Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014873 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #2320 on: April 21, 2014, 12:34:20 am »
Drove it!!!!!

for the first time in a month and a half.
with new brakes.

Bedded in the new brakes, adjusted the air in the spring/summer/fall tire, (surprisingly, didn't lose much. 2~ lbs?)

then went for a nice hot bath.. 

Not me, silly.  the car. ;D

look at its satisfied evil smile

All clean and ready for some serious driving.  (no...  it needs a careful coiffing first by way of some elbow grease polishing and new coat of wax)

damn..  I was excited to drive it for the first time in so long.   just gotta get some maintenance out of the way($$$) and i'm a happy camper.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2321 on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:48 am »

Yes!!  ;D

See, http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,87503.60/topicseen.html

Congrats! He's a handsome little guy!

I believe he has the original 'green machine'.

I borrowed my friend's to deep clean my Sienna. Great machine. Been meaning to get one myself. I used Folex carpet cleaner with it rather than the Bissell carpet cleaning chemical.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2322 on: April 21, 2014, 07:51:25 am »
Aqua, that car still looks great! I've noticed that if I don't drive one of my own cars for a long while it feels like getting a new car when I do finally get it out. Great feeling! and pretty thriffty too :)

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: April 21, 2014, 08:29:12 am »
Drove it!!!!!

with new brakes.

Bedded in the new brakes, adjusted the air in the spring/summer/fall tire, (surprisingly, didn't lose much. 2~ lbs?)

Looks great!  What pads did you use?  OEM?  Looking for alternatives for my wife's car - her OEM pads make a lot of dust.
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2324 on: April 21, 2014, 09:39:21 am »
Drove it!!!!!

with new brakes.

Looks great!  What pads did you use?  OEM?  Looking for alternatives for my wife's car - her OEM pads make a lot of dust.
Thanks!
re: Pads.   I used the powerstop ceramic.  it was part of a brake rotor&pads kit from RockAuto.
i can't say for sure how much dust this makes, because i only drove it for 30 km on it.  :(   but i'm thinking it can't be worse than stock.  that was a ton of dust.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #2325 on: April 21, 2014, 03:03:34 pm »
Last week, heading in to work I went over a small bump then a clank and the rear left side started making lound clunking and banging noises. Pulled over and couldn't see anything under the car so I popped the rear cover behind the seats and saw my top strut mount had rusted through.  The spring was still supporting the car but the shaft of the strut was just bouncing around  >:(

Anyway, limped it home as I wasn't that far.  Ordered both sides as I figured the right side would probably be in similar condition.  Luckily, my wife was carpooling that day and I was able to take the 5 to work.  Did the "loan a tool" at Cdn Tire for the spring compressors and did the job in my garage last Sunday.  Well, rear is good as new, but as with all older cars, there's other noises I still have to address  :-\

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2326 on: April 21, 2014, 03:24:44 pm »
Nice work man, keeping her on the road :)

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: April 21, 2014, 03:29:39 pm »
Nice work man, keeping her on the road :)

Thanks man.  It's a labour of love...  err hate...  LOL

Seriously though, I don't mind doing the work but :censor: always happens at the worst times :banghead:

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #2328 on: April 21, 2014, 07:11:33 pm »
Not a steamer but the model I have - the ProHeat one - heats the liquid and it seems to work well.

My sense is that it works well for the price. I think I got it for around $70.

EDIT:
- What I like about it: You can spray the heated liquid detergent onto the carpet (as much as you want) and then brush it in as much as you want. (I like being able to work it in with lots of liquid and heat.) Then you can suck the carpet dry with the suction in the turbo brush. The machine is also well designed and easy to clean (including the brushes)
- What isn't practical about it: You need smaller brushes for the crevices/ smaller areas.

Does anyone know of a high quality steamer that isn't too expensive?
I have pretty much the exact same unit.  Mine is black and has 'AutoCare Proheat' on it.  Still a Bissell, it's probably the same thing inside.  Works pretty well.  I'd like the liquid to come out a little hotter than it does.  I'd also like the hose to be a little lomger.  Otherwise, no complaints.  I've tried a couple of different solutions in it.  It's done a good job in the car, on furniture, and spots on the carpet.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #2329 on: April 21, 2014, 07:14:43 pm »
Not a steamer but the model I have - the ProHeat one - heats the liquid and it seems to work well.

