Author Topic: Comparison Test: Sport Sedans  (Read 44513 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Sport Sedans
« on: April 30, 2013, 06:31:56 am »

We line up five compact luxury sport sedans for an elimination round ahead of new arrivals from Infiniti and Lexus.

Read More...

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Comparison Test: Sport Sedans
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:15:31 am »
You biased S.O.B.'s! If I were there to help add balance to the scoring...oh wait...I was

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:24:41 am »
Audi has got it together over the last few years. Add a flash to the ECU and that 3.0 can run with an RS4.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:27:57 am by Snowman »

Offline vols1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:44:52 am »
Nice reviews. Maybe Mercedes C class doesn't want to be a sports sedan. Judging from their sales numbers, which have grown over the 6 years of this version, they seem to have found their customers with their formula. You can bet the 2014 redesign will err on the less sporty side. Why mess with their customer base.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:06:30 am »
Nice reviews. Maybe Mercedes C class doesn't want to be a sports sedan. Judging from their sales numbers, which have grown over the 6 years of this version, they seem to have found their customers with their formula. You can bet the 2014 redesign will err on the less sporty side. Why mess with their customer base.
The C class is not a sports sedan just a smaller M-B sedan.   the new CLA and CLA AMG will be sports sedans I bet
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:09:20 am »
Was surprised to see the Mercedes C-Class in the line up in the first place....it's usually a (leased) car I associate with aspiring realtors in the GTA.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:47:20 am »
“Hey you wretched pencil-pushing journos. I have a brother who can run all these girlie-man sport sedans into the rhubarb and have them crying for their mommies. And at $67,375 it undercuts your beloved $68,740 Audi S4. Can you say C 63 AMG? Can you say 451 horsepower and 443 lb-ft from one of the greatest V8 engines ever fashioned by humankind?

I’m listening. "

Thanks for doing our work for us, nothing for us to say on top of that.  ::) Although I sense an AMG wouldn't have won anyway.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:14:03 am »
On the speedo front...the Caddy is a clear winner. Large central speedo with satalites. Whilst I prefer single round instruments set in a flat background, the caddy combined display appears to be very nice. Second in this catagory is the MB I guess but I dislike the raised surrounds, still ok I guess. The rest nicely done only. Handling...who cares...they all must be more than adequate and appointments are all out of my league anyway. Welllll...you know...bench seat and all.
The handling of these cars...I propose is of secondary importance to the appointments. It has to be there of course but that is about it on our roads. The cars statement being...ahh..I could do all of that stuff... see the TV adds. I just prefer not to. Well; you can't bend such beautiful things can you.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:17:14 am by Rupert »

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:15:06 am »
Why is Acura out if Volvo is in?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:26:31 am »
“Hey you wretched pencil-pushing journos. I have a brother who can run all these girlie-man sport sedans into the rhubarb and have them crying for their mommies. And at $67,375 it undercuts your beloved $68,740 Audi S4. Can you say C 63 AMG? Can you say 451 horsepower and 443 lb-ft from one of the greatest V8 engines ever fashioned by humankind?

I’m listening. "

Thanks for doing our work for us, nothing for us to say on top of that.  ::) Although I sense an AMG wouldn't have won anyway.

Right, might as well bring in the M3 into the mix then :P . Not many people buy an M3 or C63 AMG in base trim.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:49:34 am »
Nice review.
I agree that the MB is no sports sedan and MB needs some fixing there. Maybe saving to much for their AMG line.
The current BMW style also does not work me. It's simply become to mundane and superseded by many less expensive cars.

One thing that really stands out here is the cost of some of these vehicles, approaching $70K packaged out before tax.
Our easy acceptance of easy escalating price tags has become sad and will only lead to accelerated further "country pricing".
The industry is smiling. Caveat emptor
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:54:19 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:48 am »
I think the pricing has a lot to do with leasing. Audi and BMW have pretty healthy residuals so the monthly price, which is all most customers care about these days, remains somewhat affordable, at least in the context of them being +/- $70k vehicles. This is one factor that makes it very difficult for the domestic brands to compete, since their residuals are far worse, and therefore it probably costs the same to lease per month even if the sticker price is several thousand lower.

