Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Audi A4 Allroad  (Read 22643 times)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Audi A4 Allroad
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2013, 04:19:20 pm »
I'm sure the level of luxury is vastly different between the Audi and the Mazda.

Maybe Rupert & his friend from Waterloo should test drive both back to back and report back on the differences.

If we were all just shopping for functionality only, we'd all drive base model Toyotas...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2013, 04:25:23 pm »
Like no-one can have an opinion but you... and you... and you. I presume that you can read and write, apart from just posting smilies. No-one is saying, what you are rolling on your bellies about. Looking at the Mazda3 it is pretty much a station wagon...close as available these days...to the lesser of us....what's the term you

sorry but i'm going to join the rest here to say comparing the two isn't, well quite right.

The Allroad comes from the A4 - it's a wagon.

The Mazda 3 is a hatch, NOT a wagon.

now you can maybe make an argument and look at the Mazda 3 vs the Audi A3

true competition for the Allroad is the BWM 3-series wagon, the Volvo XC70 and the more affordable Subaru Outback.   If Mazda still made the 6 wagon, I would have added that to the mix... although the Allroad, XC70 and Outback are beefed up wagons... 

I find it increasingly difficult to fairly compare some vehicles as all these sub-segments pop up.

we can at least agree that wagons are hard to find to begin with, affordable ones are nearly non-existant.  (VW Golf Wagon or older Passat Wagons).

The Mazda 3 belongs in a group like the Toyota Matrix, Ford Focus Hatch, VW Golf, Hyundai Elantra Touring.   

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2013, 05:29:27 pm »
Maybe these high priced nice cars are fishing in an on-going smaller and smaller pool.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2013, 05:46:40 pm »
Maybe these high priced nice cars are fishing in an on-going smaller and smaller pool.

Yup, any day now people will come to their senses and the most profitable car companies in the world will all go belly up, any day now...

BTW, how is Mazda doing financially?  I hear they are selling a lot of Mazda 3s.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Silverbird

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 A4 Avant, 2008 VW Rabbit
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2013, 10:12:51 pm »
All things considered this is a nice vehicle. However, I've ranted before and I'll do it again....just please give me an A4 wagon. I saw one yesterday with the S-line package and it's soooooo sweet. I can't believe they don't allow you the option.

If it was White, it might have been me here in K-W.

Had wanted one for a while and then the news of the Allroad replacing the Avant was confirmed, and this one was still on the lot. 

Also some other notes, Cargo space is slightly smaller than a Q5, but the cargo area in the Avant is longer but shorter.  great for rolling in a baby stroller and such, but really only comes into play when stuffing it to the roof.

Also, it is very true that the Q5 is better value, being approximately $3-5k less than the Avant, however the Pano sunroof makes up a good chunk of the difference.  If the TDI Q5 was more firm when I was buying, I definitely would have had a tough decision.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2013, 11:32:36 pm »
All things considered this is a nice vehicle. However, I've ranted before and I'll do it again....just please give me an A4 wagon. I saw one yesterday with the S-line package and it's soooooo sweet. I can't believe they don't allow you the option.

Had wanted one for a while and then the news of the Allroad replacing the Avant was confirmed, and this one was still on the lot. 

Also some other notes, Cargo space is slightly smaller than a Q5, but the cargo area in the Avant is longer but shorter.  great for rolling in a baby stroller and such, but really only comes into play when stuffing it to the roof.

Also, it is very true that the Q5 is better value, being approximately $3-5k less than the Avant, however the Pano sunroof makes up a good chunk of the difference.  If the TDI Q5 was more firm when I was buying, I definitely would have had a tough decision.

That is a hot wagon.  :drool:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2013, 11:58:05 pm »

Wow....your car is absolutely stunning.....  :love: :drool:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2013, 12:21:35 pm »
I've been seeing a few Allroads pop up around here. I like it. And I think the size is ok.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2013, 12:36:59 pm »
I'm surprised by the amount of talk on this thread about practicality and comparisons to more ordinary looking, less expensive vehicles than the allroad. Anyone who chooses this car over others in the segment would already be aware that,  1) of course there are cheaper alternatives available, like the Subaru Outback (and the Mazda 3, apparently, and by that logic, the Chevrolet Sonic), and 2) they really like how the allroad looks, feels, and drives, and they have quantified that fact to the tune of whatever the price difference is between the allroad and its competitors. I say more power to 'em. I don't want to live in a world where everyone drives a Mazda 3, and if I had the means, I would certainly have an allroad in my garage over the competition - and if it became available with the V6T and torque vectoring, I'd probably be out robbing a bank now instead of writing this ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:08:53 pm by lebowski »

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2013, 12:39:42 pm »

+1 that is a beaut!  8)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2013, 02:01:51 pm »

+1 that is a beaut!  8)
+2

jealous. that's definitely where I'd go after my Jetta expires if i could swing it. and those wheels! love those wheels...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman