Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044049 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18320 on: September 09, 2023, 09:57:08 am »
Gave the 1990 Camry its annual oil change and put it back into the basement for storage. It did almost a full tank of gas worth of driving this year, including being shown at the Oblivion Car Show (past best-in-class winner!).

The good 'ol question: change the oil right before storage (end of season) or out of storage (beginning of season)?  ;D

I see the logic with both sides, but I do it immediately upon pulling out of storage (beginning of season). The Camry was pulled out of storage after a year, washed, and taken straight to a car show, so it kind of got side-tracked this year.

If a car goes to the track (this year the Aston and Ferrari did) they get an oil change again right after the track day.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #18321 on: September 09, 2023, 04:25:51 pm »
Gave the 1990 Camry its annual oil change and put it back into the basement for storage. It did almost a full tank of gas worth of driving this year, including being shown at the Oblivion Car Show (past best-in-class winner!).

The good 'ol question: change the oil right before storage (end of season) or out of storage (beginning of season)?  ;D

I’ve always done both

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18322 on: September 09, 2023, 06:15:54 pm »
Mustang gets it every 4K km or every 2 years as I rarely drive it.  Me thinks a total coolant flush every 5 years is critical if one is keeping the car forever.  Total coolant exchanges are so overlooked for good reason.

I've never changed the brake fluid.  Lost my little pressure pump some time ago and just keep putting it off finding a replacement.  Should get on that.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #18323 on: September 09, 2023, 11:59:18 pm »
Today was hitch and wiring install on the Sienna. Pretty smooth sailing but a bit scary cutting into the brand new bumper. Overall quite happy with the process. Went with this one as it doesn't hang down below the bumper like some of the other brands and retains the kick sensor for the tailgate.
https://torkliftcentral.com/2021-toyota-sienna-featured-stainless-steel-rust-free-trailer-hitch-receiver

Yesterday was oil change and a new speed sensor on the trans for the civic.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18324 on: September 10, 2023, 01:33:39 am »
Today was hitch and wiring install on the Sienna. Pretty smooth sailing but a bit scary cutting into the brand new bumper. Overall quite happy with the process. Went with this one as it doesn't hang down below the bumper like some of the other brands and retains the kick sensor for the tailgate.
https://torkliftcentral.com/2021-toyota-sienna-featured-stainless-steel-rust-free-trailer-hitch-receiver

SS receiver; very interesting.  You had to trim a bit of the bumper?  Pics please.  What did that run you?  $700 CAD tax in?

Also how much for the harness.  My hitch buying days are over, but it's interesting to know current prices.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #18325 on: September 10, 2023, 09:23:25 am »
 ^^ I bought a hitch for my Civic here. https://www.hitchweb.com/  A Canadian source. They also sell harnesses,some plug and play.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18326 on: September 10, 2023, 11:54:43 am »

SS receiver; very interesting.  You had to trim a bit of the bumper?  Pics please.  What did that run you?  $700 CAD tax in?

Also how much for the harness.  My hitch buying days are over, but it's interesting to know current prices.

I took some pics during installation but none of the finished product yet. Ill try to get some later today and upload. Got a plug and play aftermarket harness that plugs into the factory wiring. All in after exchange was ~$800. This hitch is quite a bit more than options from Curt, hiddenhitch, etc but is much more discrete looking. It replaces the actual bumper cross bar whereas the other options hang below.

^^ I bought a hitch for my Civic here. https://www.hitchweb.com/  A Canadian source. They also sell harnesses,some plug and play.

I would've preferred a Canadian dealer as well but I couldn't find any that carried this manufacturer/model.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #18327 on: September 10, 2023, 04:11:21 pm »
Switched out the amber side lights for smoked ones, and popped in some puddle lights.  Not sure if I’ll keep those ones, but they did give my family a good laugh leaving a restaurant last night    ;D

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18328 on: September 10, 2023, 04:54:22 pm »
I had the Audi (with rings) projection puddle lights on the S8.

I think they looked good!

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18329 on: September 10, 2023, 06:51:24 pm »

I took some pics during installation but none of the finished product yet. Ill try to get some later today and upload. Got a plug and play aftermarket harness that plugs into the factory wiring. All in after exchange was ~$800. This hitch is quite a bit more than options from Curt, hiddenhitch, etc but is much more discrete looking. It replaces the actual bumper cross bar whereas the other options hang below.

I would've preferred a Canadian dealer as well but I couldn't find any that carried this manufacturer/model.

Mine was just a simple  Curt hitch. The bumper cover has to come off though. It installs directly to the bumper bracket. Held on by 8 bolts.

I  decided to do it myself and if a scratch or any damage is going to happen to  my new car I am going to do it. ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18330 on: September 10, 2023, 07:43:06 pm »
I put a Curt hitch on the Crosstrek this summer too. Think it was around $300 and change?

Didn’t need to cut any of the Crosstrek’s bumper cover. Didn’t even need to take it off - the Curt bolts to the underside of the Crosstrek’s unibody.

Looks ok. Just the receiver is hanging below the bumper cover, everything else is hidden behind it. I assume it will get rusty eventually, but should be easy enough to touch up when the time comes.

Considered these for a hot minute, until I saw the price. Think they were about a grand, and also seems like a PITA to install/remove the receiver all the time.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18331 on: September 10, 2023, 07:51:17 pm »
^^ That's how mine attaches to the bumper bar but like your car you can still see the receiver . It really depends on the structure of your vehicle underneath I guess.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18332 on: September 10, 2023, 08:10:22 pm »
^^ I know Subaru sells its own hitch receiver that attaches to the bumper mounting points like yours. I think it’s safer / more crashworthy / doesn’t interfere with crumple zones that way?

Anyway, wasn’t an option for me as the Subaru one is 1 1/4” and I wanted 2”.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 10:57:32 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18333 on: September 10, 2023, 10:29:56 pm »
Went for a Sunday morning drive with some buddies in the Uxbridge area of the GTA.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #18334 on: September 11, 2023, 06:49:29 am »
^That's a good day out right there, and nice pic!  :thumbup:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18335 on: September 11, 2023, 10:32:09 am »
Switched out the amber side lights for smoked ones, and popped in some puddle lights.  Not sure if I’ll keep those ones, but they did give my family a good laugh leaving a restaurant last night    ;D

Are smoked side lights legal? Just curious, they do look better.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #18336 on: September 11, 2023, 12:02:05 pm »

Are smoked side lights legal? Just curious, they do look better.

"yes"  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #18337 on: September 11, 2023, 12:13:52 pm »
In Jersey anything's legal as long as you don't get caught - Bob Dylan
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18338 on: September 11, 2023, 12:39:20 pm »
hitch install photos as requested by ArticSteve below:

pre-install:

tail lights and bumper cover removed:

bumper removed:

plug and play harness installed:

hitch loosely installed:

trimmed a small square out of the bumper cover (red line):

finished installation:

For reference, here are a couple of the other hitch options:
https://autoparts.toyota.com/products/product/tow-hitch-receiver-with-wire-harness-pk96008b08 its only a 1.25" receiver size
https://www.hitchweb.com/2023-toyota-sienna-trailer-hitches

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 10:06:46 am by draghon »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18339 on: September 11, 2023, 01:34:22 pm »
Interesting! So it basically replaces what bumper there is. Probably not a bad thing

Shame bumpers are going back to 'hit and bend' type of olden days, especially so close to a hatch. My Vibe had nothing more than a layer of styrofoam under the bumper cover, but that absorbed the hit of a deer dead on and you couldn't see a sign of it until you pushed on the cover at the right spot