Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3096936 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #19100 on: April 04, 2024, 11:16:33 am »
I ordered a serp belt and tensioner kit from Rockauto for the kids Civic.  Was hoping to install this weekend with his help.  He called today and asked if he could tackle it himself.  He's at home this week off school for Easter Break and a bit bored.  I said sure.  He sent me a text three hours later with the belt, idler pulley, and tensioner replaced.  Proud of that kid, makes me smile.  He had to pull the alternator and water pump pulley to get access also.  Not a huge job, but something most high school kids wouldn't do. 

Car is running smooth, with no more belt chirp at startup and when you blip the throttle.

A little late with this but in my experience aftermarket tensioners on Honda's don't last. On a beater with limited lifetime it may not matter but I have learned my lesson not wanting to do the job every two years.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #19101 on: April 04, 2024, 11:27:21 am »
I ordered a serp belt and tensioner kit from Rockauto for the kids Civic.  Was hoping to install this weekend with his help.  He called today and asked if he could tackle it himself.  He's at home this week off school for Easter Break and a bit bored.  I said sure.  He sent me a text three hours later with the belt, idler pulley, and tensioner replaced.  Proud of that kid, makes me smile.  He had to pull the alternator and water pump pulley to get access also.  Not a huge job, but something most high school kids wouldn't do. 

Car is running smooth, with no more belt chirp at startup and when you blip the throttle.

A little late with this but in my experience aftermarket tensioners on Honda's don't last. On a beater with limited lifetime it may not matter but I have learned my lesson not wanting to do the job every two years.

Thanks for the input, I guess we'll see.  This car would qualify as a beater in some eyes (although its in damn good shape) as it has 250k. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 12:27:41 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19102 on: April 04, 2024, 11:58:16 am »
Well if the tensioner gets noisy he can do it again. He will be an expert!   ;D I just got tired of trying to discern what parts were OK quality so if I can get a discount I go OE.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19103 on: April 06, 2024, 03:25:05 pm »
Swapped the winters to summers on the truck this morning. Pulled slider pins on the rear brakes and cleaned and greased them. Front brakes use a hole pin, slightly different setup, didn’t bother pulling those, they looked pretty clean and no sign of uneven wear. Have new wheels and tires on order so I didn’t really want to put the old summers on but also didn’t want to run the winters for another few weeks while I wait.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1229
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #19104 on: April 06, 2024, 05:12:45 pm »
Swapped the winters to summer on the Mach-E. Car underside looks pretty clean for a car than run trough 3 Quebec winters, we’re the world champs of salt usage on the roads. Brakes looked nice and pads had plenty of life left. 62,284km.

The Nokian’s will be good for a 4th winter.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19105 on: April 07, 2024, 02:51:19 pm »
Swapping all the cars tires over.

Volvo:  Easy peasey outside of their security bolt heads and the bolt lug design. Fortunately hub centric so not bad.

Land Rover: In conjunction with a brake service. No issues

Ridgeline: You know when you swap your summers on and the ride gets loud it's time for new rubber. Despite having 5/32 they were also getting floaty on standing water at speed. I got 80k kms out of them so that's ok, I tend not to ride my rubber down to nothing. Michelin quit making my go to tire (Defender LTX M/S)  in Ridgeline size of 245/60-18  so off to try Goodyear Steadfast HTs. Generally not a Goodyear fan although these look compelling and get good reviews, old guy needs to keep an open mind. Considered Hercules for the smooth no bump ride but again couldn't find my size. ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #19106 on: April 07, 2024, 03:19:36 pm »
Considered Hercules for the smooth no bump ride but again couldn't find my size. ;D

And no one seems to know the proper air pressure!   :rofl2:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19107 on: April 07, 2024, 03:21:50 pm »
That’s a lot of tire swapping in one day ktm.

Did the MDX today. Pulled all the caliper pins and cleaned and greased them. Bottom pin on passenger rear was seized. Took some channel locks and a hammer,big punch to convince it out. Pads are original with a ton of life left at 135k. They’ll last to over 200k I’m sure.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #19108 on: April 07, 2024, 04:08:39 pm »

You know when you swap your summers on and the ride gets loud it's time for new rubber. Despite having 5/32 they were also getting floaty on standing water at speed.

