Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043361 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18520 on: November 13, 2023, 03:15:58 pm »
Replaced the sway bar bushings on the MDX this morning. It had a rattle over rough roads/packed ice  this past winter that hasn’t surfaced this summer over the smoother roads. Everything seems tight under there so thought I’d start with the bushings. If you can change a tire, you could change these on the MDX. However I won’t know if they solved the issue for a bit. Roads are bare and dry.

The Mevotech replacements are :censor: quality compared to OEM, even though listed as a OE quality. Ah well, I’ll get the Honda ones if these don’t work out. Not to worried since they are so inexpensive and easy to do.
Funny...my experience was the opposite.

The OEM sway bar bushings in the Honda Accord we had were inferior to the aftermarket ones.

And, oddly, only the rear ones had the issue.

Inferior in what way? Aftermarket (performance) ones can be stiffer and "better" performance but were they better overall construction and durability? IDK Either way the OE ones didn't make noise, were comfortable and lasted 13 years and 215k kms of fairly aggressive driving. When I removed them they still hadn't failed, just looked a little tired.

Aftermarket stuff is just so hit and miss I would rather not spend my time chancing it.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #18521 on: November 13, 2023, 05:00:26 pm »
Replaced the sway bar bushings on the MDX this morning. It had a rattle over rough roads/packed ice  this past winter that hasn’t surfaced this summer over the smoother roads. Everything seems tight under there so thought I’d start with the bushings. If you can change a tire, you could change these on the MDX. However I won’t know if they solved the issue for a bit. Roads are bare and dry.

The Mevotech replacements are :censor: quality compared to OEM, even though listed as a OE quality. Ah well, I’ll get the Honda ones if these don’t work out. Not to worried since they are so inexpensive and easy to do.

The OEM sway bar bushings in the Honda Accord we had were inferior to the aftermarket ones.

Inferior in what way? Aftermarket (performance) ones can be stiffer and "better" performance but were they better overall construction and durability? IDK Either way the OE ones didn't make noise, were comfortable and lasted 13 years and 215k kms of fairly aggressive driving. When I removed them they still hadn't failed, just looked a little tired.

Aftermarket stuff is just so hit and miss I would rather not spend my time chancing it.

Like I said, the Mevotech ones are :censor: in comparison. Much much softer, and much less beefy. I should have take a few pictures and a video. Anyway, maybe they’ll last, but I highly doubt it. They’ll be punched out in a year. Maybe they have a higher quality one.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18522 on: November 13, 2023, 05:05:51 pm »
Swapped the tires on the Crossie last week, so the fleet is all on winter shoes now. CX-90 will need its 2nd lifetime fill-up soon, it just moved under a half tank.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18523 on: November 13, 2023, 05:41:52 pm »

Like I said, the Mevotech ones are :censor: in comparison. Much much softer, and much less beefy. I should have take a few pictures and a video. Anyway, maybe they’ll last, but I highly doubt it. They’ll be punched out in a year. Maybe they have a higher quality one.

Sorry I wasn't clear I was asking Ron.

I just soured on aftermarket stuff when I had power control arms with a dodgy ball joint new out of the box? Like WTF? Also the mevotech heavy duty sway bars developed play in less than a year. I simply don't want to be replacing cheap stuff constantly. My time does have a little value.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 06:19:05 pm by ktm525 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18524 on: November 13, 2023, 05:50:45 pm »

Durability.  Split easily. Even had a set wear out after a few months. They were really, really soft.

No such issue with aftermarket.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 05:52:19 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18525 on: November 13, 2023, 06:18:20 pm »
But soft is what gives you that compliant no bump OE ride. Soft and wears out is no good.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18526 on: November 13, 2023, 06:23:09 pm »
But soft is what gives you that compliant no bump OE ride. Soft and wears out is no good.
Ya, that was the issue....they would split prematurely.

