Author Topic: Comparison Test: Sport Sedans  (Read 44485 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Comparison Test: Sport Sedans
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2013, 01:19:08 pm »
sooooo S4 is better than all.

If it is too pricey, buy the corresponding year that matches with your budget. The 2010 is looking really nice for the massive savings you get.

As said, all are great. I personally dont feel the TL competes too well in this arena, but that is IMHO. I have not driven one past the mid 2000s so maybe it is much better now.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline RS4Dalf

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-4
  • ...the RS4 is perfectly hewn & crushingly capable.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Audi RS4
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2013, 04:23:11 pm »
booyah... Audi rocks.

The B8 S4 is my second favourite car... lol.   And I owned a G35... it's not even close, even if it's rebadged as Q50.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:25:10 pm by G35Dalf »
I'm like a slinky... I'm only fun when you push me down the stairs.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2013, 04:59:36 pm »
As soon as I started reading the review, was a little disappointed that it was all AWD.  Not sure what the ratio is, but I don't see as many as AWD compared to just the RWD.  Wonder if the ranking would have been different if they were all RWD only?

No, the rankings most certainly wouldn't have been the same if it was all RWD cars.  The Audi and Volvo wouldn't have even been in the test then.   ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2013, 06:18:51 pm »
booyah... Audi rocks.

The B8 S4 is my second favourite car... lol.   And I owned a G35... it's not even close, even if it's rebadged as Q50.
no it isnt, not even remotely.

How is that RS4 treating you? That is in my top three realistic dream cars to own someday...

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2013, 01:01:09 pm »
I don't think that's accurate. The adaptive suspension can be had on the xDrive 335i (and on the 328i wagon, but not the sedan), but only if you also specify the M Sport package. M Adaptive suspension is a $500 option on the 335i xDrive and part of the $1,400 M Performance package on the F31 328i xDrive (with M Sport). Sport+ does firm up the suspension more than the standard car, xDrive or not. I would call that a sports suspension option.

The other 3 series models in Canada do not have adaptive suspension. The various drive control settings don't do anything to the suspension -- just throttle response, etc.

You are correct that it is not possible to get a passive sport suspension set up on Canadian xDrive cars though.

You can get the M adaptive suspension as an option, though. Really should be standard as part of the m-sport, but it does then allow you to firm up the dampers (Sport + or whatever the setting is is firmer than the passive setup in xdrive models).

Incorrect.  The sport suspension CANNOT be added with xDrive (M-sport or not).  It IS standard with the M-sport package on the non-xDrive 335i or it could be added as a standalone option in 2012.

All 2012+ 3 series have an adaptive setting (Ecopro -> Comfort -> Sport -> Sport+), but that's not the same as the sport suspension.

Vman, I always knew you were a Honda fanboy!  Even when you were pushing GM...I knew you were a closet Honda fan   ;D

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2013, 07:51:58 pm »
The Acura TL SH-AWD Tech with the manual should have been a part of this test and should be a consideration.

While it's certainly "middle of the road" in comparison with the competition it puts up some damn good numbers and offers better value for money - to Redman's point.

The FR-S isn't a sedan and certainly can't work for family duty like the cars mentioned. If you sit in a 335 or S4 after sitting in a FR-S you will think it's twice the car.....because it is.
Acura is not a true luxury brand. So as it was said before. Value for money is a quite relative term. People buying German cars don;t really care at the Japanese competitors. Lexus might be an exception.

See, what does that mean "people who by German cars?" That's such a loaded statement. I literally went out to buy a German car and bought a TL. WTF are you talking about? Also, in terms of "near-luxury" I don't know what that means either. The interior of my TL BLOWS AWAY my the interior of my parent's A4...it's an entry level A4 but still they cost the same.

No one is saying the TL is the best car here. Indeed, it's probably far from it. However, when you're walking into dealerships ready to spend 50K of your hard-earned money you look at things from a broader context.

If my budget was 60 or 70K, yeah, I wouldn't buy a TL...but if we're talking broader context the TL is a worthy option, IMO.
Looking at you vehicles you are a Honda fanboy. Most buyers disagree with you. Hence dismal sales that Acura has. It is near luxury. Luxury is 60-70% perception. And Acura does not have it. Period

Wow. A Honda fanboy. I never would believe I'd be called that. Listen, spend some time on the forum before you go calling people fanboys. I think if you looked at what I've driven and what car I constantly lust over you'd realize I'm no Honda fanboy. The TL is my first Honda I've owned, other than my lawnmower. MY wife drives an MDX, that I enjoy driving up to my family cottage.

I also never pushed "my car." I merely stated (to the author) that it would add an interesting dynamic if you considered price and the value perspective. I believe I've mentioned several times here, in an attempt to appear unbiased, that the TL would probably finish last in this comparo. If someone put all these cars in front of me as said "take one for free" I wouldn't take the TL...it's not really in the same class in the sense it's a bit in no man's land.

My only point, as a TL owner, would be that I think the TL is REALLY underrated. Just the attitude of a number of the posters here clearly reveals that: a) they don't know what they're talking about and b) certainly haven't driven a SH-AWD TL.

Let's be clear again. No one is saying the TL would come in here and compete on an equal footing. Essentially, a few of us have stated that it exists as an interesting value proposition and doesn't give up "too much" in comparison considering you're looking at something 15K-20K less. This is a fact that cannot be denied. 

That's it. Let's please move on.

No matter the "value" of the TL, it loses me on looks alone and I actually used to be a huge Honda fanboy...that is until the ugly beak appeared.   1991-1996 Acura Legend was the best design ever - understated, classy, good power, etc.  I'm sure your TL is a technological marvel and I bet it beats some of these cars as a "pure" value proposition, but that's it...would never buy one personally.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2013, 03:52:46 pm »
I like these fruitless discussions! Seems to me from all five competing cars the winner is ...the sixth one - Acura TL. LOL
TROLL
Bombastic

Offline Car Guy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design. Previous Vehicles: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 Subaru Legacy, 2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Ack!), 1991 Chevy Cavalier, 1983 Mustang GT
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2013, 03:54:24 pm »
Pretty good comparison.  I own a 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design and my previous car was a 328xi Coupe.  The Volvo is not as good a car as the 3 series, but it is also easily $10K less expensive.  I'm not driving it to the edge anyway so the difference is not as noticable.  But $10K less expensive, wicked warranty and non of those "old BMW" issues........??  I'm not sayin........I'm just sayin...........!!

Offline saurus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 VW Touareg
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2014, 11:21:05 pm »
this is the first time I have seen an autos.ca thread descend into lowly autoblog territory.