Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Audi TT RS  (Read 20484 times)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Audi TT RS
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 07:51:02 am »
Like there is somwhere out there where one can do all of this. Lotsa smokey...no place to flutter. The bogey will getcha.
Grunt with frustration in spades.

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 09:56:31 am »

Which roads are you driving on to be able enjoy the car?
The road to Lakefield on the east side of Trent is not bad
Did you have go to the chiropractor after driving in Peterborough area  the roads are not all that smooth , who I am kidding they are are crap, best driven in a pickup  ;D

Oh yeah, our roads are great if you like potholes. My favourite route is one that winds through all the country around and behind Mosport. I can get from there to Pickering, encountering next to no traffic.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 10:03:23 am »
Like there is somwhere out there where one can do all of this. Lotsa smokey...no place to flutter. The bogey will getcha.

Sure there is. In fact, there's a track day tomorrow at Mosport's DDT (driver development track) with Ian Law's Car Control School (full disclosure - I work with them :-) ).  Sign up for a full track school, and following lapping days are at a greatly reduced rate - in fact you can lap for a full day for about $100. The beauty of the DDT is that you can bring just about anything as long as it's mechanically sound.
This is from a lapping day several years ago. The pickup truck at the end of the lineup is mine...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:05:15 am by Lesley »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 10:08:28 am »
only quibbles with the write up are dad's opinion of the car, and the chick part...

i know my family is a little different than many, but all the 'vets in my family would never use their fighting history to positively speak of a german machine, no matter how nice! and the chick part, you say this one "exudes testosterone".... it's still just make-up on the appearance front... i still find it to be very feminine. i almost said lipstick on a pig, then realized i'm way off.. this is more like an armani suit on a female supermodel.

great piece of machinery, no doubt though! using that wheelbase, i'm not sure how they could make the car perform any better while still having some real world drivability and usefulness. unfortunately, that actual versatility might be what makes this car seem overpriced... people don't look at it as an extravagance because it can be put to daily use, so all of a sudden price is actually looked at, rather than just an arbitrary number. a number that some rich guy can afford to spend on a toy that sees 2000km a yr.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 10:21:53 am »
My dad had no opinion of the car whatsoever, since he died in 1990...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 11:07:47 am »
sorry for your loss and all... i'm just making a point.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 11:16:17 am »
Great read! 
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 12:21:15 pm »
As a military historian, I loved the analogies. Yes, you could get pedantic concerning who would have really said what about what car/plane, but overall was an entertaining read.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 12:25:16 pm »

Sure there is. In fact, there's a track day tomorrow at Mosport's DDT (driver development track) with Ian Law's Car Control School (full disclosure - I work with them :-) ).  Sign up for a full track school, and following lapping days are at a greatly reduced rate - in fact you can lap for a full day for about $100. The beauty of the DDT is that you can bring just about anything as long as it's mechanically sound.
This is from a lapping day several years ago. The pickup truck at the end of the lineup is mine...

Track day tomorrow? hmmmm...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 12:28:20 pm »

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 01:04:00 pm »

2nd!  With Castrol Raceway's Edmonton road course open this summer, I would love to get out for a few track days.  A little tough with 8 week old twins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 01:21:28 pm »

2nd!  With Castrol Raceway's Edmonton road course open this summer, I would love to get out for a few track days.  A little tough with 8 week old twins.

If you go, let me know, Im trying to get the Mustang going so I can go enjoy that track as well, but I love watching the friday night street legals, drifting or the track days.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 01:25:36 pm »

If you go, let me know, Im trying to get the Mustang going so I can go enjoy that track as well, but I love watching the friday night street legals, drifting or the track days.

There are lots of run-what-ya-brung events at the road course this year.  But, I'm loathe to have a roll bar installed into the Miata.  Bars short enough to fit under the top are usually too close to the head for driving without a helmet, making them not very safe for street use.  I suppose I could wear a helmet on the street...   ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 01:28:06 pm »

There are lots of run-what-ya-brung events at the road course this year.  But, I'm loathe to have a roll bar installed into the Miata.  Bars short enough to fit under the top are usually too close to the head for driving without a helmet, making them not very safe for street use.  I suppose I could wear a helmet on the street...   ;D

LOL....stylish, youd look cool driving around St. Albert with a brain bucket  ;D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 01:44:50 pm »

Yes, a local Miata club member had pointed that out to me as well.  He's trying to purchase another ride he can use on the track, but will hold onto his MX5.

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2013, 02:05:58 pm »
Clarification (brain fart moment)

Here's the rates for those of you who'd like to come out and play tomorrow!

ILR Track School- $440 plus HST, lunch, handbook, certificate – Group or Club Rates Available
Lapping Only – $175 plus HST (Must have completed ILR Track School)
Lapping Only – $50 plus HST Expert Drivers Club Members* (* Completed all 4 ILR schools – CCS, Winter, Adv. Autoslalom & Track)

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 02:19:55 pm »
As a military historian, I loved the analogies. Yes, you could get pedantic concerning who would have really said what about what car/plane, but overall was an entertaining read.

Thanks. Sure, I took liberty with what I imagined his opinion would be (which of course has no bearing whatsoever on the opinion of any other air force members) but having known my father as a huge car and race nut as well (who used to race MGs in his native Britain), I felt completely within my rights to include him in a story about a fighter-jet like sports car.  German and Japanese cars weren't around when I was growing up, but there was a succession of vehicles (all with names) from the 1960 Buick LeSabre (Green Witch) he had when I was little,  right up to the red 1970 Camaro he owned when he passed away in 1990.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 04:52:44 pm »
I might say that a Nissan Z might be a close competitor in every way except price...78 thou???? Holy shitskies!! I'll take 2 Zs please..Nice report  Thanks    Jack

The 370Z is a great looking car, but performance wise, the TT-RS will eat it for breakfast. Probably its closest competitor is its stablemate the RS5....unless someone else knows of a 2 door, sport car with AWD.....only one that comes to mind is the Bentley GT  :o

Is a Carrera 4 (or 4S) too obvious of an answer here?

Every time I see a 997 4S I want one. My wife is getting tired of me talking about it and told me today to just go get one....but that would be silly.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »
I might say that a Nissan Z might be a close competitor in every way except price...78 thou???? Holy shitskies!! I'll take 2 Zs please..Nice report  Thanks    Jack

The 370Z is a great looking car, but performance wise, the TT-RS will eat it for breakfast. Probably its closest competitor is its stablemate the RS5....unless someone else knows of a 2 door, sport car with AWD.....only one that comes to mind is the Bentley GT  :o

Every time I see a 997 4S I want one. My wife is getting tired of me talking about it and told me today to just go get one....but that would be silly.

Do it!!!!  Before she changes her mind!!!   ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 05:24:17 pm »

Jesus man, if you can swing it, do it before she changes her mind. Go go go!!