Author Topic: Comparison Test: Sport Sedans  (Read 44488 times)

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
Re: Comparison Test: Sport Sedans
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2013, 03:29:49 pm »
Buick as a brand is outselling Acura in the US by about 13000 units year to date. It's also outselling Audi, Infiniti, Lincoln and Volvo, with sales up by 27% YTD.

This is greatly due to Cash back incentives.

Also, isn't there three times as many Buick dealers in the US than Acura, expecially evident in the smaller centres?  Might sway sales figures.
Well, there is always something that convince people to buy one car or another. So Buick is ahead of Acura. Period.
Bombastic

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2013, 04:45:30 pm »
Acura really has nothing to offer in this class anymore that is competitive enough to run with MB, BMW, and now even Cadillac.

This is your first post?  Any car that can be within 0.5 of a second on a fairly tight track with an S4, that isn't too bad at all.

Looks like Acura had no trouble beating MB and Cadillac here:

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/comparison_tests/46k_sport_sedan_shootout
Might not be too bad but not in the same class. Take Mustang for instance

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2013, 04:47:03 pm »
The Acura TL SH-AWD Tech with the manual should have been a part of this test and should be a consideration.

While it's certainly "middle of the road" in comparison with the competition it puts up some damn good numbers and offers better value for money - to Redman's point.

The FR-S isn't a sedan and certainly can't work for family duty like the cars mentioned. If you sit in a 335 or S4 after sitting in a FR-S you will think it's twice the car.....because it is.
Acura is not a true luxury brand. So as it was said before. Value for money is a quite relative term. People buying German cars don;t really care at the Japanese competitors. Lexus might be an exception.

::) Have you ever driven one? or even sat in one?
Yes :)) I did both. Surprise!!!!

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2013, 04:53:32 pm »
The Acura TL SH-AWD Tech with the manual should have been a part of this test and should be a consideration.

While it's certainly "middle of the road" in comparison with the competition it puts up some damn good numbers and offers better value for money - to Redman's point.

The FR-S isn't a sedan and certainly can't work for family duty like the cars mentioned. If you sit in a 335 or S4 after sitting in a FR-S you will think it's twice the car.....because it is.
Acura is not a true luxury brand. So as it was said before. Value for money is a quite relative term. People buying German cars don;t really care at the Japanese competitors. Lexus might be an exception.

See, what does that mean "people who by German cars?" That's such a loaded statement. I literally went out to buy a German car and bought a TL. WTF are you talking about? Also, in terms of "near-luxury" I don't know what that means either. The interior of my TL BLOWS AWAY my the interior of my parent's A4...it's an entry level A4 but still they cost the same.

No one is saying the TL is the best car here. Indeed, it's probably far from it. However, when you're walking into dealerships ready to spend 50K of your hard-earned money you look at things from a broader context.

If my budget was 60 or 70K, yeah, I wouldn't buy a TL...but if we're talking broader context the TL is a worthy option, IMO.
Looking at you vehicles you are a Honda fanboy. Most buyers disagree with you. Hence dismal sales that Acura has. It is near luxury. Luxury is 60-70% perception. And Acura does not have it. Period

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2013, 05:09:03 pm »
Looking at you vehicles you are a Honda fanboy.

Is that you Meow?  Are you back under another name?  Please troll elsewhere.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »
Can't argue with the results of this comparison.  The S4 is a fantastic car...but it's pretty much priced between the 335i and the M3 (or C350 and C63, IS350 and IS-F).  I was offered a great deal on a pre-facelift 2012 S4...still wonder if I made the right decision  :-\

You can really see how subjective these comparisons can be.  Sometimes the ATS and C350 rank high, here they are near the bottom.  It also goes to show how tight this segment is.

Did the authors set out to test AWD models only?  The problem with the 335i xdrive is that with the "Sport Line" or even the "M-Sport" model, you don't get the sports suspension.  The author did note that the 335i may not have got as many points for comfort had it been equipped with the sport suspension...but I can tell you that my 335i with the optional sport suspension is nowhere near as harsh as the E90 or my previous 135i with sport suspension (pleases my wife, displeases me).

I'm surprised the 335i had 17"s on.  Not only do they look silly in the big wheel wells, but I couldn't even fit my old 17" winters on and had to go up to 18"s for winter.  It's also worth noting that the 335i Sport Line now comes standard with 18" allseasons standard!  WTF?!  I had to upgrade to the 19"s to get low pro summers.  Do the other cars in this segment come standard with allseason too?

As soon as I started reading the review, was a little disappointed that it was all AWD.  Not sure what the ratio is, but I don't see as many as AWD compared to just the RWD.  Wonder if the ranking would have been different if they were all RWD only?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2013, 06:38:56 pm »
]

Am starting to think the same....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2013, 06:44:09 pm »

Looking at you vehicles you are a Honda fanboy. Most buyers disagree with you. Hence dismal sales that Acura has. It is near luxury. Luxury is 60-70% perception. And Acura does not have it. Period

Dismal sales?  Acura outsold Audi, Porsche, Cadillac, Infiniti, Lincoln, to name a few in April sales.

Would hardly call that "poor" sales.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2013, 06:48:36 pm »

You don't speak Troll.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2013, 08:07:49 pm »
No one is saying the TL is the best car here. Indeed, it's probably far from it.

Actually a few posts back it was declared the winner!

