Author Topic: '13 Ford Focus ST or '13 Mazda Mazdaspeed3?  (Read 14395 times)

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
Re: '13 Ford Focus ST or '13 Mazda Mazdaspeed3?
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2013, 03:52:17 pm »
Congratulations Arctic!  :banana: :cheers: :drv2: :bounce:

You got one very well rated car.

And black...... hmm...... nice.  ;D

Road trip? That's the best, you'll have great memories! As HeliDriver said, just vary the RPMs. And check the owners' manual for the break-in max. RPMs, so that you know where the limit is. Although if you're driving normally, you wouldn't need to worry about that.

Thanks Julie!  It was an excellent road trip and I varied the RPMs constantly.  Car now has over 2,500 kms and I picked it up on June 10th!  Love driving this car.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2013, 03:55:30 pm »
if that package includes all of the scheduled maintenance, plus pads, rotors etc.... i'd say you did well! i wouldn't think the st's brakes are cheap ones...

plus it's nice to know the warranty you buy is guaranteed to get used... it usually offers a few extras as well like road hazard coverage and rental coverage... good stuff!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2013, 04:24:12 pm »
if that package includes all of the scheduled maintenance, plus pads, rotors etc.... i'd say you did well! i wouldn't think the st's brakes are cheap ones...

plus it's nice to know the warranty you buy is guaranteed to get used... it usually offers a few extras as well like road hazard coverage and rental coverage... good stuff!

Thanks!  The "Finance Manager" originally wanted $3,495 for this package.  I'm sure that even with $2,495 price, she still made a decent commission.  Which just goes on to show how much mark-up there is on these type of items.

It's not correct to call them Finance Managers or Finance Directors; they are just another type of sales people. 

Anyone care to chime in on their experiences with these "Finance" people?

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2013, 01:24:11 am »

Anyone care to chime in on their experiences with these "Finance" people?

I've also wondered myself why they've called Finance Managers...

It seems to me their roles are: (a) do the paperwork for the purchase and (b) try to upsell you extra stuff. By the way some of them push, I wonder if they have a quota to meet or are paid a commission for the upsells...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2013, 06:18:24 am »
The one at the M-B dealer was an elegantly dressed lady of a certain age. She just handed me brochures on rustproofing and extended warranty and said she'd call me when the car arrived.   Now the salesman had probably told her that a) I was paying cash and b) that I was buying a nearly base car ( by the standards of the B-class option list).

FWIW the extended warranty package  on the B is $2200 to extend the factory warranty for 2 years (5 and 6 )  and can be bought at any time in the first 4 years.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline gascap

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Mustang(s)
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2013, 04:10:30 pm »
Great choice in cars.  I read the whole thread, but didn't see any pictures?  :popo:

We've had a speed3 for 3 years now, broke the 90,000 km mark last month with no real problems(rear shock developed a leak, was replaced).  I went in to a Ford dealership a few months ago to check out the new Focus ST as an eventual replacement for the speed3, but they didn't have any on the lot to test drive.

FWIW I think you made a good choice.  AFAIK the engine/drivetrain is the same in the speed3 for the past 6 years.  Fuel economy alone is a great reason to choose the Focus.  Check out fueleconomy.gov to see (I can't post external links apparently).

Aesthetically, I prefer the exterior looks of the Mazda over the Focus, and the interior of the Focus over the Speed3....but that is subjective.  The optional recaro seats in the Ford are pretty sweet.  The "Bose" stereo in the 2008 Speed3 is weak even for an oem unit.  I"m not sure if they've rectified that in the current verison.