This was me swapping over the Highlanders tires.  I can probably eke out another summer but I think I'm going to start looking.  They were the Michelin Premier LTX.  Great tire but it wore quickly.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #19109 on: April 07, 2024, 06:22:01 pm »
Considered Hercules for the smooth no bump ride but again couldn't find my size. ;D

And no one seems to know the proper air pressure!   :rofl2:

Not enough tire shops to call in AB to get a definitive number  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19110 on: April 07, 2024, 06:28:50 pm »

Did the MDX today. Pulled all the caliper pins and cleaned and greased them. Bottom pin on passenger rear was seized. Took some channel locks and a hammer,big punch to convince it out. Pads are original with a ton of life left at 135k. They’ll last to over 200k I’m sure.

Seized pins suck. The Land Rover pins with the bushings were almost guaranteed to stick. Ceramic , synthetic lubes, didn't matter. Then someone recommended sil gyde which is silicone based. No more sticking and they were fine even when I missed doing the pins for a year.

Last pin before I tried sil glyde.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 06:31:30 pm by ktm525 »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #19111 on: April 07, 2024, 07:09:16 pm »
Pulled the Jag out of storage. Put the battery back in and it started right up. Drove it home then renewed the registration. Probably should have done that first, haha. Gave it a quick wash as well. Happy to have it back in the driveway.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19112 on: April 07, 2024, 07:13:23 pm »
Pulled the Jag out of storage. Put the battery back in and it started right up. Drove it home then renewed the registration. Probably should have done that first, haha. Gave it a quick wash as well. Happy to have it back in the driveway.

I think you were right to see if it ran before paying registration.  ;)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #19113 on: April 07, 2024, 09:15:32 pm »

You know when you swap your summers on and the ride gets loud it's time for new rubber. Despite having 5/32 they were also getting floaty on standing water at speed.

This was me swapping over the Highlanders tires.  I can probably eke out another summer but I think I'm going to start looking.  They were the Michelin Premier LTX.  Great tire but it wore quickly.
I did the ones on the Passport this afternoon when we got back from Tremblant. The winters have another season left on them & I'm guessing the summers will have another season left in them as well. So I'm thinking next spring new summers & then next fall new winters.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #19114 on: April 08, 2024, 08:04:23 am »
Swapped wheels on the CX-30 Saturday and CX-90 on Sunday. My daughter's vision for her CX-30 now comes to light with the new black alloys putting the final piece after the chrome delete job last year - it looks pretty sharp. The CX-90 loses a lot of "Butchness" with the oem wheel though. Both Mazdas have self-learning TPMS so not even one temp idiot light showed up. Subaru has none of that crap.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19115 on: April 08, 2024, 09:22:00 am »

Seized pins suck. The Land Rover pins with the bushings were almost guaranteed to stick. Ceramic , synthetic lubes, didn't matter. Then someone recommended sil gyde which is silicone based. No more sticking and they were fine even when I missed doing the pins for a year.

Thanks for the recommendation ktm. Interesting the MDX has a rubber bushing on one pin in each caliper. I’ll have to do some reading to see what the purpose is.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #19116 on: April 08, 2024, 09:33:37 am »

Thanks for the recommendation ktm. Interesting the MDX has a rubber bushing on one pin in each caliper. I’ll have to do some reading to see what the purpose is.
I've used the Permatex version before...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19117 on: April 08, 2024, 10:21:02 am »

All the bushings I have seen have been on the bottom pin (leading). I assumed it was for noise isolation (chatter). Anyhow many common brake lubricants would swell the rubber and the pin would stick like a mofo. Was it the bushing pin that stuck? If so it's the lube. I went through many lubes/ pins before I figured it out.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19118 on: April 08, 2024, 10:38:42 am »

All the bushings I have seen have been on the bottom pin (leading). I assumed it was for noise isolation (chatter). Anyhow many common brake lubricants would swell the rubber and the pin would stick like a mofo. Was it the bushing pin that stuck? If so it's the lube. I went through many lubes/ pins before I figured it out.

Yes, the leading pin with the bushing was stuck. I don’t remember that last time I pulled these so it’s on me. Vehicle was dealer serviced for first five years and I caught them once for charging me for a brake service and not pulling/lubing pins. I’m guessing the dealer never did them.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19119 on: April 08, 2024, 10:39:44 am »
Ron, the permatex is what I’m using now.