " group were stopped for lunch south of San Francisco overlooking the Pacific Ocean

http://flic.kr/p/cqZVeA

and from the other side of the Pacific on the east Coast of NZ a couple of classics

http://flic.kr/p/eiedwS

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:29 am »
Justin Pritchard gathers his thoughts in this cool but not-always-calm list of 11 comfy coastal cruisers.
Read More...

What was the point of the article again?  :think:
To find something Town & Country and 458 have in common?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:30 am »
Maserati Gransport Spyder [used]...or [new] Grancabrio. Fantastic soundtrack from the V8, gorgeous styling, and a perfect mix of comfort and sport.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:59:08 am »
A good mix of interesting rides

To round out the number to an even dozen I would include the most raced car in N. America and the biggest selling roadster.

This " Bay Area Miata Association " group were stopped for lunch south of San Francisco overlooking the Pacific Ocean

http://flic.kr/p/cqZVeA

and from the other side of the Pacific on the east Coast of NZ a couple of classics

http://flic.kr/p/eiedwS

Totally agree! Where is the Miata?  It makes every roadster list, whether most affordable, most fun, easiest to use top...You name it's got it!  I know your limited to a certain number of cars, but some deserve to be on that list more than others. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 01:25:04 pm »
Read More...

To find something Town & Country and 458 have in common?

Justifying a drive in California with a female co-worker in a Mustang 'vert ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 01:28:25 pm »
I got to admit that after the 5 hr drive to our cottage in York Beach Maine, just parking at the beach with all windows down makes us realize why that drive is worthwile. So soothing to hear the waves come in!

Our Odyssey is a great "turnpike cruiser". The kids get to see the view above bridge railings and all.

Heading back in a couple of weeks  :)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 01:32:23 pm »
I got to admit that after the 5 hr drive to our cottage in York Beach Maine, just parking at the beach with all windows down makes us realize why that drive is worthwile. So soothing to hear the waves come in!

Our Odyssey is a great "turnpike cruiser". The kids get to see the view above bridge railings and all.

I tried to argue Odyssey over Town & Country, but Pritch has a serious thing for the GC/T&C and refused to budge... apparently the tailgate seats are the best thing ever!
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 01:34:10 pm »
Mustang, Jeep or MX-5 for me. Though maybe a Goldwing for a nice change.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 01:34:34 pm »
Read More...

it's a circle.  :P

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 01:35:02 pm »

I tried to argue Odyssey over Town & Country, but Pritch has a serious thing for the GC/T&C and refused to budge... apparently the tailgate seats are the best thing ever!

Don't know about the tailgate seats, but we have discussed the comfort of the fold and stow seating in the Grand Caravan vs the seating in the Odyssey and the lazy boy recliner seats in the Sienna, totally different comfort level after 5 hours...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 01:50:23 pm »

Don't know about the tailgate seats, but we have discussed the comfort of the fold and stow seating in the Grand Caravan vs the seating in the Odyssey and the lazy boy recliner seats in the Sienna, totally different comfort level after 5 hours...

I can imagine.  We rented a 2012 GC Crew in Maui with Stow & Go back in November.  Those seats were getting pretty uncomfortable during the long drive from Kanapali to Hana.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 01:57:56 pm »

I can imagine.  We rented a 2012 GC Crew in Maui with Stow & Go back in November.  Those seats were getting pretty uncomfortable during the long drive from Kanapali to Hana.

Speaking of the Hana Highway, we rented a Mazdaspeed Miata for our honeymoon in Maui - I must have driven up and down that road ten times in a couple days. but if there is one car i would pick over the Miata, it's the Boxster. That was a bucket list kind of drive.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 01:59:38 pm »

Speaking of the Hana Highway, we rented a Mazdaspeed Miata for our honeymoon in Maui - I must have driven up and down that road ten times in a couple days. but if there is one car i would pick over the Miata, it's the Boxster. That was a bucket list kind of drive.

Even though it wasn't in the Boxster, I bet it was loads more fun in the Mazdaspeed Miata then in the GC.  Heck, when I went in 2008, we had a Chevy Uplander as a rental and it was more fun to drive than the GC.  The Uplander felt, "nimbler" by comparison...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 01:59:46 pm »
Have to keep that in mind Jonathan, I can't find any place to rent a Miata! 

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 02:07:56 pm »
Have to keep that in mind Jonathan, I can't find any place to rent a Miata!

it was an exotic car rental place that rented everything from that Miata and a cooper S convertible to Ferraris and Maseratis.. pretty close to the hotel we stayed at on Kaanapali beach if i recall correctly...

and yeah, it was a bit more fun than GC would have been...but their selection seems to have gone downhill since then, and no more Miata:

http://jnrentalshawaii.com/aloha-toy-store/

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 02:13:07 pm »
Yeah, I know what you mean.  I have a Gift Certificate for Exotic Car Tours in Oakville for $150, but most of their packages cost more than that. They are all super cars, don't know what to do with the Gift Certificate, would rather put that money to car maintenance.  But they won't refund it, (Christmas Gift), but it is transferrable.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 02:15:11 pm »
Yeah, I know what you mean.  I have a Gift Certificate for Exotic Car Tours in Oakville for $150, but most of their packages cost more than that. They are all super cars, don't know what to do with the Gift Certificate, would rather put that money to car maintenance.  But they won't refund it, (Christmas Gift), but it is transferrable.

Yep, me and Railton have the same issue  :P