Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Audi TT RS  (Read 20492 times)

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Audi TT RS
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2013, 06:58:07 pm »
I might say that a Nissan Z might be a close competitor in every way except price...78 thou???? Holy shitskies!! I'll take 2 Zs please..Nice report  Thanks    Jack

The 370Z is a great looking car, but performance wise, the TT-RS will eat it for breakfast. Probably its closest competitor is its stablemate the RS5....unless someone else knows of a 2 door, sport car with AWD.....only one that comes to mind is the Bentley GT  :o

Is a Carrera 4 (or 4S) too obvious of an answer here?

Every time I see a 997 4S I want one. My wife is getting tired of me talking about it and told me today to just go get one....but that would be silly.

Jesus man, if you can swing it, do it before she changes her mind. Go go go!!
^^^ I agree ^^^
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Audi TT RS
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2013, 07:05:49 pm »
I might say that a Nissan Z might be a close competitor in every way except price...78 thou???? Holy shitskies!! I'll take 2 Zs please..Nice report  Thanks    Jack

The 370Z is a great looking car, but performance wise, the TT-RS will eat it for breakfast. Probably its closest competitor is its stablemate the RS5....unless someone else knows of a 2 door, sport car with AWD.....only one that comes to mind is the Bentley GT  :o

Every time I see a 997 4S I want one. My wife is getting tired of me talking about it and told me today to just go get one....but that would be silly.

I keep telling him the TT RS is a step UP from the Carrera 4S.  The only Porsche that I've driven that matches the firepower of the TT RS is a 996/997 TT.

I'm telling you...you'd buy the 4S and be happy with it for a week.  Then you'd be wondering why you traded in the TT RS.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2013, 07:07:41 pm »
Everyone needs a vice...or two.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2013, 08:08:48 pm »

I keep telling him the TT RS is a step UP from the Carrera 4S.  The only Porsche that I've driven that matches the firepower of the TT RS is a 996/997 TT.

I'm telling you...you'd buy the 4S and be happy with it for a week.  Then you'd be wondering why you traded in the TT RS.

Like size... it's not all about firepower.  The TT RS is a wonderful car, and for most people that's enough. I would absolutely be a happy camper if I was given one.  And if straight-line performance and terrific maneuverability is all you require... go for it.  But if you're a driver that wants that next level of feedback, the Porsche wins, hands down.
 Porsche just has the ability to inject something extra - the communication, the athletic ability. At a track day, it's like having a partner that you're continually sharing information with.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2013, 08:15:48 pm »

Like size... it's not all about firepower.  The TT RS is a wonderful car, and for most people that's enough. I would absolutely be a happy camper if I was given one.  And if straight-line performance and terrific maneuverability is all you require... go for it.  But if you're a driver that wants that next level of feedback, the Porsche wins, hands down.
 Porsche just has the ability to inject something extra - the communication, the athletic ability. At a track day, it's like having a partner that you're continually sharing information with.
But he does not go to the track

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2013, 08:34:10 pm »
Gotta agree with rr on this one.  No way Snowie will be happy with any aspro 911 after having the TT-RS.  It's going to have to be a turbo power 911.

Also, the 911 Turbos are built to a standard far exceeding the aspro cars.  They're overbuilt like mad.  The mechanical systems are not designed to take the power of the turbo engine.  They're designed to take 2-3x the power of the turbo engine.

911TT > TT-RS > 911 4S

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013, 08:54:11 pm »
It boils down to personal preference, for sure. 
911 Turbos however, are BIG money.
An AWD 911 Turbo S (530hp) starts at about $183,000 – add anything to it at all and you're well over $200,000.
A 911 Carrera 4S (400hp) is about $120,000.
Cayman S (325hp) starts at $72,900.
In which case, the TT RS (360hp) offers a bigger bang for the buck($67,600). The hatch makes it practical too.
I'm not in any way putting this car down. It's wonderful. But that near-telepathic relationship with the Porsche gets me every time. The mid-engined layout of the Cayman S makes it one of the most enjoyable driving experiences I've ever had. Course, the trunk is ridiculous, and you pay for any upgrades through the nose. The Audi has cupholders too – those pull out CD tray looking things on the Cayman seem expressly designed to coat all the knobs and buttons in coffee gunk.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2013, 10:07:45 pm »
Lesley have you driven Lakeshore Dr , Newcastle to Port hope, or some of the road south of Rice Lake?
Some of the road have a nice twist in them

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2013, 10:45:56 pm »
Oh yes! Driving around Rice Lake is one of my all-time favourite routes - in fact I did it on Boxing Day 2 years ago in the Cayman R. Handled the snow just fine.
Great scenery on that route regardless of the season!  I've travelled around there several times doing local motor sport club rallies.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 08:52:27 am »

I am better today  :)  :P

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:14 am »

You should have come up for the track day, then you'd have a chance to test those theories back to back. On a rainy day like today, and a small track like DDT, I'm inclined to agree that TTRS might be > 911 C4S. But the 911 is still the 911, and you try telling the six-year-old inside my head that the TTRS is better than a 911 and you'll get nowhere.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 11:21:34 am »

You should have come up for the track day, then you'd have a chance to test those theories back to back. On a rainy day like today, and a small track like DDT, I'm inclined to agree that TTRS might be > 911 C4S. But the 911 is still the 911, and you try telling the six-year-old inside my head that the TTRS is better than a 911 and you'll get nowhere.

