Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3042802 times)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #19320 on: May 31, 2024, 10:16:06 pm »
Finally after 9 1/2 years its time to replace the OEM summers on my 335i, 225 fronts and 255 rears 19 inch. Getting them installed tomorrow.

This morning I cleaned the wheels…I know I’m going to get my man card revoked, but I really dislike detailing or cleaning cars. Results are great, don’t like the process.

Seems like you just picked that up a couple years ago.   

I know right! Time sure flies. It only has 56,000 km and is in great shape. And as much as I don’t enjoy it, I’m going to show it some love with a full detail it deserves. Maybe I’ll even put a coat of wax or clear coat on it :)

I used to LOVE detailing cars - mine, my wife's / parents' / sister's etc.  Can't freaking stand it now. There's always a long list of things I'd rather be doing. I'm a convert to the whole ceramic thing primarily for ease of maintenance.  An expensive initial outlay (or time-consuming to DIY), but a piece of cake to keep it looking like new thereafter.  If you go that route, I can't recommend Gyeon Wet Coat highly enough.  You spray it on to a wet car, panel by panel, and immediately hose it off.  That's it.  Applying it to your whole car takes literally two minutes.  Makes even those lazyman spray and wipe products seem like a freaking chore in comparison.  :rofl2:

Interesting product. Super easy but it only lasts 12 weeks. Might give it a try given how easy the application is.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19321 on: May 31, 2024, 11:11:47 pm »

Interesting product. Super easy but it only lasts 12 weeks. Might give it a try given how easy the application is.

I used to use it on my intricate wheels to keep them cleaner longer.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #19322 on: June 01, 2024, 07:44:03 pm »
We recently bought a carpet cleaner that has an upholstery attachment.  So I spent an hour and half cleaning the seats in the cars.

The amount of dirt it pulled up was truly staggering.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19323 on: June 01, 2024, 08:21:24 pm »
We recently bought a carpet cleaner that has an upholstery attachment.  So I spent an hour and half cleaning the seats in the cars.

The amount of dirt it pulled up was truly staggering.
Oh yea, it's crazy!

We have leather now so it's not so bad.

But upholstery can get shockingly dirty!

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #19324 on: June 03, 2024, 12:13:45 pm »
Ye old faithful Trundra gave me some trouble this past week. The starter wouldn’t turn on several occasions. After trying several times it would eventually go but I couldn’t diagnose it because it would always start when I went to diagnose. I ended up cleaning battery and chassis ground connections really well, and clean the fuse/relay box under the hood which was filthy with dust. I pulled the starter relay and had a look at it and put it back in. Since then the truck has started every time. I thought the starter was shot but maybe not. I’ve watched a few vids and it is a :censor: to change. I’ll drive the truck to work this week and see if it acts up again. I’m guessing I’m not out of the weeds because the connections I cleaned were pretty good to begin with but who knows. Intermittent electrical problems are a pain.

I did grab a spare relay from parts store so if it happens to strand me I can at least try swapping relays. Funny, local dealer wanted $170 for the relay and $1050 for the starter. If I end up doing the starter I found a shop that will rebuild with a 24hr turnaround.

Well six months later and the starter is acting up again.  It is strange, as it never acted up at all until last week after having an issue with it back in December.  Anyway, it is making a loud click when not starting where the starter is located, therefore telling me the solenoid is engaging, which likely means everything is working as it should up to the starter.  I called around this morning, and Toyota wants $1700+tax to replace, and and a local indy wants $1650 with a non Toyota starter.  Toyota calls for 7.5hrs labour, while the indy is calling for 10 hours.  A mechanic buddy said he's not about to let me pay for that much labour so he ordered the starter from Toyota through his place of work for $500 and he's going to install it when it arrives.  Puts me without a truck for a week or so as the starter is 3-5 days away, but I can make do and work from home for the next while. 

My initial quote from Toyota for the starter back in December was $1100.  When I called them this morning for a quote it was $580.  Not sure where the original number came from.  Almost like they gouge on price if you don't get the work done there.  Or somebody just effed up. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 12:17:00 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #19325 on: June 03, 2024, 12:19:40 pm »
Washed the wifey car and the truck.  There's some tar or sapp on my hood that is very hard to remove,  i tried to rub it off but actually scratched the clear coat a bit.  I had to hit it with some counpound after.   Maybe I'm not made for paint TLC, I'll just slightly was from now on and stop looking at it.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #19326 on: June 03, 2024, 12:27:44 pm »
Whoa, that’s one pricy starter! Hopefully the install goes well.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19327 on: June 03, 2024, 01:24:59 pm »
Whoa, that’s one pricy starter! Hopefully the install goes well.

