Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043082 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18680 on: December 17, 2023, 02:55:28 pm »
Bars Leak the h*ll out of it.  Turn the heat off and better still if you can pinch off the supply line to the heater core do that.  Good chance it may work.

Beyond me why people still by new GM V8s if the plan is to keep them.  But to be fair, Ford's went to CD in 2021 with the 5.0.  They finally got the 5.0 working well with port and DI and now this.  Ford customers beta test Ford engines for about 10 years it seems before fixing completely.

Imagine purchasing a new Mustang GT and then finding out it has CD in order to save an ounce of gasoline per day.   

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18681 on: December 17, 2023, 03:08:59 pm »
So age is catching up with the Yukon, did the rear brakes a couple of weeks ago, normal wear item so no biggie, but then the radiator developed a leak last week. This will be the second radiator change ~$1.5K, the original went kaput sometime in 2018 after it was out of warranty and now the replacement has also gone bust. But the biggie is that there is a very very initial tick which lasts for a few minutes on A cold start up first thing in the morning and then goes away, it's the AFM lifters. According to the tech they may stay as they are for many tens of thousands of kilometers or could deteriorate, ~$6K plus tax to change all 16 on both banks of cylinders. Ouch!! I don't want to take that risk.

So I went and booked a plain jane non hybrid Grand Highlander which should come in sometime in January. Hybrids are unobtanium and I am not a fan of the cvt, and the top of the line hybrid max is over the top besides is also not readily available. The XLE comes with the 2.4 liter turbo 4 mated to an 8 speed Aisin auto.

I debated whether to go in for another GM SUV but the new generation have their own issues and nobody is certain whether the AFM lifter issue has been resolved....it tends to show up anytime after 60K-80K kilometers

How many kilometers on the Yukon?

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18682 on: December 17, 2023, 03:26:14 pm »
Bars Leak the h*ll out of it.  Turn the heat off and better still if you can pinch off the supply line to the heater core do that.  Good chance it may work.

Beyond me why people still by new GM V8s if the plan is to keep them.  But to be fair, Ford's went to CD in 2021 with the 5.0.  They finally got the 5.0 working well with port and DI and now this.  Ford customers beta test Ford engines for about 10 years it seems before fixing completely.

Imagine purchasing a new Mustang GT and then finding out it has CD in order to save an ounce of gasoline per day.   

I read that the 6.2s are recently having issues as well requiring total engine replacement. Not sure which would be better V8 gas or I6 diesel. The diesel is probably robust mechanically but then you have all the emissions stuff to contend with long term.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18683 on: December 17, 2023, 04:16:21 pm »
The diesel is probably robust mechanically but then you have all the emissions stuff to contend with long term.

And that wet belt oil pump drive you have to drop the transmission and transfer case to change. It might be totally fine, but wet belts have a very mixed record so far. And GM isn't exactly known for nailing the long term reliability of new ideas:

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18684 on: December 17, 2023, 04:27:51 pm »
The diesel is probably robust mechanically but then you have all the emissions stuff to contend with long term.

And that wet belt oil pump drive you have to drop the transmission and transfer case to change. It might be totally fine, but wet belts have a very mixed record so far. And GM isn't exactly known for nailing the long term reliability of new ideas:

That piece is a bit odd for sure.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18685 on: December 17, 2023, 04:38:27 pm »
Looks like a toilet tank float.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #18686 on: December 17, 2023, 04:44:33 pm »
So age is catching up with the Yukon, did the rear brakes a couple of weeks ago, normal wear item so no biggie, but then the radiator developed a leak last week. This will be the second radiator change ~$1.5K, the original went kaput sometime in 2018 after it was out of warranty and now the replacement has also gone bust. But the biggie is that there is a very very initial tick which lasts for a few minutes on A cold start up first thing in the morning and then goes away, it's the AFM lifters. According to the tech they may stay as they are for many tens of thousands of kilometers or could deteriorate, ~$6K plus tax to change all 16 on both banks of cylinders. Ouch!! I don't want to take that risk.

So I went and booked a plain jane non hybrid Grand Highlander which should come in sometime in January. Hybrids are unobtanium and I am not a fan of the cvt, and the top of the line hybrid max is over the top besides is also not readily available. The XLE comes with the 2.4 liter turbo 4 mated to an 8 speed Aisin auto.

I debated whether to go in for another GM SUV but the new generation have their own issues and nobody is certain whether the AFM lifter issue has been resolved....it tends to show up anytime after 60K-80K kilometers

195K. Far too many to invest the kind of $ needed to keep it going given that it will soon be 10 years since it rolled off the assembly line. There is another issue; if the lifters are not attended to early on, the camshafts can also get damaged and replacing the camshafts means another ~$3K or so. In my case it appears to be early enough but that question can only be answered definitively once you open up the engine. There is also a school of technician thought that says that if you do not change the camshafts regardless of when the ticking started, that you will face problems soon after if you just change the lifters. Far too many imponderables to consider keeping it. Also, this transitory ticking has been on for the last 3 months or so, once the morning warm up is done it disappears and does not come back for the rest of the day.  I thought it was lubrication on the serpentine pulley or the water pump, it really has not become worse, so who knows, may the tech is correct that it could stay at this imperceptible level for tens of thousands of kilometers more.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 04:52:40 pm by warp »

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #18687 on: December 17, 2023, 04:48:01 pm »

