Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043252 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18560 on: November 17, 2023, 05:44:46 pm »
^ Figured $75 was too cheap.  I've had two done in the last year and both were around the $130 IIRC.  Good to hear you got it done though.  How far out was it?

I was bang on on one front. The other front was 0.08 and was corrected to 0.02. This tech was able to adjust the rears too which on two previous alignments the tech claimed the adjusters were frozen. All good. Time for some gravy mileage.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18561 on: November 17, 2023, 07:19:07 pm »
Winter wheels are on. It rains today of course  :P

Did a DIY brake fluid flush at 48k. Couldn't get the car in "invalid" mode for whatever reason, but with the ignition OFF and keys inside the car, gently pressing on the brake pedal activates a pump, so the rear brakes can be bled no problem, only it takes two people and patience. Toyota schedule for brakes bleeding is every 48k.

I have no idea how often spark plugs need to be changed on a Venza hybrid though, I found no mention of it in any schedule. TCCN youtube guy says either 60k miles to 120k miles, depending on the model, for the same engine...  ???

Brake fluid is typically by time not mileage 2 -3 years.is Toyota different?
For plugs, I guess it depends on what you have. The Iridium ones in the Mitsubishi are due 168K km by the manual (did them at around 160K km).
The ones in the BMW and GTI are due 90K km...
If I was to guess, your would be 160K km....but just a guess.

Yes, Venza's schedule shows brake fluid replacement every 48k. Rear electronic brakes probably have something to do with the fluid having to be moisture free.
I think my plugs may be dual tip iridium. Will take out a plug to inspect around 100k km and go from there.

P.s. Toyota schedule is online, so I guess based on the mileage driven, it will show either time or km intervals for the brake fluid and other maintenance.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 07:22:43 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18562 on: November 17, 2023, 07:19:26 pm »
Got talked into an alignment on the Yukon yesterday when I put on the new tires. They claimed the old tires were worn slightly on the shoulders, but I can hardly see it.  ::)

Anyway, figured what the heck: haven't had an alignment since I bought it (had it checked in 2018, but no adjustments.) Toe was out a bit this time, so they got it back into spec. $150

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18563 on: November 17, 2023, 08:10:15 pm »
Got talked into an alignment on the Yukon yesterday when I put on the new tires. They claimed the old tires were worn slightly on the shoulders, but I can hardly see it.  ::)

Anyway, figured what the heck: haven't had an alignment since I bought it (had it checked in 2018, but no adjustments.) Toe was out a bit this time, so they got it back into spec. $150

I went 10 years without an alignment on the Ridgeline because it drove fine. A set of control arms and then a the replacement of a failed a arm and now outer tie rods has meant 3 in the past three years. Should be good for another 10 now. ;)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #18564 on: November 17, 2023, 09:54:07 pm »
^ Figured $75 was too cheap.  I've had two done in the last year and both were around the $130 IIRC.  Good to hear you got it done though.  How far out was it?

I was bang on on one front. The other front was 0.08 and was corrected to 0.02. This tech was able to adjust the rears too which on two previous alignments the tech claimed the adjusters were frozen. All good. Time for some gravy mileage.

What mileage do you commonly get with that vehicle ? Borrowed a friend's  Tacoma, lucky to get 12 liters per 100. Wish I had my old truck back.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18565 on: November 17, 2023, 11:28:11 pm »
About that 12-13 mixed albeit with a heavy foot. Can massage 10-11 driving like a granny. It’s old tech, heavy, awd an aerodynamic as a brick. It also has little low end torque and likes to sing 4K rpm to redline. V-Tec Yo.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18566 on: November 18, 2023, 04:38:50 am »
About that 12-13 mixed albeit with a heavy foot. Can massage 10-11 driving like a granny. It’s old tech, heavy, awd an aerodynamic as a brick. It also has little low end torque and likes to sing 4K rpm to redline. V-Tec Yo.
I keep looking at those for a "beater" truck.

