Author Topic: '13 Ford Focus ST or '13 Mazda Mazdaspeed3?  (Read 14430 times)

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
Re: '13 Ford Focus ST or '13 Mazda Mazdaspeed3?
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:02 pm »
Good choice - congrats!

So, are you ordering one, or taking the orange? I'm not a huge fan of the oddball colours, myself. I do think the exterior of the Focus looks really sharp in silver or dark grey, though.

Thanks!

No, I'm not taking the orange.  LOL.

There is one black one available in Saskatchewan, and the dealer said that I could go there and drive it back. 

Just wondering if it is a good idea driving 400+ kms on highway on a brand new car... 

Thoughts?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »

Yes, it is much smaller than the 'Speed3 and yes, the reliability may not be as good as the Mazda which is built in Japan, but it has a vastly superior interior. 

Congrats!!

How exactly is it "much smaller"  here are the interior dimensions...the Focus is certainly larger in cargo...but "much smaller"??

Rear cargo:

Mazda3 22.5ft3
Focus 24.5ft3
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:35:19 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:44 pm »

Yes, it is much smaller than the 'Speed3 and yes, the reliability may not be as good as the Mazda which is built in Japan, but it has a vastly superior interior. 

Congrats!!

How exactly is it "much smaller"  here are the interior dimensions...the Focus is certainly larger in cargo...but "much smaller"??

I wonder how they came up with these dimensions? 

But if you sit inside both the cars, you will certainly notice the difference. 

Cargo space is also noticeable by the bare naked eye.  Keep in mind that Focus is ~6" shorter in length which certainly impacts its interior space.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2013, 10:37:01 pm »
Post-delivery road trip? Hell, yeah!

Just don't set the cruise control and drone along at a steady pace. Break-in gives you an excuse to row through the gearbox and vary engine speeds as you go.

I might not give it full throttle right away, but wouldn't shy away from some spirited acceleration. I'm sure Ford will have some instructions in the manual, but break-in isn't a hugely onerous thing these days.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:08:51 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 10:47:47 pm »

Congrats!!

Cargo space is also noticeable by the bare naked eye.  Keep in mind that Focus is ~6" shorter in length which certainly impacts its interior space.

But the extra 6" is mostly in the back.  All of the driver/front specs are larger in the Focus.

Or were you being chauffered around in the back?   ;D

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2013, 11:05:50 pm »
Post-delivery toad trip? Hell, yeah!

Just don't set the cruise control and drone along at a steady pace. Break-in gives you an excuse to row through the gearbox and vary engine speeds as you go.

I might not give it full throttle right away, but wouldn't shy away from some spirited acceleration. I'm sure Ford will have some instructions in the manual, but break-in isn't a hugely onerous thing these days.

Will do!

Congrats!!

But the extra 6" is mostly in the back.  All of the driver/front specs are larger in the Focus.

Or were you being chauffered around in the back?   ;D

Hahah... 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2013, 11:12:32 pm »
Anyways...congrats!  I think you made a great choice (by what I've read).

Can't wait to see pic!

What day will you have it??

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 11:24:40 pm »
Congrarts,  I really like the Focus ST.  After reading more about it I'm no longer sure I'd go for the MkVI GTi

Sure the ST's looks aren't as crisp as Mazda's...

Interesting.  To my eye the Focus ST is hands-down a better looking car than the MS3.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2013, 11:28:34 pm »
Congrats....enjoy!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 12:05:04 am »
Congratulations! It's one of the cars that exceeded my expectations. :thumbup:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2013, 12:26:56 am »
Congrats!! Looking forward to show & shine. You might be the first on the forum to get an ST.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2013, 07:21:51 am »
Congrats and enjoy!  This is a car I really need to test out.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 08:03:22 am »
Excellent!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 08:28:59 am »
Awesome!  I really like the ST.  I'm getting one early July finally to test.

My only concern is on track brake wear because of the electronic LSD but for most that is not an issue.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2013, 11:13:20 am »
Looks like the Quaife differential is compatible with the torque vectoring system and will be available for the North American ST through the aftermarket.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/5791-quaife-atb-differentials.html

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2013, 12:35:12 am »
Anyways...congrats!  I think you made a great choice (by what I've read).

Can't wait to see pic!

What day will you have it??

Thanks!

Deal was just finalized today, and we are going to Sasketchewan on Sunday to pick it up.  Teaser pics to come soon!

