Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3050876 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #19460 on: Yesterday at 09:34:38 pm »
The 'good' MGB hadn't been touched since I drove it into the garage October last year the night it was moved down here. I did have it hooked up to a maintainer at least, one kid is sick so we cancelled out day plans and I decided to tinker with it a bit. Plus, the local British Car Club is hosting their big annual show in a couple weeks and it would be nice to bring this out...Started right up on the first crank, so I gave the engine bay a quick detailing and then decided to fix the dead fuel gauge by replacing the sending unit in the tank. Fortunately, pretty easy job on this, used a siphon pump to drain most of the tank, the sending unit is easily accessible on the side of the tank and was a nice smooth job to swap it out.

Weather was sketchy so I didn't take it out of the garage, but tomorrow I will get it out and down to the gas station for a fresh tank....The stuff that came out was pretty old so I'll run it though my lawn mower.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #19461 on: Yesterday at 09:38:21 pm »

The 'good' MGB hadn't been touched since I drove it into the garage October last year the night it was moved down here. I did have it hooked up to a maintainer at least, one kid is sick so we cancelled out day plans and I decided to tinker with it a bit. Plus, the local British Car Club is hosting their big annual show in a couple weeks and it would be nice to bring this out...Started right up on the first crank, so I gave the engine bay a quick detailing and then decided to fix the dead fuel gauge by replacing the sending unit in the tank. Fortunately, pretty easy job on this, used a siphon pump to drain most of the tank, the sending unit is easily accessible on the side of the tank and was a nice smooth job to swap it out.

Weather was sketchy so I didn't take it out of the garage, but tomorrow I will get it out and down to the gas station for a fresh tank....The stuff that came out was pretty old so I'll run it though my lawn mower.

Nice that you don't have to drop the tank to get to the sending unit! Makes things MUCH easier.

Still wish you were my neighbour, but you'd probably get sick of me :rofl:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #19462 on: Yesterday at 09:55:08 pm »
The 'good' MGB hadn't been touched since I drove it into the garage October last year the night it was moved down here. I did have it hooked up to a maintainer at least, one kid is sick so we cancelled out day plans and I decided to tinker with it a bit.

What product is that on the underside of the hood? 
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19464 on: Yesterday at 10:47:09 pm »

Nice that you don't have to drop the tank to get to the sending unit! Makes things MUCH easier.

Still wish you were my neighbour, but you'd probably get sick of me :rofl:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

lol, I wish too, feel like we'd have a good time. When I lived in Mississauga my garage/driveway was right on the sidewalk so I'd be into a right mess and some random would always either walk by and make a stupid comment or want to start talking. Now, no neighbors in eye-shot, no sidewalks, etc it's a massive improvement in working conditions....but it would be really nice to have someone close by to lend a hand when needed. Firm Jr. is getting there, but still more of a hindrance than a help

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #19465 on: Today at 01:38:08 am »

What product is that on the underside of the hood?

https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Pro-Space-24-in-x-10-ft-Radiant-Barrier-Bubble-Aluminum-Foil-Reflective-Insulation-RBQP52410/328323115?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D22-022_004_INSULATION-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NEW-PMAX&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D22-022_004_INSULATION-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NEW-PMAX-71700000099246740--&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwodC2BhAHEiwAE67hJDJTw68ym1diUlH_N5hF05EfTGt26kQdeQZUyDyZ_dLOlUp8LmdviBoCLMYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This kinda stuff. I have a roll and install it in ever MGB I've owned. The factory insulation is horrible stuff, falls apart and makes a mess everywhere. This stuff works great, and I like the looks.

Thanks.  The Corolla has no hood insulation, but I fear adding a factory pad would be eaten by rodents in no time since it's parked outside.