Nice review.
I agree that the MB is no sports sedan and MB needs some fixing there. Maybe saving to much for their AMG line.
The current BMW style also does not work me. It's simply become to mundane and superseded by many less expensive cars.

One thing that really stands out here is the cost of some of these vehicles, approaching $70K packaged out before tax.
Our easy acceptance of easy escalating price tags has become sad and will only lead to accelerated further "country pricing".
The industry is smiling. Caveat emptor

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:06:10 am »
Nice review.

Caveat emptor. The industry is smiling.

If you want the nice stuff you have to pay for it.

"Welcome the sheep"

Your statement is exactly what I'm referring to. You must be a great negotiator (sarcasm)
Markets react to market demands. As long as we as a nation are willing to pay whatever is posted and not question value or price equivalency to other territories, we're on wrong end.
That being said I agree with "bluelines" comment that these vehicles are mostly leased and based on high residual costs effecting the montly costs and so much about the final costs.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:01 am »
Good comparison, I enjoyed reading it.  I was surprised to see the Mercedes last.  My top 2 would be the same.  Add the M sport pack and manual gearbox to the 335, and that would be a very tough call for me.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:46 am »
You biased S.O.B.'s! If I were there to help add balance to the scoring...oh wait...I was

Very entertaining reading. Unfortunately, you guys did it so well you left virtually nothing for me to b1tch about.  ;D
Keep'em coming!  :thumbup:

The Q50, CLA, IS350 and even the aging TL thrown in the mix will add a few interesting pages to the next article.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 10:19:23 am »

I’m listening. "

Right, might as well bring in the M3 into the mix then :P . Not many people buy an M3 or C63 AMG in base trim.

What do you need more than a howling V8 soundtrack and the rich smell of burning tire rubber??  ;D If I was spending close to $70K, CPO E class AMG or an M3 sedan thank you. The Audi is beautiful, but I like my german sedans all conquering.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:24 am »
I'm a sheep because I'm not a cheap w.h.o.r.e and understand the notion that nicer stuff costs more money?

Go ahead, buy a 30 thousand dollar sports sedan and let me know how it stacks up.

At $30K the FR-S is a great car. My point being is that these cars are not twice the car but are priced at twice or more.

It's about value for the price. Even nicer stuff have an inherent value. In this case it's just become skewed and we the public have allowed that. That's my point.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:30:34 am by redman »

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 10:29:38 am »
For me this would quickly be narrowed down to Audi vs BMW, simply because no one else offers a manual (at least not in the their top engine trim).

I'd sacrifice some the the 'frivolous' (IMO) packages and simply add Sport packages and the stick.   No idea what I'd choose without vigorous test driving.  I do prefer the Audi's styling.

Great time to be shopping in this category....especially as these may represent some of the last generations for a manual sport sedan.  Pity...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:33:59 am by evil_twin »

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 10:33:11 am »
I'm a sheep because I'm not a cheap w.h.o.r.e and understand the notion that nicer stuff costs more money?

Go ahead, buy a 30 thousand dollar sports sedan and let me know how it stacks up.

At $30K the FR-S is a great car. My point being is that these cars are not twice the car but are priced at twice or more.

It's about value for the price. Even nicer stuff has an inherent. In this case it's just become skewed and we the public have allowed that. That's my point.

In your opinion.  The FR-S is filled with plastic, has a 4 cylinder engine, and peaks at 151 lb ft of torque.

I'm sure there are MANY people who feel an S4 is twice the car. 

It's all relative...

Northernridge

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 10:41:09 am »
Fun review...no quibbles here plus I haven't driven all of these cars. I have driven several C Class though and have never been impressed with them – neither as sports nor luxury sedans. Have also driven plenty of A4s and 3 Series and I like them both but prefer the Audi. Audi would be my choice in this mix...but I would pause at the BMW...

But – at nearly 70K I'd walk right past the S4 and buy a garden variety A6 and not look back. Unless I'm going with the RS, AMG and M version of these cars the value equation falls away for me north of $55k...at which point I'd step up to the mid-sized sedans. However, I do value luxury over sport sedan prowess by a small margin.