And only the rear.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18527 on: November 13, 2023, 08:34:07 pm »

You need Hercules tires for that smooth, no bump ride.   :-X
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18528 on: November 13, 2023, 09:20:47 pm »
New X-Ice Snow SUV installed on the Outlander. Boy,  the winter tires have come a
long way with each generation in terms of comfort, noise, handling on dry warm pavement at low or (quite) high speeds....
Not sure how other brands are these days, but the Michelin are pretty damn good tires. Blizzak WS90 (on the GTI) are pretty good too and a far cry from what they were 10-12 years ago or so when I had exposure to them ( I think WS60 at the time).

Ready for the white stuff....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18529 on: November 13, 2023, 10:01:10 pm »

You need Hercules tires for that smooth, no bump ride.   :-X

I'm glad you picked up on that. Well done.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18530 on: November 14, 2023, 04:24:22 pm »
Clutch went out on my son's truck - 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 with 5spd. Pedal goes to the floor. So likely the master or slave cylinder. We can fix this no problem right? In the street even. Sure. Took a look at it. The slave cylinder is IN the transmission case not bolted to the outside. Ugh. Needs the transmission, transfer case, exhaust, etc all dropped. Some claim it is easier to take out the engine. Seriously GM? For the fricking work truck?  ???

So I have little interest (or garage space) in doing that work. Off to a mechanic I think.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18531 on: November 14, 2023, 04:37:34 pm »
Blech

Never heard of putting a slave inside the case!

Just as well GM gave up on truck manuals after a while

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18532 on: November 14, 2023, 04:41:55 pm »
PITA. My Volvo wagon was like that.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18533 on: November 14, 2023, 05:03:11 pm »
Sounds like GM took lessons from some Germans I know.  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18534 on: November 14, 2023, 06:23:24 pm »
That's horrible lol. I guess it's a good thing the manual take rate was pretty low on those.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18535 on: November 14, 2023, 06:25:39 pm »
That's horrible lol. I guess it's a good thing the manual take rate was pretty low on those.

Not for him though. I guess the Corvette and some Mustangs also did it as well.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18536 on: November 14, 2023, 08:09:10 pm »

So was my 1990 944S2

When I did the clutch I did the slave although it was working perfectly.  I had a 1995 525 that had the slave on the outside.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #18537 on: November 14, 2023, 09:26:21 pm »

So was my 1990 944S2

Really? My 944 Turbo wasn't like that. Had the master & slave done 2 months after I bought it.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #18538 on: November 15, 2023, 07:11:38 pm »
Got my winters put on the car and it took the shop two days to do it.  ;D

Dropped my car off yesterday, wheels/tires in the back, wheel lock on the dash. Great.

Get a call at 3pm asking where are the nuts for the winters. Um....I don't know. Tell them I'll find them tonight and either put them in the car or drop them off in the morning.

Go to my storage locker early this morning (so much for sleeping in) and can't find them. Fack!  Tell them just put new ones on. All is good again.

Drive to London to visit my mom and tell her the story and she says, I think you left them in my spare closet. Yep, there is where I put them. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :banghead: 

Now I have a lot of spare nuts  :rofl2:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18539 on: November 15, 2023, 07:23:55 pm »
Got my winters put on the car and it took the shop two days to do it.  ;D

Dropped my car off yesterday, wheels/tires in the back, wheel lock on the dash. Great.

Get a call at 3pm asking where are the nuts for the winters. Um....I don't know. Tell them I'll find them tonight and either put them in the car or drop them off in the morning.

Go to my storage locker early this morning (so much for sleeping in) and can't find them. Fack!  Tell them just put new ones on. All is good again.

Drive to London to visit my mom and tell her the story and she says, I think you left them in my spare closet. Yep, there is where I put them. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :banghead: 

Now I have a lot of spare nuts  :rofl2:

lol. Pro tip: keep things together. Nuts in ziploc bag taped to inside of one of the wheels they secure. Write down tightening torque on bag.