Good thing there wasn't a Hyundai in the comparo, then the judges would be contractually required to call it the winner and we'd really have a brouhaha on our hands.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2013, 09:04:24 pm »
Looking at you vehicles you are a Honda fanboy.

Is that you Brutus? What a farce here. Some fanboys coming and starting pushing their cars that was not even part of the comparo and then trashing others when they don't agree with that? Looks like you are a TROLL in fact.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2013, 09:06:13 pm »

Dismal sales?  Acura outsold Audi, Porsche, Cadillac, Infiniti, Lincoln, to name a few in April sales.

April sales? we are on May 1st today. Where did you get your numbers from? Link please!!!!!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:40 pm »
Great comparo, gents!!  My choice out of the 5 would be the S4 as well, without question.  The Volvo would probably be my second pick.  Although, I've never driven either though.  Hopefully there will be another comparo just like this when the IS and Q50 are out. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2013, 09:35:28 pm »
^^Whatever, Honda slappy.. ;D.     :rofl2:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2013, 10:33:20 pm »
My only point, as a TL owner, would be that I think the TL is REALLY underrated. Just the attitude of a number of the posters here clearly reveals that: a) they don't know what they're talking about and b) certainly haven't driven a SH-AWD TL.

I think if it weren't so ugly (my opinion, but probably the opinion of the majority) it wouldn't be underrated.

Obviously changing the appearance doesn't change the objective qualities one bit.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2013, 11:50:50 pm »

See, what does that mean "people who by German cars?" That's such a loaded statement. I literally went out to buy a German car and bought a TL. WTF are you talking about? Also, in terms of "near-luxury" I don't know what that means either. The interior of my TL BLOWS AWAY my the interior of my parent's A4...it's an entry level A4 but still they cost the same.

No one is saying the TL is the best car here. Indeed, it's probably far from it. However, when you're walking into dealerships ready to spend 50K of your hard-earned money you look at things from a broader context.

If my budget was 60 or 70K, yeah, I wouldn't buy a TL...but if we're talking broader context the TL is a worthy option, IMO.

Wow. A Honda fanboy. I never would believe I'd be called that. Listen, spend some time on the forum before you go calling people fanboys. I think if you looked at what I've driven and what car I constantly lust over you'd realize I'm no Honda fanboy. The TL is my first Honda I've owned, other than my lawnmower. MY wife drives an MDX, that I enjoy driving up to my family cottage.

I also never pushed "my car." I merely stated (to the author) that it would add an interesting dynamic if you considered price and the value perspective. I believe I've mentioned several times here, in an attempt to appear unbiased, that the TL would probably finish last in this comparo. If someone put all these cars in front of me as said "take one for free" I wouldn't take the TL...it's not really in the same class in the sense it's a bit in no man's land.

My only point, as a TL owner, would be that I think the TL is REALLY underrated. Just the attitude of a number of the posters here clearly reveals that: a) they don't know what they're talking about and b) certainly haven't driven a SH-AWD TL.

Let's be clear again. No one is saying the TL would come in here and compete on an equal footing. Essentially, a few of us have stated that it exists as an interesting value proposition and doesn't give up "too much" in comparison considering you're looking at something 15K-20K less. This is a fact that cannot be denied. 

That's it. Let's please move on.
Ok, my bad. Looks like I did not understood you correctly. Just to be clear. I don't think TL is a bad car. I was considering it in the previous iteration. It was a real beauty. The new one has a lot of good features. It just does not have the same appeal as the old one.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2013, 06:53:56 am »
You can get the M adaptive suspension as an option, though. Really should be standard as part of the m-sport, but it does then allow you to firm up the dampers (Sport + or whatever the setting is is firmer than the passive setup in xdrive models).

Can't argue with the results of this comparison.  The S4 is a fantastic car...but it's pretty much priced between the 335i and the M3 (or C350 and C63, IS350 and IS-F).  I was offered a great deal on a pre-facelift 2012 S4...still wonder if I made the right decision  :-\

You can really see how subjective these comparisons can be.  Sometimes the ATS and C350 rank high, here they are near the bottom.  It also goes to show how tight this segment is.

Did the authors set out to test AWD models only?  The problem with the 335i xdrive is that with the "Sport Line" or even the "M-Sport" model, you don't get the sports suspension.  The author did note that the 335i may not have got as many points for comfort had it been equipped with the sport suspension...but I can tell you that my 335i with the optional sport suspension is nowhere near as harsh as the E90 or my previous 135i with sport suspension (pleases my wife, displeases me).

I'm surprised the 335i had 17"s on.  Not only do they look silly in the big wheel wells, but I couldn't even fit my old 17" winters on and had to go up to 18"s for winter.  It's also worth noting that the 335i Sport Line now comes standard with 18" allseasons standard!  WTF?!  I had to upgrade to the 19"s to get low pro summers.  Do the other cars in this segment come standard with allseason too?

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2013, 09:09:32 am »
You can get the M adaptive suspension as an option, though. Really should be standard as part of the m-sport, but it does then allow you to firm up the dampers (Sport + or whatever the setting is is firmer than the passive setup in xdrive models).

Incorrect.  The sport suspension CANNOT be added with xDrive (M-sport or not).  It IS standard with the M-sport package on the non-xDrive 335i or it could be added as a standalone option in 2012.

All 2012+ 3 series have an adaptive setting (Ecopro -> Comfort -> Sport -> Sport+), but that's not the same as the sport suspension.

Vman, I always knew you were a Honda fanboy!  Even when you were pushing GM...I knew you were a closet Honda fan   ;D