Really impressed with how many I see with a bazillion KM on them.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18567 on: November 18, 2023, 09:33:32 am »

Anything more than 10 , I  have  a hard time with.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18568 on: November 18, 2023, 09:58:23 am »

Was your old Frontier a 4-cylinder?   I could never get anywhere near 10 L/100km with my 4.0, usually 13-15
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18569 on: November 18, 2023, 10:24:34 am »

You won't get there with na 3.5L old tech V6. You will however get lots of kms of life...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18570 on: November 18, 2023, 11:56:15 am »
Wife's MDX always sits at around a 11.  If it's winter and mostly in town you can see 13, but the remote start is used daily.  So that 15 minutes of idling.

The 2012 Camry Hybrid was never over 7.    I figure the actual mpg for the Grand Highlander MAX will be 10 city.  A vehicle I might consider next.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18571 on: November 18, 2023, 12:36:05 pm »
Wife's MDX always sits at around a 11.  If it's winter and mostly in town you can see 13, but the remote start is used daily.  So that 15 minutes of idling.

The 2012 Camry Hybrid was never over 7.    I figure the actual mpg for the Grand Highlander MAX will be 10 city.  A vehicle I might consider next.

MDX has displacement on demand?

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18572 on: November 18, 2023, 12:44:35 pm »

MDX has displacement on demand?

Yes, I believe almost all the Honda/Acura V6s have had it for the past 10 years.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18573 on: November 18, 2023, 03:11:40 pm »

Was your old Frontier a 4-cylinder?   I could never get anywhere near 10 L/100km with my 4.0, usually 13-15

Yes old K24.with a manual.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18574 on: November 18, 2023, 04:17:41 pm »
Ordered online  ($140 tx in, pick-up scheduled next week) a used OEM polished wheel RTN for son's 2015 Volt, to replace a cracked one from his winter set, slowly leaking air & eventually become a potential point of failure
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 04:30:35 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #18575 on: November 19, 2023, 08:48:10 am »
The halogen headlight bulbs on the Yukon had faded a bit over the years specially the low beams in the last 12 months or so and also in contrast to the LED headlights on the Jetta & GTI. These are the OE bulbs and had never been changed, so after some research and a balancing act between accessibility and performance I went in for the Sylvania H11 LEDs ($130+tax) for the low beams, Sylvania 9005s ($130+tax) for the high beams and Sylvania 5202s ($140+tax) for the fog lights, all bought at Canadian Tire. At the same time I discovered that one of the rear license plate lights had failed and so changed those also to LEDs. For me the beam pattern was important as the OE beam pattern was perfect and fortunately the Sylvania's  also retain that perfect beam pattern, both high and low, just that the light is whiter and significantly brighter. These bulbs have a 3 year warranty from Canadian Tire so let's see how durable they are. In my research I discovered that there are supposedly much better and pricier bulbs out there, the GTR Ultra 2.0 has got excellent reviews and a lot of people online swear by them, but they were US 225 for each low and high beam pair from headlightrevolutions and I was not sure whether they would be plug and play like the Sylvanias or whether one would also need an anti-flicker module and the ease/difficulty of installing that. Also in the event they don't work, it's  much simpler to just return to Canadian Tire rather than shipping to the US. 

Also had to change the rear pads and rotors after 90,000 km, the front's are OK for now, the first time I changed the OE pads and rotors was at 100,000 km, so it looks like in my type of driving I am getting about 100,000 km from a set.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18576 on: November 19, 2023, 10:01:28 am »
Installed new fog light assemblies on the BMW yesterday. New units (Hella from RockAuto) are identical, down to the last detail, with the factory ones.

Did a rear brake job with my friend on his '13 Forester. Easy, uneventful job. We were planning to do a full  brake fluid flush but the reservoir cap on Subaru is different and the cap that came with my pressure bleeder didn't fit as it's mostly for Euro cars. I ordered a cap from Amazon that it's supposed to fit most Japanese brands. Will see when it arrives.

Took the car for a ride to do the bedding and I remembered how bad the brakes are in this car (extremely soft pedal). I did a search online and the Subaru forums are full of threads on this issue. Normally I would've thought it's because of air in the lines and a good bleeding would solve it but it seems like it's not the case with these cars (not limited to Forester).
I recall the pedal was soft on my FIL's 2006 Forester too but at the time I thought it's just his car - he wasn't big on maintenance past oil changes.

