Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Buick Encore Premium  (Read 14984 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Buick Encore Premium
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:29:01 am »

The Buick Encore is a tiny but well-equipped premium crossover ' but is it worth the asking price?

Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Buick Encore Premium
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:32:26 am »
At first glance, it appears to be the perfect vehicle for retirees to pull behind their motorhomes.  The price for the premium model is ridiculous.  Not far off the GLK250 territory at $40k.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:38:16 am »

The Buick Encore is a tiny but well-equipped premium crossover ' but is it worth the asking price?

Read More...

I guess I could go to Buick.ca, but the article doesn't mention the difference between the base and premium, I don't need every feature listed, but an idea of why there is such a large differ, it's not like there is difference in powertrain..

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:45:32 am »
we can't keep these things on the lot to save our lives. They are selling like crazy, even the fully loaded ones
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:53:06 am »
we can't keep these things on the lot to save our lives. They are selling like crazy, even the fully loaded ones

What do you expect for a product that is less than 4 months old, it doesn't have much competition, would probably sell more if it had the 2.4L from the Verano in the premium trim.  Something to make it even more upscale than the Trax...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:56:15 am »

Wow!  I have yet to see one on the roads around here.  I got to drive one for a week in the spring, and while I didn't enjoy its highway performance (or lack of it), I found it to be a fun, zippy in-town grocery-getter.  Loved the interior, but hated the centre stack. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:07:33 am »
At first glance the trims on the GM website, Encore Convenience FWD, $27,130, Encore Leather FWD, $30,190 (just to get heated leather seats and steering wheel, no sunroof, same rims), Encore Premium FWD, $32,505, still no sunroof ($1100 option), just chrome rims, not sure what else...$2000 for AWD extra on each trim.  At least they give you the option...

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 09:24:31 am »
For those prices they can keep the lil pug

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 09:28:49 am »
Seems to follow the latest M.O. of many car companies.
Build them shorter and taller with promised turbo hypo engine which fails in many aspects (power or fuel economy) and supposedly they will come.  ???
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 09:35:53 am »
I've started seeing these in Waterloo - two thus far.

One I would assume was a female yuppie and the other a retired lady.

Seems about right.

Same here in Ottawa. So far seen exactly two with exact same demographic as you. My wife's reaction when she saw one was  :hurl: And we were driving the Crosstour  ;D
Would be a great grocery getter for around $30k well equipped (AWD, power hatch and a bunch of electronic goodies). But at $40k - someone has to be really out there to want one.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:07:17 am »
Exterior design looks a little off to me...like an Enclave that got melted down in the sun or something...

Interior looks nice.

Is this thing about the same size as a Mercedes B class?   I would much prefer the B.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 10:14:49 am »
The Encore sold 675 units last month. Better than I would have thought. That puts it in 5th place just behind the RDX and ahead of the GLK.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 10:15:15 am »

Really....I cant honestly say Ive seen one on the roads.  :think:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 10:15:48 am »
Exterior design looks a little off to me...like an Enclave that got melted down in the sun or something...

Interior looks nice.

Is this thing about the same size as a Mercedes B class?   I would much prefer the B.

The "B" is HUGE compared to this. The back seat in the "B" has more leg room that the E-class. And it's in the same snack bracket as the Buick. And it packs way more performace out of it 2.0T engine and 7-speed dual clutch transmission. AND it has much better real life fuel economy to boot. The only thing going for the Buick is available AWD and subjective aesthetics.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 10:19:17 am »
The Encore sold 675 units last month. Better than I would have thought. That puts it in 5th place just behind the RDX and ahead of the GLK.
You can't really compare it to the GLK.
But the fact the anonymous looking RDX is selling better speaks for itself.
I wonder where all these 675 sold units are and what the average transaction price is.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 10:23:55 am »
I wonder where all these 675 sold units are and what the average transaction price is.

True. The Encore tops out at about where the GLK gets going as far as price.

There are quite a few of them on the road here. The only one at the dealer when I was there was sold.

For the record, the MB B sold 300 units last month, down from 363 the month before.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 10:32:34 am »

There are quite a few of them on the road here. The only one at the dealer when I was there was sold.

For the record, the MB B sold 300 units last month, down from 363 the month before.

It is a clear testament that people choose the looks above all else. Functionality comes second or third. And quite honestly, in a large percentage of cases, functionality isn't that important, period. So good looks are 95% success. Ladies find the Encore "cute" - that's good enough. They won't even do the little bit of research or attempt to compare it to the competition.

Case in point. My wife and her first job. Her look was set on the bloody Echo back in 2005. No matter how hard I tried to get her to explore other options (Mazda3 was my favorite at the time), she was willing to pay premium for what she deemd to be "cute". Love affair was short-lived but it was a win for Toyota.

The "B" from MB is anything but a looker. Shame, really, as it is a very nice hatch with peppy powertrain with excellent utility. But iot's not "cute" so it doesn't sell well.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 10:33:50 am »

It is a clear testament that people choose the looks above all else. Functionality comes second or third. And quite honestly, in a large percentage of cases, functionality isn't that important, period. So good looks are 95% success. Ladies find the Encore "cute" - that's good enough. They won't even do the little bit of research or attempt to compare it to the competition.

Case in point. My wife and her first job. Her look was set on the bloody Echo back in 2005. No matter how hard I tried to get her to explore other options (Mazda3 was my favorite at the time), she was willing to pay premium for what she deemd to be "cute". Love affair was short-lived but it was a win for Toyota.

The "B" from MB is anything but a looker. Shame, really, as it is a very nice hatch with peppy powertrain with excellent utility. But iot's not "cute" so it doesn't sell well.

I think the very poor reliability of the previous B also has something to do with it.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 10:38:00 am »

I believe it - Chevrolet will have similar success with the Trax. It's exactly what the North American consumer is asking for. It looks like a luxurious SUV (life statement) wrapped up in a compact package that gets good fuel economy (the reality portion). I just hope that these misshapen blobs don't eclipse the compact hatchback. I'd take a loaded Golf over one of these any day, but I might have a different opinion when I'm 75.  ;)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 10:38:50 am »
I think the very poor reliability of the previous B also has something to do with it.

Doubt it. Very poor reliability of pretty much all GM products across the board in the last few decades (with a few recent exceptions, though the jury is still out) isn't stopping the ladies from buying the "cute" Encore. Pure emotion in motion.