Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Dodge Dart SXT 2.0  (Read 10451 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Dodge Dart SXT 2.0
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 02:34:59 pm »
I've never driven the Dart, nor even sat in one for that matter, but I've seen quite a few on the roads and IMHO they look pretty nice.  Certainly MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the Calibur or 200.   
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 03:13:59 pm »
I wanted the Dart to succeed because of the Alpha dna.   Think of it - a Milano tuned apex-strafing sedan for under $17k.  But this simply is not a competitive product being 250kg heavy with predictable efficiency.  Hopefully the Dart is improving the Chrysler fleet reliability average but it is simply nothing special or maybe not even average.

If you want to equip the masses with mediocre cars why do we need both Chrysler and GM?   If Chrysler went out (and I'd hope their loss would be replaced by other North American production) non-car enthusiasts would just get another appliance.   And whatever they got, it would probably be better than what they'd get if Chrysler stayed in the mix.  Not that those people would care.

Why do we enthusiast snobs assume non-enthusiasts and the gullible deserve crappy cars?

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 03:21:49 pm »
Nothing to write home about, but I am interested to read a review of the top of the line GT with a 6-speedas stick and to see what the TFT gauges are like.

Yes, this review will be nice. Too bad only three people in Canada will actually buy one.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 04:11:02 pm »
   I wonder where the extra weight comes from..bit larger than some?...more sound insulation perhaps...stiffer structure?...larger standard wheels?...independant rear suspension? All of these things are nice to have for the same or less muhla. A two second spread is nothing to pay or give up for these attributes. Nothing at all for the enthusiasts 'after value'. It seems to make up for the two seconds in spades elsewhere...just reading the previous passage from the tester that I re-posted and the two seconds are only relevant to rubber burning extremists. Ah well...I suppose.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 04:52:37 pm »
   I wonder where the extra weight comes from..bit larger than some?...more sound insulation perhaps...stiffer structure?...larger standard wheels?...independant rear suspension? All of these things are nice to have for the same or less muhla. A two second spread is nothing to pay or give up for these attributes. Nothing at all for the enthusiasts 'after value'. It seems to make up for the two seconds in spades elsewhere...just reading the previous passage from the tester that I re-posted and the two seconds are only relevant to rubber burning extremists. Ah well...I suppose.

Most likely it is because Fiatsler is not spending the extra bucks on high-strength steel. With volumes this low, it is hard to put premium materials in a car. This has always been a problem from Chrysler.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 05:38:04 pm »
Consumer Reports typically have the slowest 0-60 times, so I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it.
Car and Driver has it in the low 9s with this motor and the autobox.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 07:33:02 pm »
Where do they use 'high strength steel'. I suspect all use the same steel...thinner outer panels now with high strength. They dent easier.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 10:34:29 pm »
It's an attractive car.  However, it needs to either go on a diet or gain some horsepower.

As seen on my street earlier this evening.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 07:56:52 am »
Where do they use 'high strength steel'. I suspect all use the same steel...thinner outer panels now with high strength. They dent easier.

HSS is used on frame, cross members, etc.

If you are concerned about denting, I have the perfect car for you... 80s Crown Vic or if you want more Luxury, go for the Buick LeSabre or Park Avenue.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 02:37:52 pm »
The Dart is probably a big improvement over Chrysler's past efforts but I still don't see a reason for this car or the company to exist.

They don't appear to do anything better than the competition and there is nothing unique in their lineup.  Ditto Mitsubishi (even though I have a soft spot for the Galant (2000GTX) of old as well as their older Colts.

But once you go 10+ years without being a leader or highly competitive in any area, its tough to claim you deserve a place at the table.

Cheers,
John M.
Looks like you forgot about Jeep Wrangler which is an icon. Or Dodge GC which is the best selling minivan in Canada. Dodge RAM is quite good as well.
Bombastic

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 04:49:06 pm »

Most likely it is because Fiatsler is not spending the extra bucks on high-strength steel. With volumes this low, it is hard to put premium materials in a car. This has always been a problem from Chrysler.
Well, is better what Honda do then. Don't put any insulation to keep the weight low. So the car is noisy at high speed as hell.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 04:49:54 pm »
It's an attractive car.  However, it needs to either go on a diet or gain some horsepower.

As seen on my street earlier this evening.

the cure for all that ails this car is the Alpha 1.8 Turbo, and sorting out the shift patterns on the DSG.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 05:06:23 pm »

That is not a driveline hump.  This vehicle is not AWD or RWD. The hump is usually there for structural strength.

It most certainly is a driveline hump.  Just because this car doesn't have the prop shaft running beneath it doesn't mean the platform wasn't engineered for an AWD setup. 

Which goes again as to why this car is a bit overweight.  Platform engineering strikes again. 

Yes the Cherokee and the Dart share the CUSW platform.

Also, there is hope for an SRT4 down the road.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 10:31:35 am »
This is so sad it's funny:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/06/11/wdr-chrysler-dodge-dart-recall.html

Conversation went something like this I imagine:

Engineer at Dodge, "Sir, we've discovered that some of the brand new Dart's won't start in cold weather, what should we do?"

Executive at Dodge, "Send them to Canada, that problem won't matter there."

Engineer at Dodge, "But sir....."

Executive at Dodge, "I SAID send them to Canada.  (to himself)  Why can't I work at RAM?" 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 10:56:03 am »

That is not a driveline hump.  This vehicle is not AWD or RWD. The hump is usually there for structural strength.

It most certainly is a driveline hump.  Just because this car doesn't have the prop shaft running beneath it doesn't mean the platform wasn't engineered for an AWD setup. 

Which goes again as to why this car is a bit overweight.  Platform engineering strikes again. 

Yes the Cherokee and the Dart share the CUSW platform.

Also, there is hope for an SRT4 down the road.

"Cherokee"   :hurl: Thats not a Cherokee mate, now these are a Cherokee.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 12:39:06 pm »
not many people seem to be buying the 1.4 with the auto... so i guess that's ok. it's their first venture in the dual dry clutch tranny, so i'm not surprised that they are having some issues with idle and such...

as for cherokee... meh. i've given up on the historic value of names. and even though we all love the old cherokee, if a MY2000 classic was launched today, it would be chastised as the worst car currently built.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 02:12:36 am »
not many people seem to be buying the 1.4 with the auto... so i guess that's ok. it's their first venture in the dual dry clutch tranny, so i'm not surprised that they are having some issues with idle and such...

as for cherokee... meh. i've given up on the historic value of names. and even though we all love the old cherokee, if a MY2000 classic was launched today, it would be chastised as the worst car currently built.

The last Focus DCT I drove was way better than the early iterations but I am not really all that comfortable about them. The one in the early Fiestas were really bad, hunting for gears, hesitations, weird stuff. Being a former Mopar man myself, I would be shocked if Chrysler could make one of these themselves and reliably. I suppose the extra volume spreads the R&D over more units so the quality can be better. At least I hope so.