Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043213 times)

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18580 on: November 19, 2023, 11:30:22 am »

Yeah the good old days where every oncoming car didn't partially blind you.  ;D

In my experience, the low beam LED has a very defined horizontal cut off line above a certain level to avoid what you described, same as my HID kit on my former 2013 Volt (the blue one :P)
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18581 on: November 19, 2023, 11:32:18 am »

In my experience, the low beam LED has a very defined horizontal cut off line above a certain level to avoid what you described, same as my HID kit on my former 2013 Volt (the blue one :P)

Theoretically on a glass smooth road.  New GM trucks seem to be the worst.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #18582 on: November 19, 2023, 11:33:59 am »
The halogen headlight bulbs on the Yukon had faded a bit over the years specially the low beams in the last 12 months or so and also in contrast to the LED headlights on the Jetta & GTI. These are the OE bulbs and had never been changed, so after some research and a balancing act between accessibility and performance I went in for the Sylvania H11 LEDs ($130+tax) for the low beams, Sylvania 9005s ($130+tax) for the high beams and Sylvania 5202s ($140+tax) for the fog lights, all bought at Canadian Tire. At the same time I discovered that one of the rear license plate lights had failed and so changed those also to LEDs. For me the beam pattern was important as the OE beam pattern was perfect and fortunately the Sylvania's  also retain that perfect beam pattern, both high and low, just that the light is whiter and significantly brighter. These bulbs have a 3 year warranty from Canadian Tire so let's see how durable they are. In my research I discovered that there are supposedly much better and pricier bulbs out there, the GTR Ultra 2.0 has got excellent reviews and a lot of people online swear by them, but they were US 225 for each low and high beam pair from headlightrevolutions and I was not sure whether they would be plug and play like the Sylvanias or whether one would also need an anti-flicker module and the ease/difficulty of installing that. Also in the event they don't work, it's  much simpler to just return to Canadian Tire rather than shipping to the US. 

Also had to change the rear pads and rotors after 90,000 km, the front's are OK for now, the first time I changed the OE pads and rotors was at 100,000 km, so it looks like in my type of driving I am getting about 100,000 km from a set.

SW2 halogen low & high beam headlight bulbs have updated with Gtr Lighting Csp Mini Kit  Conversion LED, 9006 (low) & 9005 (high), bought online dealer from SK, on promotion as they run from time to time...

Funny or bad should I say, how yellow and dull light pattern of the original halogen beam when compare to low/high beam LED!

Actually what I like about the Sylvania LED low beams is that the beam pattern is an exact replica of the OE halogens i.e. very sharp cut off and no bleed so as not to blind oncoming drivers.

In my research I also found that the size and shape of the headlight housing of the new generation GMC Yukon (post 2021) is an exact fit for the prior generation that I have. So it is possible to buy the entire headlight assembly with projector beams, wiring harness etc. from GM parts and the dealer will do the swap for you. But it is very expensive, about $2100 for each assembly plus about $800 for dealer labor. So you are looking at about $5000 + tax for getting current gen factory LEDs!!

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18583 on: November 19, 2023, 11:36:47 am »

Theoretically on a glass smooth road.  New GM trucks seem to be the worst.
Almost all newer pick-up with HID (LED?) are the worst for car driver, the headlight height direct in your eyes line of sight blinding all those not driving CUV/SUV higher seating position...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 11:39:29 am by me_2 »

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18584 on: November 19, 2023, 11:38:03 am »
The halogen headlight bulbs on the Yukon had faded a bit over the years specially the low beams in the last 12 months or so and also in contrast to the LED headlights on the Jetta & GTI. These are the OE bulbs and had never been changed, so after some research and a balancing act between accessibility and performance I went in for the Sylvania H11 LEDs ($130+tax) for the low beams, Sylvania 9005s ($130+tax) for the high beams and Sylvania 5202s ($140+tax) for the fog lights, all bought at Canadian Tire. At the same time I discovered that one of the rear license plate lights had failed and so changed those also to LEDs. For me the beam pattern was important as the OE beam pattern was perfect and fortunately the Sylvania's  also retain that perfect beam pattern, both high and low, just that the light is whiter and significantly brighter. These bulbs have a 3 year warranty from Canadian Tire so let's see how durable they are. In my research I discovered that there are supposedly much better and pricier bulbs out there, the GTR Ultra 2.0 has got excellent reviews and a lot of people online swear by them, but they were US 225 for each low and high beam pair from headlightrevolutions and I was not sure whether they would be plug and play like the Sylvanias or whether one would also need an anti-flicker module and the ease/difficulty of installing that. Also in the event they don't work, it's  much simpler to just return to Canadian Tire rather than shipping to the US. 

SW2 halogen low & high beam headlight bulbs have been updated with Gtr Lighting Csp Mini Kit  Conversion LED, 9006 (low) & 9005 (high), bought online dealer from SK, on promotion as they run from time to time...

Funny or bad should I say, how yellow and dull light pattern of the original halogen beam when compare to low/high beam LED!
Did you need the anti flicker module or just replace the bulbs?