As i said in my earlier post, my understanding is that the 2007 gen is generally OK even with mild AFM. The Firm's 2007 Escalade appears unscathed. This became a real issue with the gen that I bought. Anyway, time for a change, a total change of pace in the Grand Highlander.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18688 on: December 17, 2023, 05:51:47 pm »

And GM isn't exactly known for nailing the long term reliability of new ideas:

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18689 on: December 17, 2023, 06:22:22 pm »

Dropping the tranny on these truck like platforms is easier and less time consuming that changing a starter on a Toyota V8.  The wild card with this new diesel will be with the emission equipment like mentioned.  Who friggin knows what those costs will be long term.  40 cents a litre more for diesel fuel than 87 = bad.   ACTUAL mpg on a 6.2 = horrendous.  AFM a disaster.  Pick your poison.  :P

Base diesel Escalade is only $120K tax in in Ontario with luxury tax included!.  So much better for you Albertans  :D   

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18690 on: December 17, 2023, 06:47:10 pm »
Honda has been using variable cylinder management for a while now. Earlier generations were problematic, but I have not read too many concerns/issues with Honda/Acura models post 2015 or so. In any event, you can easily disable it with a module for under $150 if you like.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18691 on: December 17, 2023, 07:05:57 pm »
but I have not read too many concerns/issues with Honda/Acura models post 2015 or so.

That was actually the torque converters on Honda/Acura transmissions.  Real junk.

In any event, you can easily disable it with a module for under $150 if you like.

Link for a 2022 MDX?  Just curious.  I would never consider it on a Honda under warranty, but this module might explain how the system works.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18692 on: December 17, 2023, 07:10:51 pm »
but I have not read too many concerns/issues with Honda/Acura models post 2015 or so.

That was actually the torque converters on Honda/Acura transmissions.  Real junk.

In any event, you can easily disable it with a module for under $150 if you like.

Link for a 2022 MDX?  Just curious.  I would never consider it on a Honda under warranty, but this module might explain how the system works.

https://www.svcmcontroller.com

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18693 on: December 17, 2023, 08:00:20 pm »

As i said in my earlier post, my understanding is that the 2007 gen is generally OK even with mild AFM. The Firm's 2007 Escalade appears unscathed. This became a real issue with the gen that I bought. Anyway, time for a change, a total change of pace in the Grand Highlander.

2007 was the first year of the GMT900. Firm’s is a GMT800, so must be pre-2007. Pretty sure he’s got the 6.0, which doesn’t have AFM.

I had a 2007 Suburban with the 5.3, and yup, lifters blew up at around 120,000 km. Thankfully, fixed under warranty.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18694 on: December 17, 2023, 09:45:10 pm »
That sucks, big time! Ridiculous that GM ruined this things with the silly AFM...I am seeing lots of 2015ish units with miles on them for sale around here for around $15K (USD), kinda tempting, but then not really.
Mine is a 2006, last year of the GMT800, and last year of the 6.0L in the SUVs...The 3/4 ton trucks kept the 6.0L up until 2019ish, so clearly GM knew the durability of the AFM motors was questionable if they elected to keep the older motor in their HD stuff.

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18695 on: December 17, 2023, 10:09:28 pm »
They actually kept the 6.0L in the SUVs up to 2013 - but only in the 2500 models.

Got around 290,000 km on my 2011 so far.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18696 on: December 17, 2023, 10:24:19 pm »
They actually kept the 6.0L in the SUVs up to 2013 - but only in the 2500 models.

Yes, I forgot those existed, not common, but the GMT900 2500 SUVs got the 6.0L. Worth hanging onto the one you have.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #18697 on: December 17, 2023, 10:32:45 pm »
Tire on the Sonoma went flat in the garage last week, finally got around to dealing with it. Turns out it was a massive nail, funny how it even ended up in the tire...I was able to put a plug in it, and then put 50kms or so on it running some errands and it's held up, so hopefully it's fine.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18698 on: December 18, 2023, 01:46:19 am »

195K. Far too many to invest the kind of $ needed to keep it going given that it will soon be 10 years since it rolled off the assembly line. There is another issue; if the lifters are not attended to early on, the camshafts can also get damaged and replacing the camshafts means another ~$3K or so. In my case it appears to be early enough but that question can only be answered definitively once you open up the engine. There is also a school of technician thought that says that if you do not change the camshafts regardless of when the ticking started, that you will face problems soon after if you just change the lifters. Far too many imponderables to consider keeping it. Also, this transitory ticking has been on for the last 3 months or so, once the morning warm up is done it disappears and does not come back for the rest of the day.  I thought it was lubrication on the serpentine pulley or the water pump, it really has not become worse, so who knows, may the tech is correct that it could stay at this imperceptible level for tens of thousands of kilometers more.

That's not that much. It's a sad day when a 5.0L Jaguar/Land Rover engine outlasts a engine design that GM has been building forever. My current 14 year old and 212k  km AJ is purring like a kitten only needing a water pump and a coolant crossover in that time. WTF GM? Actually the old man has a 200k km 6.0L GM unit that he basically ignores for maintenance so I guess it all went to heck in the mid 2000s.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18699 on: December 18, 2023, 01:02:19 pm »

Yes, I forgot those existed, not common, but the GMT900 2500 SUVs got the 6.0L. Worth hanging onto the one you have.

Very stout auto trannys as well.

https://gearstar.com/6l80-vs-6l90-devils-details