Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043384 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18760 on: January 11, 2024, 12:20:22 am »

You stole your own cat?
Pipe fell off at the mid-pipe while driving home.

Not sure what rusted out yet.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18761 on: January 11, 2024, 12:35:32 am »

You stole your own cat?

Strange. Usually those things give you a hint first, by getting louder or rattly.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18762 on: January 11, 2024, 02:33:35 am »

You stole your own cat?

Strange. Usually those things give you a hint first, by getting louder or rattly.
Oh it was a teeny bit loud..like a small hiss.

But nowhere that would make you think failure is imminent.

Blipped the throttle, downshifted for a corner, then got back on it...and boom.

Open exhaust!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18763 on: January 11, 2024, 05:13:34 am »

You stole your own cat?

Open exhaust!

Remind me. How old is the Audi?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18764 on: January 11, 2024, 06:08:40 am »
Think I might finally have to put the winter mats in.... :P

:rofl2:  You’ve been fighting that one eh?

False alarm!  Heavy rain and +8 temps got rid of most of the snow. I wasn't out yesterday and now we are back to bare roads and parking lots......carpet mats still in  ;D

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18765 on: January 11, 2024, 06:52:11 am »

You stole your own cat?

Looks like a fairly clean cut. Maybe it was fixed/welded before, the weld rusted out all around and then separated.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18766 on: January 11, 2024, 07:41:24 am »

You stole your own cat?

Looks like a fairly clean cut. Maybe it was fixed/welded before, the weld rusted out all around and then separated.
I'm sorta thinking same

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18767 on: January 11, 2024, 07:41:46 am »

You stole your own cat?

Open exhaust!

Remind me. How old is the Audi?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #18768 on: January 11, 2024, 08:17:10 am »
Audi sounds a bit rowdy today!

My GTI did the same thing. Knew a guy in the country that worked for cash and had him put on a new piece (sleeve?) and all was like new again. I twas the only piece in my exhaust that broke.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18769 on: January 11, 2024, 10:22:47 am »

My GTI did the same thing. Knew a guy in the country that worked for cash and had him put on a new piece (sleeve?) and all was like new again. I twas the only piece in my exhaust that broke.
That's my plan!!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18770 on: January 11, 2024, 11:33:05 am »

That's my plan!!

I guess the shop needs to determine if the remaining pipe is healthy enough to allow welding.
If it's a straight section you may try to tape it up and throw a 3-4" clamp over the joint !?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18771 on: January 11, 2024, 11:47:19 am »

That's my plan!!

I guess the shop needs to determine if the remaining pipe is healthy enough to allow welding.
If it's a straight section you may try to tape it up and throw a 3-4" clamp over the joint !?
Gotta get my butt under and have a look.

But it's snowing

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18772 on: January 11, 2024, 05:24:28 pm »

You stole your own cat?

Open exhaust!

On my way to work one day in an Audi 90, took the off-ramp with some zeal, halfway through car got really loud.   Continued on to work as nothing was dragging, it was only a couple more km, got there and looked under and my cat converter was gone.   Went back to the off-ramp and looked but couldn't find it.
Mr Pickypants

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18773 on: January 11, 2024, 06:01:25 pm »
Hit a retreaded tire carcass with one of my cars once on the highway at night. Broke off the exhaust completely just back of the manifold

Had a couple hours to cover before home, chewed up some paper and plugged my ears to make it without deafening myself. Any throttle was unbelievable

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18774 on: January 13, 2024, 03:43:54 pm »
I had the Corolla washed at the full service "The Chamois".  It should stay clean for at least a week in this cold weather.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18775 on: January 14, 2024, 01:45:46 pm »
So, I’m more than a little pissed to discover the Crosstrek’s block heater isn’t working. Thought I just hadn’t plugged it in properly, but nope. Open circuit when tested with a multi meter, so seems the thing is dead.  >:(

Minus 32 when I started it on Friday. Minus 25 when I started it yesterday. It was painful to listen to each time, but it did start.

Don’t want to make a trip to the dealer, and also don’t want to investigate further in my driveway at minus 25.  ::)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18776 on: January 14, 2024, 01:52:28 pm »
So, I’m more than a little pissed to discover the Crosstrek’s block heater isn’t working. Thought I just hadn’t plugged it in properly, but nope. Open circuit when tested with a multi meter, so seems the thing is dead.  >:(

Minus 32 when I started it on Friday. Minus 25 when I started it yesterday. It was painful to listen to each time, but it did start.

Don’t want to make a trip to the dealer, and also don’t want to investigate further in my driveway at minus 25.  ::)

A block heater is something you don't want to be without.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18777 on: January 14, 2024, 01:59:10 pm »

A block heater is something you don't want to be without.

Yeah, I’m not happy.

I did take another quick look just now, but you can’t see anything from the top side. Would have to pull off the plastic undertray and look from the bottom.

I guess I’ll call the dealer tomorrow and make an appointment. It’ll probably be two weeks before they get me in, and by then it will probably be plus 5 again.   ::)

I just looked at their online service scheduler: first available appointment is January 30.  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 02:16:15 pm by HeliDriver »

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18778 on: January 14, 2024, 02:18:22 pm »
That sucks, I'm sure it's buried under there somewhere, but this isn't the weather to go digging

The last time things got super cold here a few years ago we discovered the block heater on our old CRV wasn't working. Turned out it was just unplugged on the block, but you needed to take the wheel off and dig around to find it. In the meantime the cold oil pushed past the oil filter and blew out that seal, leaving a big puddle on the garage floor

The same cold spell my Vibe wouldn't start in a parking lot after coming out of a class in the evening, discovered that gas lines can still freeze despite the ethanol in them now. Of course AMA wait times were about 5 days when it's cold like that so for a few days we had both vehicles down.
Every fall now I add a little isopropyl alcohol to the tank preemptively, get it from the drugstore as the vehicle type gas line antifreezes often say ethanol on them

Q Isn't using a gas line antifreeze these days ridiculous? All our "oxygenated" gasolines are at least 10 percent alcohol already.
What possible good would adding an additional 12 ounces of alcohol do? I think all the manufacturers and dealers of these products should be exposed for cheating motorists out of good money for a product with no value.

A Ah, don't you just love a good conspiracy? You have a point that drivers today have little need for gas-line antifreeze additives, but I don't agree that these additives have "no value."
Technically, there is a significant difference between the alcohol in gas line antifreeze/de-icer and the alcohol in our gasoline.
Most fuel line additives are based on isopropyl alcohol -- stay away from any methanol-based de-icers, they can corrode fuel system components -- while our gasoline contains ethyl alcohol.
Isopropyl alcohol will combine with water and remix any phase-separated water/ethanol to accomplish two things: First, it will prevent water from freezing anywhere in the fuel system; and second, it will carry the "mix" through the system into the engine to burn. This prevents the moisture and alcohol from sitting in the bottom of the fuel tank waiting to leave you stranded by the side of the road.
You are correct that the ethanol in our fuel will mix with water and thus function as a gas line de-icer, but any significant percentage of moisture in the gasoline can cause phase separation because the ethanol would rather bond with water than with gas. I see some benefit in adding a single small bottle of isopropyl at the beginning of the cold weather to carry any existing moisture through the system, but continuously adding these products with each tank of fuel can result in too much total alcohol in the gasoline.
http://www.startribune.com/fuel-line-antifreeze-not-all-hype/36707014/

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18779 on: January 14, 2024, 02:59:10 pm »
^^ interesting, thanks.