Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3042944 times)

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #19420 on: August 19, 2024, 06:53:49 pm »
A similar thing happened to me a few years back driving my G35. Ran over a sharp piece of metal which immediately proceeded to deflate the tire. Put the four ways on and just limped it on the shoulder on the deflated tire, since I knew it was finished anyways, until I could get off the highway safely to call CAA.

Unnerving for sure and people were honking at me despite my four ways on and a clearly destroyed rear tire. People are such asshats these days.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #19421 on: August 23, 2024, 09:24:56 am »
Sold the MDX yesterday. Had it listed for 10 min before a guy called and said he’d come with cash in the evening. Well, he showed up and took the car. It feels like I underpriced it but was in line with SK/AB pricing. Now to fill the gap. You get one guess on what the replacement  will be.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #19422 on: August 23, 2024, 09:29:00 am »
Sold the MDX yesterday. Had it listed for 10 min before a guy called and said he’d come with cash in the evening. Well, he showed up and took the car. It feels like I underpriced it but was in line with SK/AB pricing. Now to fill the gap. You get one guess on what the replacement  will be.

Lexus RX350

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19423 on: August 23, 2024, 10:44:23 am »

Lexus RX350

It was the favourite of Mrs. BC until we went on a road trip this past week to southern AB.  With the kids, dog, and luggage the MDXs cargo area was nearly full.  We realized the RX just wouldn't work.  The cargo area of the RX is significantly smaller than the MDX, which we knew but didn't want to admit that it wouldn't work.   

The '23 and up RX definitely feels more luxurious more feels more vault like.  I'm not a fan of the powertrains.  The hybrid feels gutless and the turbo four in the regular RX is rough in comparison to the MDX's V6.  Mrs. BC isn't a big fan of the MDX's center console looks with all the piano black, but its still the right vehicle for us at this time.  We looked at/considered pretty much everything. 

Anyway, have a few irons in the fire for a replacement.  Will likely be traveling to AB to pick up a '22 or '23 in the next week or two.  SK selection sucks as usual. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19424 on: August 23, 2024, 10:46:24 am »
Pretty drastic measure because of a flat tire, no?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19425 on: August 23, 2024, 11:05:39 am »
Pretty drastic measure because of a flat tire, no?

Hey, didn't want to have to put a new one on, haha. 

We've been thinking of replacing one of the vehicles for a while.  As you know I decided to keep the truck.  I know, it might make more sense to replace the older vehicle but the truck is at the point where I can drive it into the ground (the plan anyway) and it not bother me.  I also don't want to be in the situation where 5 years from now I'm replacing both of them, I prefer not to overlap the purchases.  The MDX is our main family hauler and would prefer to to have that as our nicer ride.  It was in great shape, got a decent dollar from it with no fuss, so moving on.  Part of me is just making excuses for buying a new vehicle.  I question getting rid of it but its done.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 11:07:24 am by bridgecity »

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #19426 on: August 23, 2024, 12:46:00 pm »

Latest gen MDX? You said '22 or '23..

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #19427 on: August 23, 2024, 12:51:17 pm »

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking a newer MDX.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19428 on: August 23, 2024, 12:53:45 pm »

Yes, latest gen.  Forgot you had one JG20.  Anything I should be looking out for or wary of?

It funny, every single used one I've looked at has curb rash on a wheel, or all wheels.  Its ridiculous.  Our '14 had zero curb rash.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19429 on: August 23, 2024, 01:18:14 pm »

Yes, latest gen.  Forgot you had one JG20.  Anything I should be looking out for or wary of?

It funny, every single used one I've looked at has curb rash on a wheel, or all wheels.  Its ridiculous.  Our '14 had zero curb rash.

Funny, saw that on a bunch of used ones (previous gen) as well when we were shopping for ours. Dunno what it is. Ours has a couple minor marks despite 360deg cam. Wife's daily...

2 issues since we've gotten ours, not sure if it's common. Gas cap is electronic release that's supposed to be automatic, push in when car is off and it pops out. It failed last year during a snowboard trip. Had to pry it open to fill as we were getting low. Solenoid was replaced under warranty.

Also, 2 front wheel bearings were replaced earlier this year under warranty. It developed a hum at highway speeds over the winter. Otherwise, it's been great. Very comfortable local and highway cruiser that can be athletic if called upon. I'm sure you know that with yours.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19430 on: August 23, 2024, 01:41:54 pm »

. Had to pry it open to fill as we were getting low. Solenoid was replaced under warranty.

There should be an emergency release in the back hatch area, no?

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19431 on: August 23, 2024, 01:58:45 pm »

. Had to pry it open to fill as we were getting low. Solenoid was replaced under warranty.

There should be an emergency release in the back hatch area, no?

There is. It wasn't working either, was stuck.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19432 on: August 23, 2024, 02:15:47 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  Two wheel bearings in a young vehicle isn't the most confidence inspiring but at least they were under warranty. 

Artic Steve also gave me positive feedback about his MDX.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19433 on: August 23, 2024, 02:17:59 pm »
I get the feeling that Honda/Acura quality is slipping quite a bit in the last 4-5 years. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #19434 on: August 23, 2024, 02:22:06 pm »
I get the feeling that Honda/Acura quality is slipping quite a bit in the last 4-5 years.

I wouldn't disagree with that. Purely an impression but it seems like Toyota and Honda were neck and neck many years ago when it came to reliability........not so much today
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19435 on: August 23, 2024, 02:23:45 pm »
Been hearing that for years, dependability studies show that I guess. 

I've owned quite a few over the years, and all have been great.  None flawless, but really good.  The MDX was really good.  I'll be disappointed if the next one doesn't follow along.  Didn't think we'd end up in another MDX but the package is really good.  Haven't bought one yet but heading that direction.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19436 on: August 23, 2024, 02:37:56 pm »
22 is also 1st model of the newer gen. Don't usually go that way due to 1st model year issues, but it was the best fit of what we test drove at the time. Not sure what your budget is but 25 models do away with the touchpad and switch to touchscreen. That being said, no issue with touchpad for us and it keeps the screen clean  :).

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19437 on: August 23, 2024, 02:45:12 pm »
22 is also 1st model of the newer gen. Don't usually go that way due to 1st model year issues, but it was the best fit of what we test drove at the time. Not sure what your budget is but 25 models do away with the touchpad and switch to touchscreen. That being said, no issue with touchpad for us and it keeps the screen clean  :).

Thanks, trying to keep this under 60.  Touch screen would be nice, but like you I've found no issue using the touch pad. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19439 on: August 23, 2024, 03:00:57 pm »
I would love that.  Mrs BC, not so much.