Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Buick Encore Premium  (Read 14983 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Buick Encore Premium
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 10:41:08 am »
I believe it - Chevrolet will have similar success with the Trax. It's exactly what the North American consumer is asking for. It looks like a luxurious SUV (life statement) wrapped up in a compact package that gets good fuel economy (the reality portion). I just hope that these misshapen blobs don't eclipse the compact hatchback. I'd take a loaded Golf over one of these any day, but I might have a different opinion when I'm 75.  ;)

The last thing I'd want to be in when I'm 75 is a squished CUV wannabe with a dinky 1.4T. Tahoe would be my grocery getter  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 10:44:25 am »
I believe it - Chevrolet will have similar success with the Trax. It's exactly what the North American consumer is asking for. It looks like a luxurious SUV (life statement) wrapped up in a compact package that gets good fuel economy (the reality portion). I just hope that these misshapen blobs don't eclipse the compact hatchback. I'd take a loaded Golf over one of these any day, but I might have a different opinion when I'm 75.  ;)

The last thing I'd want to be in when I'm 75 is a squished CUV wannabe with a dinky 1.4T. Tahoe would be my grocery getter  ;D

Hallelujah.....this is a Sonic with a AWD, you can put in as many luxury items as you want, this will still only apply to the fashion conscious out there. People who are actually looking for a car with substance will not even give this or the Trax a second look.
Lighten up Francis.....

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:59 am »
I've noticed quite a few full load looking Chevy Trax' running around town, wearing farm plates and driven by women. Yet to see an Encore tho.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 10:51:39 am »
Except for the price, it's probably a pretty good replacement for the Pontiac Vibe, which sold very well for GM.  In fact it resembles a Vibe on steroids with a Buick grille.  It's a bit ungainly to my eyes, though and that screen in the center of the dashtop looks like an aftermarket add on.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 10:54:14 am »
ouch from the IIHS crash test ratings though...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 11:01:41 am »
I think the very poor reliability of the previous B also has something to do with it.

Doubt it. Very poor reliability of pretty much all GM products across the board in the last few decades (with a few recent exceptions, though the jury is still out) isn't stopping the ladies from buying the "cute" Encore. Pure emotion in motion.

In the real world, GM reliability has been pretty middling. Feel free to hate on though.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 11:12:40 am »
I think the very poor reliability of the previous B also has something to do with it.

Doubt it. Very poor reliability of pretty much all GM products across the board in the last few decades (with a few recent exceptions, though the jury is still out) isn't stopping the ladies from buying the "cute" Encore. Pure emotion in motion.

In the real world, GM reliability has been pretty middling. Feel free to hate on though.

I'd say "tread carefully" rather than "hate". A car is an inanimate object, I feel no love or hatred towards it. I dislike GM's philosophy and way of doing things which affects my perception (and residual values) and keeps me away from their products. No hatred, just choices based on economics. Like the new Impala, don't like the company making it.

Northernridge

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 11:14:00 am »
I suspect this new generation of even smaller high-feature CUVs will continue to grow in popularity. If one can come to terms with the price/size ratio then there's something there.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 11:15:25 am »
I think one of the biggest issues with the B series from MB, was the lackluster engine in the last generation.  I think this new generation will do better, but MB hasn't promoted it much that I can tell.  The powertrain in the B is better than the Encore that is for sure.

As mentioned in the above thread, looks is the #1 thing that sells, somewhat true.  But why did all the wagons disappear, surely they are better looking than these things...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 11:15:48 am »

Never found GM to be a very unreliable company just a when it came to anything but trucks and full size SUVs they were terribly lacking in imagination, style and the drive to keep up with the competition.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 11:23:25 am »
I suspect this new generation of even smaller high-feature CUVs will continue to grow in popularity. If one can come to terms with the price/size ratio then there's something there.

Agree. We are slowly but surely getting closer and closer to the waterdrop shape - all about energy and space efficiency.
One thing I hope for is technology advancements focus more on energy sources and driver/passenger safety with testing procedures closer to real-life hwy speeds. Instead, manufacturers focus on making cars an extension to an iPhone.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 02:09:41 pm »

Agree. We are slowly but surely getting closer and closer to the waterdrop shape - all about energy and space efficiency.
One thing I hope for is technology advancements focus more on energy sources and driver/passenger safety with testing procedures closer to real-life hwy speeds. Instead, manufacturers focus on making cars an extension to an iPhone.
blame China
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Northernridge

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 02:46:37 pm »

blame China

Not China, America. Tesla's roots are in software and technology for example, they are not trying to build a car like a car company, their doing it more like a software or tech company. Lots of pundits have said cars will be built around smartphones and connectivity technologies to appeal to the younger generation. This is already happening. There is lots written about this...almost weekly in Bloomberg and the Economist...fascinating stuff.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:26 pm »

blame China

Not China, America. Tesla's roots are in software and technology for example, they are not trying to build a car like a car company, their doing it more like a software or tech company. Lots of pundits have said cars will be built around smartphones and connectivity technologies to appeal to the younger generation. This is already happening. There is lots written about this...almost weekly in Bloomberg and the Economist...fascinating stuff.
well I also blame the Chinese - a huge car market that only cares about gadgets, comfort, and back seat room.

Yes tech goodies are great, but they should be ADD ONS, not the reason d'etre of a vehicle. Cars should be designed for driving first, then tech goodies second.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 03:47:25 pm »

blame China

well I also blame the Chinese - a huge car market that only cares about gadgets, comfort, and back seat room.

Yes tech goodies are great, but they should be ADD ONS, not the reason d'etre of a vehicle. Cars should be designed for driving first, then tech goodies second.

Then you'd best blame the Germans as well since their luxury cars had many of these gadgets first. Of course, NOBODY in North America or anywhere else for that matter would prioritize the same way as you state.  Pretty weak argument to blame the Chinese for vehicles that won't even head over that way - most of the manufacturing is done over there for the Chinese market, is built specifically for that market and tends to not be brought across to the US/Canada.   

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 03:50:05 pm »

Yes tech goodies are great, but they should be ADD ONS, not the reason d'etre of a vehicle. Cars should be designed for driving getting from A to B quickly and safely first, then tech goodies second.

/\
||
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:41:57 am by whaddaiknow »

Northernridge

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 04:39:23 pm »
Apple or Samsung should make a car. Outsource the chassis and drivetrain to a Japanese or South Korean car company (nobody will care), design the body, interior and especially the connectivity themselves and have Magna assemble them. Sell them at the Apple Store and online.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 04:45:44 pm »
Apple or Samsung should make a car. Outsource the chassis and drivetrain to a Japanese or South Korean car company (nobody will care), design the body, interior and especially the connectivity themselves and have Magna assemble them. Sell them at the Apple Store and online.
quite a good business model actually. Like what HP/Dell does with their laptops and desktops. Find some good OEMs, then brand the hell out if it and make everything all shiny.

btw just sold another Encore. That makes two this week. And one last week. And two the week before...

all empty nesters or women. Or men who cant stand up to their woman...

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 04:51:38 pm »
the iCar - twice as expensive as an equal car, designed so you could never open the hood, and it would only be sold in white.  ;)

Northernridge

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 04:56:18 pm »
the iCar - twice as expensive as an equal car, designed so you could never open the hood, and it would only be sold in white.  ;)

...and fully integrated with your iPad...why certainly, when would you like to take delivery Mr. and Ms. Everyone-under-25?

BTW, you can get the iCar2 in black...and aftermarket cases in any colour you like...even patterns.