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18585 on: November 19, 2023, 11:39:57 am »

SW2 halogen low & high beam headlight bulbs have been updated with Gtr Lighting Csp Mini Kit  Conversion LED, 9006 (low) & 9005 (high), bought online dealer from SK, on promotion as they run from time to time...

Only the bulbs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 11:44:09 am by me_2 »

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18586 on: November 19, 2023, 12:03:02 pm »

Only the bulbs.
Thanks for the online SK link. I may try out the low beam H11s and if they are significantly better than the Sylvania's, then the 9005 high beams.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18587 on: November 19, 2023, 12:08:12 pm »

Only the bulbs.
Thanks for the online SK link. I may try out the low beam H11s and if they are significantly better than the Sylvania's, then the 9005 high beams.

I fixed the link. Let say we are already in November and sometime "random" promo may happen..  :shuffle:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 12:10:38 pm by me_2 »

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18588 on: November 19, 2023, 12:11:41 pm »

Only the bulbs.

I fixed the link. Let say we are already in November and sometime "random" promo may happen..  :shuffle:
;D That will certainly help. Right now each pair is priced at $309+tax!!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18589 on: November 19, 2023, 12:13:47 pm »

One of the things I found hard to get used to with LED.....seemed very easy to overdrive your lowbeams even at relatively low speeds.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18590 on: November 19, 2023, 01:22:56 pm »

One of the things I found hard to get used to with LED.....seemed very easy to overdrive your lowbeams even at relatively low speeds.

Notice that with the LED's on the RX too. High beam is great, but low beam feels short (on the highway, fine around town)

Could raise it, but might end up being 'that guy'

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18591 on: November 19, 2023, 01:37:12 pm »

Notice that with the LED's on the RX too. High beam is great, but low beam feels short (on the highway, fine around town)

Could raise it, but might end up being 'that guy'

I wonder if it is a case of the near distance being almost too bright. Your eyes adjust for the excessive brightness which sacrifices distance viewing where it is dimmer.   Baja designs talks about this a lot where it just isn't amount the amount of light but where it is thrown/focused.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18592 on: November 20, 2023, 08:14:02 am »

Only the bulbs.

The random promo did start this morning for Black Friday, 20% off, so I have ordered a pair of H11s!! Hopefully they will arrive sometime this week and by next weekend I should be able to install them.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18593 on: November 20, 2023, 10:15:02 am »
Haven't had much time for car stuff lately, but I did give the escalade a good bath, and did some interior cleanup on it as well this weekend. Old girl has been working hard lately.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18594 on: November 20, 2023, 10:45:56 am »
That SUV of yours fits perfectly into your regional biosphere.  Those wheels make it so!

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18595 on: November 20, 2023, 11:45:22 am »
 :rofl: It does fit in around here. Those are the factory optional 20"s...pretty rare and everyone just assumes they're aftermarket, I did as well until I researched them a bit. Truck has lived 10 years in Alberta, 7 in Ontario and now Tennessee - glad it's outta the salt at least.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18596 on: November 21, 2023, 08:20:58 pm »

Only the bulbs.

The random promo did start this morning for Black Friday, 20% off, so I have ordered a pair of H11s!! Hopefully they will arrive sometime this week and by next weekend I should be able to install them.

Well, they are used to say "timing is everything", isn't it?   :P

Let us know your impression ..

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18597 on: November 22, 2023, 10:48:45 am »

Only the bulbs.

Well, they are used to say "timing is everything", isn't it?   :P

Let us know your impression ..
The H11 low beam bulbs I ordered have been sent by the flat rate Canada wide $9 shipping with a delivery date next Monday the 27th (something that is not evident in the ordering process until Canada Post sends and email and confirms the delivery date) which also happens to be the last date of the Black Friday sale. Ideally I wanted to install the low beams and test them before ordering the high beam 9005 bulbs but given that the sale will be finished by the time I install the bulbs, I pulled the trigger this morning and ordered the 9005 high beams as well with expedited FedEx shipping so I get them at the same time as the H11s. Will definitely let you know their performance.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18598 on: November 22, 2023, 02:15:51 pm »
I need a new battery for my car..posted about it in another thread.

I'm currently sick, so would prefer to do mail order. But no one does mail order batteries because of shipping fees due to weight.

But I found a place...but didn't believe it. Orderered. And sure enough, 3 days later I ask why item hasn't shipped. Every excuse under the sun. But they just couldn't admit it was too heavy to ship for free and instead sounded like fools coming up with various excuses.

Got refunded and called friend at CDN Tire. Should be here Wednesday.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 02:23:39 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18599 on: November 22, 2023, 03:59:15 pm »
I need a new battery for my car..posted about it in another thread.

I'm currently sick, so would prefer to do mail order. But no one does mail order batteries because of shipping fees due to weight.

But I found a place...but didn't believe it. Orderered. And sure enough, 3 days later I ask why item hasn't shipped. Every excuse under the sun. But they just couldn't admit it was too heavy to ship for free and instead sounded like fools coming up with various excuses.

Got refunded and called friend at CDN Tire. Should be here Wednesday.

There used to be a thing about shipping lead-acid batteries with acid in them wasn't allowed.  The retailer had to add the acid and charge them.
Now they seem to be much more concerned about shipping lithium batteries.
Mr Pickypants