Ya no kidding heh.  I could pick up a reman unit from a parts store, but those are about $350.  Figured for an extra $150 I'd go for the original. 

Toyota calls for the exhaust manifold to be removed in order to replace the starter.  I've watched a few videos and there's other ways around it, but not sure it would be any simpler.  I'm not too excited about removing an exhaust manifold on a 17 year old truck but my buddy knows what he's doing so we'll figure it out on way or another.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #19328 on: June 04, 2024, 11:37:54 am »
Finally changed over to summer tires on the Crosstrek. Between being away for a couple weeks, getting all the windows replaced in the house, and putting the garden in that job just kept getting pushed back

So quiet now

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #19329 on: June 05, 2024, 06:56:31 am »
Finally after 9 1/2 years its time to replace the OEM summers on my 335i, 225 fronts and 255 rears 19 inch. Getting them installed tomorrow.

This morning I cleaned the wheels…I know I’m going to get my man card revoked, but I really dislike detailing or cleaning cars. Results are great, don’t like the process.

Seems like you just picked that up a couple years ago.   

I know right! Time sure flies. It only has 56,000 km and is in great shape. And as much as I don’t enjoy it, I’m going to show it some love with a full detail it deserves. Maybe I’ll even put a coat of wax or clear coat on it :)

I used to LOVE detailing cars - mine, my wife's / parents' / sister's etc.  Can't freaking stand it now. There's always a long list of things I'd rather be doing. I'm a convert to the whole ceramic thing primarily for ease of maintenance.  An expensive initial outlay (or time-consuming to DIY), but a piece of cake to keep it looking like new thereafter.  If you go that route, I can't recommend Gyeon Wet Coat highly enough.  You spray it on to a wet car, panel by panel, and immediately hose it off.  That's it.  Applying it to your whole car takes literally two minutes.  Makes even those lazyman spray and wipe products seem like a freaking chore in comparison.  :rofl2:

12 weeks means twice over the course of the summer - and since it adds 2 minutes to the time you spend washing the car, the greater frequency of application is not much of a downside.  Now, it works best as maintenance for protected paint, but I have even sprayed in on a car with zero wax / sealant and it works way better than something this easy has a right to.  Just doesn't last nearly as long in those circumstances.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #19330 on: June 05, 2024, 06:58:40 am »
Washed the wifey car and the truck.  There's some tar or sapp on my hood that is very hard to remove,  i tried to rub it off but actually scratched the clear coat a bit.  I had to hit it with some counpound after.   Maybe I'm not made for paint TLC, I'll just slightly was from now on and stop looking at it.

Tip for sap removal: hand sanitizer gel.  Glop it onto the spot, let it sit for 5 minutes, wipe off.  The alcohol dissolves the sap and the gel keeps it in place long enough to do so.

My daughter parks under a tree at her place at school that is just constantly dripping sap.  Freaking nightmare to stay ahead of that sticky crap.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19331 on: June 05, 2024, 09:05:43 am »
^^Thanks for the tip. I like this approach. I’ll lay it out here, I probably wash my car twice a year… :run:

:rofl2: :rofl:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19332 on: June 07, 2024, 10:39:27 am »
Ye old faithful Trundra gave me some trouble this past week. The starter wouldn’t turn on several occasions. After trying several times it would eventually go but I couldn’t diagnose it because it would always start when I went to diagnose. I ended up cleaning battery and chassis ground connections really well, and clean the fuse/relay box under the hood which was filthy with dust. I pulled the starter relay and had a look at it and put it back in. Since then the truck has started every time. I thought the starter was shot but maybe not. I’ve watched a few vids and it is a :censor: to change. I’ll drive the truck to work this week and see if it acts up again. I’m guessing I’m not out of the weeds because the connections I cleaned were pretty good to begin with but who knows. Intermittent electrical problems are a pain.

I did grab a spare relay from parts store so if it happens to strand me I can at least try swapping relays. Funny, local dealer wanted $170 for the relay and $1050 for the starter. If I end up doing the starter I found a shop that will rebuild with a 24hr turnaround.