My sense is that it works well for the price. I think I got it for around $70.

EDIT:
- What I like about it: You can spray the heated liquid detergent onto the carpet (as much as you want) and then brush it in as much as you want. (I like being able to work it in with lots of liquid and heat.) Then you can suck the carpet dry with the suction in the turbo brush. The machine is also well designed and easy to clean (including the brushes)
- What isn't practical about it: You need smaller brushes for the crevices/ smaller areas.

Does anyone know of a high quality steamer that isn't too expensive?
I have pretty much the exact same unit.  Mine is black and has 'AutoCare Proheat' on it.  Still a Bissell, it's probably the same thing inside.  Works pretty well.  I'd like the liquid to come out a little hotter than it does.  I'd also like the hose to be a little lomger.  Otherwise, no complaints.  I've tried a couple of different solutions in it.  It's done a good job in the car, on furniture, and spots on the carpet.

Agree on both points. It could heat the liquid better and the hose could be longer.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #2330 on: April 21, 2014, 07:18:56 pm »
Thorough post-winter interior cleanup on both cars today.  Took out the winter mats, vacuumed the floors and seats. Had to use the Bissell for a few spots on the carpet in the Subaru.  Put the summer mats back in. Cleaned the inside top to bottom with a cloth and a bucket of warm water.  Cleaned the inside of the glass, Rain-x'd the outside. Gave the winter mats a good clean with the hose and bucket of soapy water, let them dry in the sun, and put them away til the fall.

They're both spotless inside now. Let's hope Mrs. 5 Wheel Drive keeps it that way... ;)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2331 on: April 21, 2014, 08:37:50 pm »
Nice work man

Nice work?  Buy the tool you frickin' cheapskate!

:nono:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: April 21, 2014, 08:42:11 pm »
Nice work man

Are you kidding me?  I do more work on cars than most people I know.  And I'd NEVER buy a spring compressor for shocks.  Waste of cash.  Mainly because you use it....ummm....almost never?  And beyond that...they are extremely dangerous.

I guess I'm a cheapskate too?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2333 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:37 pm »
Nice work man

Are you kidding me?  I do more work on cars than most people I know.  And I'd NEVER buy a spring compressor for shocks.  Waste of cash.  Mainly because you use it....ummm....almost never?  And beyond that...they are extremely dangerous.

Yes, you cheap :censor:, now send me some cigars!

:rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: April 21, 2014, 09:01:10 pm »
Nice work man

Yes, you cheap :censor:, now send me some cigars!

:rofl2:

I'd rather play around with a live hand grenade than a spring compressor.  I'm joking...but not by much.

Please call me when you plan on using one...I'll come and watch.  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:03:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2335 on: April 21, 2014, 09:05:13 pm »
Pulled the summers out of the shed for the V, washed them thoroughly front and back, and swapped with the winters.  Funny, the summers are noticeably louder than the winters.

Haven't swapped the tires on the truck yet.  Oh well, temps are supposed to be hovering around zero by midweek .
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:07:19 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: April 21, 2014, 09:07:53 pm »
Funny, the summers are noticeably louder than the winters.

Same thing on the IS300.  They are performance summers though...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2337 on: April 21, 2014, 09:50:27 pm »
Funny, the summers are noticeably louder than the winters.

Same thing on the IS300.  They are performance summers though...

Ha ha, not so much on the CRV.  Conti Crosscontact LX for the summer vs X-ice Latitude xi2 for the winter.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 21, 2014, 09:54:28 pm »
Nice work man

Really, what for? So I can use it again in 10yrs? I have no issues buying tools that I need but the "loan a tool" program exists to help the diyer so we don't have to buy every specialty tool. This is a program that actually exists at CT, I didn't do the buy with intention of returning it thing. If it didn't exist, then I would've bought the tool  ::)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: April 21, 2014, 10:32:28 pm »
Nice work man

Really, what for? So I can use it again in 10yrs? I have no issues buying tools that I need but the "loan a tool" program exists to help the diyer so we don't have to buy every specialty tool. This is a program that actually exists at CT, I didn't do the buy with intention of returning it thing. If it didn't exist, then I would've bought the tool  ::)

My bad, apologies.  I thought you bought it, used it and returned it.