Did Subaru get around fixing this issue in the new cars? I know we have a good size  sample here....

And then is the acceleration in this car....my cars are no rockets, but boy, you can feel the difference...painful to go 20-100km/hr....
Once you get up to speed it's fine, but you need to take your time and be patient to get there.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 11:12:19 am by Dante »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18577 on: November 19, 2023, 11:21:13 am »
The halogen headlight bulbs on the Yukon had faded a bit over the years specially the low beams in the last 12 months or so and also in contrast to the LED headlights on the Jetta & GTI. These are the OE bulbs and had never been changed, so after some research and a balancing act between accessibility and performance I went in for the Sylvania H11 LEDs ($130+tax) for the low beams, Sylvania 9005s ($130+tax) for the high beams and Sylvania 5202s ($140+tax) for the fog lights, all bought at Canadian Tire. At the same time I discovered that one of the rear license plate lights had failed and so changed those also to LEDs. For me the beam pattern was important as the OE beam pattern was perfect and fortunately the Sylvania's  also retain that perfect beam pattern, both high and low, just that the light is whiter and significantly brighter. These bulbs have a 3 year warranty from Canadian Tire so let's see how durable they are. In my research I discovered that there are supposedly much better and pricier bulbs out there, the GTR Ultra 2.0 has got excellent reviews and a lot of people online swear by them, but they were US 225 for each low and high beam pair from headlightrevolutions and I was not sure whether they would be plug and play like the Sylvanias or whether one would also need an anti-flicker module and the ease/difficulty of installing that. Also in the event they don't work, it's  much simpler to just return to Canadian Tire rather than shipping to the US. 

SW2 halogen low & high beam headlight bulbs have been updated with Gtr Lighting Csp Mini Kit  Conversion LED, 9006 (low) & 9005 (high), bought online dealer from SK, on promotion as they run from time to time...

Funny or bad should I say, how yellow and dull light pattern of the original halogen beam when compare to low/high beam LED!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 11:50:48 am by me_2 »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18578 on: November 19, 2023, 11:25:43 am »

Also had to change the rear pads and rotors after 90,000 km, the front's are OK for now, the first time I changed the OE pads and rotors was at 100,000 km, so it looks like in my type of driving I am getting about 100,000 km from a set.

SW2 halogen low & high beam headlight bulbs have updated with Gtr Lighting Csp Mini Kit  Conversion LED, 9006 (low) & 9005 (high), bought online dealer from SK, on promotion as they run from time to time...

Funny or bad should I say, how yellow and dull light pattern of the original halogen beam when compare to low/high beam LED!

Yeah the good old days where every oncoming car didn't partially blind you.  ;D

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #18579 on: November 19, 2023, 11:28:57 am »

Took the car for a ride to do the bedding and I remembered how bad the brakes are in this car (extremely soft pedal). I did a search online and the Subaru forums are full of threads on this issue. Normally I would've thought it's because of air in the lines and a good bleeding would solve it but it seems like it's not the case with these cars (not limited to Forester).
I recall the pedal was soft on my FIL's 2006 Forester too but at the time I thought it's just his car - he wasn't big on maintenance past oil changes.

Did Subaru get around fixing this issue in the new cars? I know we have a good size  sample here....

And then is the acceleration in this car....my cars are no rockets, but boy, you can feel the difference...painful to go 20-100km/hr....
Once you get up to speed it's fine, but you need to take your time and be patient to get there.

In 2021 a friend bought a 2018 Forester with low km from the local dealer and invited me to go along with him for a test drive. The braking did not stand out, the pedal, brake feel and stopping distances seemed pretty normal as I recall. What I do remember clearly though is how despite the generally unfavorable power to weight ratio of the vehicle, the low CVT gearing and 4WD resulted in really aggressive take-offs from a standing start. So 0-50 kmph progress was very rapid, but then the power to weight deficit caught up at higher speeds. The suspension was also very compliant, so a good vehicle to drive on badly maintained urban streets and in the cut and thrust of urban driving.