Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043590 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18840 on: January 20, 2024, 07:41:43 pm »
That's a site to see! Prius towing a boat! :winner:

In January no less!

Love it.

This makes me want to put a hitch on the TDI for towing our aluminum boat.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 08:00:37 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18841 on: January 20, 2024, 07:51:15 pm »
Not a combination you see every day!

Looks like the tongue weight pushes the rear down a bit, but I guess on pavement you should be fine
Cool! How does it feel towing?
Ok. Here's all of the particulars.

PJ: Yes, it pushes the back down because my ball mount isn't correct. Which is by fault. Because I'm an idiot. I absolutely KNOW to measure the receiver in the car and coupler to the trailer to get the correct rise or drop. And it just slipped my mind. So it's 3.25" too low. Quite shockingly, I need a neutral ball mount. Both measurements identical. Am ordering correct one tomorrow.

Firm: it feels..adequate but certainly isn't ideal on the 401. It's perfect on 80km/h roads, however.

On the 401, there are frequent elevations, mainly overpass sections. So the car works more going up. I never floor the Prius in my daily driving (why bother? ) so the RPMs sounded like they were screaming to my ears!! So I hooked up my reader and did some datalogging. The max RPM experienced while towing at 110km/h with cruise was 4096 RPM. The steady state, level cruise was about 3000 RPM. My economy was 8.8L/100 km or 27 MPG. Probably worst case scenario. Cold -15. and the radar wing so high on the boat.

On 80km/h roads, it's much more relaxed. Very good I'd say. Economy reflects this at 6.2L/100km or 38 MPG.

In either situation, I don't think the trailer rides particularly smoothly.  But it's a tiny trailer, so that's to be expected. Components of trailer are quality. Though I don't trust the un-serviceable, sealed, completely waterproof lifetime bearings...even though they are highly regarded. Maybe I'm just old and always thought packing bearing was part and parcel of trailer ownership.

So yea, all is well. I don't think I'm saying anything we don't already know. The Prius Prime isn't a highway tow vehicle. But in a pinch? No problem. I didn't hold up traffic, this didn't feel dangerous, etc This just isn't the Prius' game. That being said, I'd not hesitate to take the boat on a road trip with the Prius.

Now on the county roads where I'll be towing, it's good! And I'll be towing in EV mode too.

So far, no need for a dedicated tow vehicle!!

Interesting, sounds like it'll do fine. Did you ever think about using the Audi?

No single axle trailer is going to ride well, but I bet that rides better once you have the proper height ball mount.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18842 on: January 20, 2024, 08:05:43 pm »
Not a combination you see every day!

Looks like the tongue weight pushes the rear down a bit, but I guess on pavement you should be fine
Cool! How does it feel towing?
Ok. Here's all of the particulars.

PJ: Yes, it pushes the back down because my ball mount isn't correct. Which is by fault. Because I'm an idiot. I absolutely KNOW to measure the receiver in the car and coupler to the trailer to get the correct rise or drop. And it just slipped my mind. So it's 3.25" too low. Quite shockingly, I need a neutral ball mount. Both measurements identical. Am ordering correct one tomorrow.

Firm: it feels..adequate but certainly isn't ideal on the 401. It's perfect on 80km/h roads, however.

On the 401, there are frequent elevations, mainly overpass sections. So the car works more going up. I never floor the Prius in my daily driving (why bother? ) so the RPMs sounded like they were screaming to my ears!! So I hooked up my reader and did some datalogging. The max RPM experienced while towing at 110km/h with cruise was 4096 RPM. The steady state, level cruise was about 3000 RPM. My economy was 8.8L/100 km or 27 MPG. Probably worst case scenario. Cold -15. and the radar wing so high on the boat.

On 80km/h roads, it's much more relaxed. Very good I'd say. Economy reflects this at 6.2L/100km or 38 MPG.

In either situation, I don't think the trailer rides particularly smoothly.  But it's a tiny trailer, so that's to be expected. Components of trailer are quality. Though I don't trust the un-serviceable, sealed, completely waterproof lifetime bearings...even though they are highly regarded. Maybe I'm just old and always thought packing bearing was part and parcel of trailer ownership.

So yea, all is well. I don't think I'm saying anything we don't already know. The Prius Prime isn't a highway tow vehicle. But in a pinch? No problem. I didn't hold up traffic, this didn't feel dangerous, etc This just isn't the Prius' game. That being said, I'd not hesitate to take the boat on a road trip with the Prius.

Now on the county roads where I'll be towing, it's good! And I'll be towing in EV mode too.

So far, no need for a dedicated tow vehicle!!

Interesting, sounds like it'll do fine. Did you ever think about using the Audi?

No single axle trailer is going to ride well, but I bet that rides better once you have the proper height ball mount.
LOL [emoji38] The Audi? That's a hard no.

Yes, I think ride will improve with the right ball mount

Oh yea! I forgot this story! When my hitch was being installed I asked the installer what the absolute worst, most dogshit car to install a hitch on. He didn't even think a second: Jaguar F-Pace. 5 hour job! Bumper off, both wheels and liners off, bumper bar off, etc etc Said it's the worst! LOL [emoji38]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 11:02:48 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18843 on: January 21, 2024, 10:32:44 am »
I would think any unibody vehicle would be tough with no frame to tie back into.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18844 on: January 21, 2024, 10:52:44 am »
I would think any unibody vehicle would be tough with no frame to tie back into.
Some are far worse than others...which is why I asked.