Congrarts,  I really like the Focus ST.  After reading more about it I'm no longer sure I'd go for the MkVI GTi

Sure the ST's looks aren't as crisp as Mazda's...

Interesting.  To my eye the Focus ST is hands-down a better looking car than the MS3.

No way!  I've always thought Focus is a bit weird, and give me the smiley face anyday over the Focus' fishy face.  =)

Awesome!  I really like the ST.  I'm getting one early July finally to test.

My only concern is on track brake wear because of the electronic LSD but for most that is not an issue.

Would you recommend I get the Ford's maintenance package which includes oil changes, all the filters, clutch disc, brakes, bulbs, wiper blades, tire rotations and more?  Costs $2,495 and is good for 84 months or 120,000 kms.  I'm debating whether it's worth pre-paying this maintenance package given that it includes brake pads, brake lines, and rotors...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2013, 03:25:42 am »
Nice choice! It would've been a close decision for me as well. I want one, but that tight rear seat is still an issue for me.

Your regular maintenance will cost $2200 over 120,000 km. My Mazda 5's front brake pads still had 4mm on them after 100,000km using the OE Value Pads I bought from the dealer. Tire rotations are a good idea if you're not inclined to do it yourself. I replaced some of my bulbs with LEDs right away. Hard to tell. Do you plan on wearing out your clutch in 120,000km? Lol.

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2013, 10:18:26 am »

Sounds expensive. For reference, prepaid maintenance on the S4 was $750 for 4yrs / 70,000kms. Ford's is less than double the time & km's but over 3 times the price. You do get coverage for pads & rotors which Audi doesn't include - but if you do mainly highway miles, you may not need them within the period.

Clutch sounds more like a warranty coverage than maintenance, and how much do you really expect to spend on bulbs (can't  recall the last time I had to change one) or wipers?

Would you recommend I get the Ford's maintenance package which includes oil changes, all the filters, clutch disc, brakes, bulbs, wiper blades, tire rotations and more?  Costs $2,495 and is good for 84 months or 120,000 kms.  I'm debating whether it's worth pre-paying this maintenance package given that it includes brake pads, brake lines, and rotors...

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2013, 10:19:17 pm »
Congratulations Arctic!  :banana: :cheers: :drv2: :bounce:

You got one very well rated car.

And black...... hmm...... nice.  ;D

Road trip? That's the best, you'll have great memories! As HeliDriver said, just vary the RPMs. And check the owners' manual for the break-in max. RPMs, so that you know where the limit is. Although if you're driving normally, you wouldn't need to worry about that.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 03:51:12 pm »
Nice choice! It would've been a close decision for me as well. I want one, but that tight rear seat is still an issue for me.

Your regular maintenance will cost $2200 over 120,000 km. My Mazda 5's front brake pads still had 4mm on them after 100,000km using the OE Value Pads I bought from the dealer. Tire rotations are a good idea if you're not inclined to do it yourself. I replaced some of my bulbs with LEDs right away. Hard to tell. Do you plan on wearing out your clutch in 120,000km? Lol.

Hahah... I hope not!  I ended up getting the Maintenance package: 7 years or 150,000 kms for $2,495.  Includes filters, 18 oil changes, wiper blades, brake pads, rotors, clutch, shock absorbers, spark plugs, transmission fluid, and a few other things. 

By my quick calculations, the cost for all of this is well over $3,000 assuming I only have to replace brake pads once and do all the 18 "services" with them over the next 7 years. 

Good choice!  I drove the ST the local dealer has when they got it in last year...I thought it was pretty damn fast and would've loved more time behind the wheel.  Wish my Fusion felt that fast.  Turbo engines just feel amazing...I'm sure it'll put a smile on your face daily.

Thanks Keh-vin!

Sounds expensive. For reference, prepaid maintenance on the S4 was $750 for 4yrs / 70,000kms. Ford's is less than double the time & km's but over 3 times the price. You do get coverage for pads & rotors which Audi doesn't include - but if you do mainly highway miles, you may not need them within the period.

Clutch sounds more like a warranty coverage than maintenance, and how much do you really expect to spend on bulbs (can't  recall the last time I had to change one) or wipers?

That is true, but keep in mind that most of the maintenance of the car happens right after the 4-year mark: spark plugs, brakes, etc. 

Furthermore, the maintenance is fully transferable if I sell the car though I have full intention of keeping this car for the next foreseeable future!