Well six months later and the starter is acting up again.  It is strange, as it never acted up at all until last week after having an issue with it back in December.  Anyway, it is making a loud click when not starting where the starter is located, therefore telling me the solenoid is engaging, which likely means everything is working as it should up to the starter.  I called around this morning, and Toyota wants $1700+tax to replace, and and a local indy wants $1650 with a non Toyota starter.  Toyota calls for 7.5hrs labour, while the indy is calling for 10 hours.  A mechanic buddy said he's not about to let me pay for that much labour so he ordered the starter from Toyota through his place of work for $500 and he's going to install it when it arrives.  Puts me without a truck for a week or so as the starter is 3-5 days away, but I can make do and work from home for the next while. 

My initial quote from Toyota for the starter back in December was $1100.  When I called them this morning for a quote it was $580.  Not sure where the original number came from.  Almost like they gouge on price if you don't get the work done there.  Or somebody just effed up.

Job is done, truck back on the road.  I left town for two nights for work and buddy grabbed the truck while I was gone and put the starter in (it arrived in two days).  Nice little surprise.  He said he spent 6.5hrs on the job and if he had to do it again could get it under 5.  This is in his garage without a lift.  He had two difficulties; bolt heads for the starter heat shield were corroded to the point he couldn't get a good grip on them so he welded nuts to them for removal.  The other issue was figuring out the best way to remove the starter from the tight space once it was unbolted.  There's various methods on Youtube videos but it depends on the year of the truck and configuration.  He ended up pulling the front axle part way out.  He said there was no difficulty there.  Again, Toyota recommends pulling the exhaust manifold but he said removing an axle is much easier.  He commented on how good of shape the truck is underneath, minus the heat shield bolts. 

He's a good friend, I gave him $500 for helping me out. He was reluctant to take it but I didn't give him a choice.  I still came out ahead about $750 versus taking to a shop. 

The new starter is slightly shorter than the old one.  Wonder if they optimized the design for easier removal.  Hopefully I never need to find out.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 10:42:01 am by bridgecity »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #19333 on: June 07, 2024, 11:48:57 am »

Job is done, truck back on the road.  I left town for two nights for work and buddy grabbed the truck while I was gone and put the starter in (it arrived in two days).  Nice little surprise.  He said he spent 6.5hrs on the job and if he had to do it again could get it under 5.  This is in his garage without a lift.  He had two difficulties; bolt heads for the starter heat shield were corroded to the point he couldn't get a good grip on them so he welded nuts to them for removal.  The other issue was figuring out the best way to remove the starter from the tight space once it was unbolted.  There's various methods on Youtube videos but it depends on the year of the truck and configuration.  He ended up pulling the front axle part way out.  He said there was no difficulty there.  Again, Toyota recommends pulling the exhaust manifold but he said removing an axle is much easier.  He commented on how good of shape the truck is underneath, minus the heat shield bolts. 

He's a good friend, I gave him $500 for helping me out. He was reluctant to take it but I didn't give him a choice.  I still came out ahead about $750 versus taking to a shop. 

The new starter is slightly shorter than the old one.  Wonder if they optimized the design for easier removal.  Hopefully I never need to find out.
That's fantastic! Great outcome & a good friend to have.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19334 on: June 07, 2024, 12:24:46 pm »

The ones in my Lexus were under the intake!

Glad you did alright!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #19335 on: June 07, 2024, 05:52:41 pm »
Sounds like a rough job for a starter, but a really good friend! Hopefully the new one lasts the rest of the truck's life.

I washed the DTS and the Trans Am last night, finished just before it got dark. Probably been a good 18 months or so since the Trans Am had a proper wash; I'd washed the wheels a couple times and wiped the bugs off the front bumper, but that's it, so it was long overdue.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #19336 on: June 07, 2024, 06:07:11 pm »
Nice! Both look great. Caddy looks like the president is about to step out of it

You need one of those curly ear mikes

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #19337 on: June 07, 2024, 06:23:22 pm »
Nice! Both look great. Caddy looks like the president is about to step out of it

You need one of those curly ear mikes

I'm just picturing it driving into the curbside lane at Pearson with a "ZAHAVY LIMOUSINE" sticker on the back window
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #19338 on: June 07, 2024, 06:51:40 pm »

That's fantastic! Great outcome & a good friend to have.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

+1
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #19339 on: June 07, 2024, 06:53:16 pm »

I washed the DTS and the Trans Am last night, finished just before it got dark. Probably been a good 18 months or so since the Trans Am had a proper wash; I'd washed the wheels a couple times and wiped the bugs off the front bumper, but that's it, so it was long overdue.

Definitely worth the effort.  They look great.