You give yourself a lot of credit  ;) Seriously, that is where I'm at. The voice inside my head wont STFU  :P. Yes, I missed a opportunity to test both BtB.

A quality CPO 997.2 4S is still north of $80k so I will wait.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:27:59 am by Snowman »

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 10:57:40 pm »

You give yourself a lot of credit  ;) Seriously, that is where I'm at. The voice inside my head wont STFU  :P. Yes, I missed a opportunity to test both BtB.

A quality CPO 997.2 4S is still north of $80k so I will wait.

Speaking of quality CPO 997s, Pritchard is driving a 2010 Targa 4S that we'll be hearing about soon.... that is, if the tornado he mentioned didn't send him and Toto off to Oz...

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2013, 11:03:43 pm »
Better not have.
He was off to go storm-chasing last time I talked to him... and I have that car booked for when I get back from Le Mans.
He breaks it... and I know where he lives.  :nono:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2013, 12:48:30 am »

I've driven them on the street, where it matters most to me.  The TT RS has more grunt...it accelerates with more authority pretty much anywhere in the power band.  I also think it has more character..and the engine sounds better.  Throw in a simple ECU flash and the TT RS is a beast.  Better stock, better modded.  I'll take the RS.

Like you guys says..if you remove the brand envy, the TT RS is the better car.  The firepower of the 996/997 TT is needed to even things out IMO.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2013, 07:04:28 am »
Don't get me wrong I love my TTRS. I don't have a brand envy, more like brand obsession. I have been lusting for a 911 over the past 35 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2013, 09:25:30 am »

I've driven them on the street, where it matters most to me.  The TT RS has more grunt...it accelerates with more authority pretty much anywhere in the power band.  I also think it has more character..and the engine sounds better.  Throw in a simple ECU flash and the TT RS is a beast.  Better stock, better modded.  I'll take the RS.

Like you guys says..if you remove the brand envy, the TT RS is the better car.  The firepower of the 996/997 TT is needed to even things out IMO.

No, no, no... it's got nothing to do with brand envy. In fact, whenever I drive a spectacular car, I'm frustrated by the fact that it will be driven by people with lots of money, and no idea what the car can do. Turn something into a status brand, and it attracts the element that honestly... I'd rather not be associated with.
The TT RS is a great car, no doubt. The 911 is a better car. Balance, feedback, suspension... and same goes for the Cayman.
But taste is entirely subjective. If you like the Audi better, that's all that matters.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2013, 10:31:56 am »
Don't get me wrong I love my TTRS. I don't have a brand envy, more like brand obsession. I have been lusting for a 911 over the past 35 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey man, the TT-RS is a great car Im sure. This weekend I got to drive, around the block, a buddy of a buddies 96 CS2.......I have fulfilled my childhood dream, finally drove one. I dont care what other car is out there, that was the ride of a lifetime, I punched it to about 60 km/h once and I have to say, best car ever......being a fan of them since I was about 7 or 8 I somehow knew it would be.  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2013, 10:41:26 am »

No, no, no... it's got nothing to do with brand envy. In fact, whenever I drive a spectacular car, I'm frustrated by the fact that it will be driven by people with lots of money, and no idea what the car can do. Turn something into a status brand, and it attracts the element that honestly... I'd rather not be associated with.
The TT RS is a great car, no doubt. The 911 is a better car. Balance, feedback, suspension... and same goes for the Cayman.
But taste is entirely subjective. If you like the Audi better, that's all that matters.

I'd have a hard time saying which is better – a lot would have to do with environment and use – if i lived in a more urban setting, I'd want the smaller size of the TT RS. But anyhow, the track day was a blast, the 911 in all its glory, and on the way home I appreciated that the 911 was impressively quiet and comfortable even over a lot of the rough roads around Mosport's construction zone. The TT RS is a bit loud if i recall, so driving daily and on the highway would be a bit tiring, though not an issue for snowman as you keep is for toy purposes primarily, right? Not sure if the 997 has quite that range of comfort to performance... where are you MR2Pritch?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2013, 10:51:13 am »
Oddly, the lack of refinement is the thing I love about the TT-RS.  I haven't driven the latest 911, but the 996 felt all too refined to me.  Fast, sure, but lacking the raw intensity of the 930 model 911 turbo I had.  The 993 still had much of that coarse feeling, but I think it's been baked out of the newer aspro 911s.

Driving the TT-RS feels familiar in it's urgency.  It's faster than my old turbo (though according to Audi only has an extra 30hp, yeah, right...) and has a completely different chassis configuration, but pushes all the same buttons.