I asked him if mine was hard. He said "No". 2 hours tops, doing it alone. Biggest worry? He said on days like today (was -15 out) the plastic bumper clips can be brittle so he either has to be extra careful or he let's the car "thaw out" a bit in the shop before he gets to work.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18845 on: January 21, 2024, 11:04:30 am »
Modern vehicles tend to have much more  underbody smoothing panels. I would assume cheaper cars have less and some don't even have wheel liners though these are mostly trucks/vans. If I had something new and fancy I would have it installed on delivery or through dealer. Too much fancy stuff going on now day (radar parking sensors, rearview cameras, expensive one piece bumpers.). This is not the realm of a uhaul hitch installer. Much the same way as adding aftermarket remote starters. On the older crap I drive? No problem having Joe on the corner having a crack.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18846 on: January 21, 2024, 11:08:05 am »

I installed a hitch on a Matrix/Vibe in about 15 minutes.  Put the bolts in the holes, tighten, done.   
Outback probably takes 1/2 an hour, have to put nuts on some bolts.   
Cayenne, remove bumper cover, replace bumper bar with hitch, reinstall bumper cover.
Mr Pickypants

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18847 on: January 21, 2024, 12:44:22 pm »
Crosstrek was pretty simple as well. Hitch just bolted on from the bottom, no need to remove anything.

But I did need to enlarge a couple holes to get the bolt retainers to fit through. Taking the grinder to a new car is always fun.   :P

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18848 on: January 21, 2024, 12:50:37 pm »
If there is holes for the bolts that is great. When the Uhaul guy breaks out the drill: worry.  ;D  I think the proliferation of bike racks etc has made most manufacturers to pre plan lifestyle hitch installs.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18849 on: January 21, 2024, 03:28:44 pm »
If there is holes for the bolts that is great. When the Uhaul guy breaks out the drill: worry.  ;D  I think the proliferation of bike racks etc has made most manufacturers to pre plan lifestyle hitch installs.
Definitely not the case as I see it.

Most of these get installed between the bumper bar and the chassis.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #18850 on: January 21, 2024, 08:17:17 pm »
^^That was the case with my car as well when i installed the hitch. Hardest part was figuring out how to get the bumper cover off. Lots of Youtube for that by the hitch manufacturers. I did the install because if anything was going to be broken or scratched it was by me. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #18851 on: January 22, 2024, 11:29:12 am »
Going to put the LS 460 into long term storage until at least next November sometime this week. My folks are going overseas for a while so I'm stealing my dad's '23 S 580... and by the time he's back, crappy weather will be gone so I can just daily the LC when I'm not in a toy.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18852 on: January 22, 2024, 11:38:30 am »

So you are saying most new vehicles rated to tow don't have pre drilled holes?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18853 on: January 22, 2024, 12:09:02 pm »
Crosstrek is like that as well: the OE hitch from Subaru is mounted to the bumper beam, behind the bumper cover. No need to drill holes, you just use the existing mounting points with longer bolts.

Most aftermarket hitches like mine install from the bottom.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18854 on: January 22, 2024, 03:41:41 pm »

So you are saying most new vehicles rated to tow don't have pre drilled holes?
Not on a unibody, no.

Most of them use an existing holes. And most of them I've seen sandwich between the bumper beam.

Different story with frame vehicles IMO

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18855 on: January 26, 2024, 02:46:22 pm »
Stretching the legs on the GTI with a weekend run to Montreal.
Stopped for a coffee break to let a cop in an unmarked Charger go.... :popo:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18856 on: January 28, 2024, 09:17:01 pm »
Gave the DTS a good bath after a solid week of commuting in the rain. Then pulled the Sonoma out to re-organize in the garage to accommodate an extra freezer, followed by a nice backroad cruise.

This goes back a few weeks, but I ditched the faded Tennessee Vols flag in favor of a standard issue American flag that was gifted to me at Christmas....Got sick of people asking me opinions on how the Vols were playing.  ::)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #18857 on: February 03, 2024, 08:39:01 pm »
Thursday night noticed some leaking under the Escalade an quickly found a cracked radiator tank. Friday I grabbed a new radiator, thermostat and a couple jugs of coolant for $275 and this morning I swapped in the new parts...Pretty easy job, good access, simple engineering. Took about 2 hours total time, but I was working at a leisurely pace and cleaned everything as I reinstalled like the electric fans and air intake tubing. Did an oil change in it too as it was due.

Grateful that I had a good day to do it too...hit 22C as I worked in a t-shirt in February, still feels so weird to me.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 08:44:00 pm by Firm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18858 on: February 03, 2024, 11:49:13 pm »
Cracked from impact or?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #18859 on: February 04, 2024, 01:14:07 am »
Nah, no impact. Those plastic tanks, at least the GM ones crack like that  from age / heat cycles. My Sonoma, Trans Am and Camaro have all done the exact same thing. Surprised this one made it this far.