Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044334 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18280 on: August 24, 2023, 10:06:53 am »
Thanks for the discussion guys, appreciated.  We'll see what the next few months brings but I am leaning towards keeping it.  I have thought about keeping it just for truck duties and buying something else for commuting, but that would be us up to four cars in the driveway with another driver coming along in the next year.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #18281 on: August 24, 2023, 11:07:03 am »
Changed the manual transmission gear oil which was still original even though it was ultra-low mileage but based on time. Next will be the front differential gear oil and the All Wheel Drive Controller lube (as the manufacturer calls it).

Love working on cars, motorcycles and aircraft (over 50 years now, started in my early teens) and it is nice to see the attention to detail and how well things are put together (or not) when working on them.

What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18282 on: August 25, 2023, 07:54:28 am »
Daughter's CX-30 received a chrome blackout yesterday, and it's getting a full front clip PPF today. Next up will be mounting the black alloys for that sinister monochrome look.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18283 on: August 25, 2023, 10:41:05 am »
A sinister CX-30  ;D Love it.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18284 on: August 25, 2023, 10:51:33 am »
A sinister CX-30  ;D Love it.

This ROW Black Edition was her inspiration:

She kept the chrome badging though.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #18285 on: August 25, 2023, 12:17:10 pm »
Thanks for the discussion guys, appreciated.  We'll see what the next few months brings but I am leaning towards keeping it.  I have thought about keeping it just for truck duties and buying something else for commuting, but that would be us up to four cars in the driveway with another driver coming along in the next year.

My vote is to run the current one into the ground.  My bil and I had a discussion about what we don't like about our new trucks and all complaints were based on the obtrusive technology and wishing they were more basic.  Also, the cost of repairing that stuff is going off the rails.  My BIL's best friend is the local Toyota dealer and he recommended he get the extended warranty for his new Tundra Capstone edition.  Told him the cost of replacing the huge TFT screen alone was ~$18k!  A broken sv mirror for my new F-150 was over $2k to replace and that is for one without the camera.  Broke two on my last truck.   :P

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #18286 on: August 25, 2023, 12:26:04 pm »

My vote is to run the current one into the ground.  My bil and I had a discussion about what we don't like about our new trucks and all complaints were based on the obtrusive technology and wishing they were more basic.  Also, the cost of repairing that stuff is going off the rails.  My BIL's best friend is the local Toyota dealer and he recommended he get the extended warranty for his new Tundra Capstone edition.  Told him the cost of replacing the huge TFT screen alone was ~$18k!  A broken sv mirror for my new F-150 was over $2k to replace and that is for one without the camera.  Broke two on my last truck.   :P

Good points there KD on repairing a new unit.  This truck is very basic by today's standards.  Power windows, locks, mirrors, driver's seat, a/t/c, and that's about it.  Doesn't even have Bluetooth.  An upgraded head unit as Fob mentioned would be something else nice to have.  We don't use the truck for long distance family trips, so I don't mind that its basic.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 12:28:18 pm by bridgecity »

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18287 on: August 25, 2023, 12:57:13 pm »

Good points there KD on repairing a new unit.  This truck is very basic by today's standards.  Power windows, locks, mirrors, driver's seat, a/t/c, and that's about it.  Doesn't even have Bluetooth.  An upgraded head unit as Fob mentioned would be something else nice to have.  We don't use the truck for long distance family trips, so I don't mind that its basic.

Food for thought: a colleague reviewed a new GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate. It's lacking the optional diesel, yet stickered at $113,700.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18288 on: August 25, 2023, 01:08:15 pm »

Food for thought: a colleague reviewed a new GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate. It's lacking the optional diesel, yet stickered at $113,700.

Dollar is at $0.734 to the US. Canadians have seen a 25+% decline in the value of their dollar, investments and Canadian holdings  since the heady days of 2013.Past 10 years have not been kind.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18289 on: August 25, 2023, 09:50:28 pm »
^^   A country like Canada cannot play the debt game like the US.  People are appalled about vehicle prices thinking that's it's some sort of temporary aberration.  Nope.  It's just the start of a very long slide in the standard of living.  Lonnie will hold if oil stays above $70 WTI.  But if oil dives then wholly h*ll.  We'll be importing circa 1970 Ladas from Russia.  :P

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #18290 on: August 26, 2023, 10:05:21 am »
Not today...but soon...will be getting a new roof, hood, possibly another fender (same one that just got replaced!), mirrors, windshield...and who knows what else done on the truck.  So new paint all around! Other than the box...that bush saved the box...so I've been told.  Or is it "that's what she said"?  Everything else...not so much.  Thanks mother nature!  To hail with you too!!  ::) ;D

Oh...and a new roof and all 4 sides of the camper...hope they don't write it off.  "Marginal" they called it.  Which means it might be, yet.  Hell no, the thing is worth more than I have it insured for! (facking covid pricing, never occurred to me to bump up the value - a new one is $20k more than what we paid 5 yrs ago.  :o :P ::) - inattentive dipshit - me).  No way I could replace it for what it's insured for.  And I need to call the dealer today - apparently Wpg had a massive helluva hailstorm and it may have been right in the path of the storm.  Yay! (probably not, but would've been close)

Son's 5.0 - had his assessment yesterday...write off.  No way!  So they had another opinion from wherever they get their second opinions from.  He'll probably need a roof, hood, fenders, whatever they can't PDR...dents in the 1/4's (both) and doors...new windshield...taillight...estimated at around $8000 damage.  How much are you valuing my car at!?

They looked, oh, ok, we'll fix it.  Yes you will!  :iagree: :thumbup:

There were 2 manual trans 2013 Cali Specials in Canada with similar kms and both were asking $38k+
Which is absolute horseshlt and he knows it and said so himself - no way they're worth that much - shoot he paid less than $20k 5-6 yrs ago! When they were only $25-$30.  A 10 yr old 5.0 is NOT worth north of $30k.  But there were no others and that's what they were asking.  He didn't end up having to use those examples...but he would've taken the $30+ g and bought a GT350 lol.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18291 on: August 26, 2023, 11:14:55 am »
Not today...but soon...will be getting a new roof, hood, possibly another fender (same one that just got replaced!), mirrors, windshield...and who knows what else done on the truck.  So new paint all around! Other than the box...that bush saved the box...so I've been told.  Or is it "that's what she said"?  Everything else...not so much.  Thanks mother nature!  To hail with you too!!  ::) ;D

Oh...and a new roof and all 4 sides of the camper...hope they don't write it off.  "Marginal" they called it.  Which means it might be, yet.  Hell no, the thing is worth more than I have it insured for! (facking covid pricing, never occurred to me to bump up the value - a new one is $20k more than what we paid 5 yrs ago.  :o :P ::) - inattentive dipshit - me).  No way I could replace it for what it's insured for.  And I need to call the dealer today - apparently Wpg had a massive helluva hailstorm and it may have been right in the path of the storm.  Yay! (probably not, but would've been close)

Son's 5.0 - had his assessment yesterday...write off.  No way!  So they had another opinion from wherever they get their second opinions from.  He'll probably need a roof, hood, fenders, whatever they can't PDR...dents in the 1/4's (both) and doors...new windshield...taillight...estimated at around $8000 damage.  How much are you valuing my car at!?

They looked, oh, ok, we'll fix it.  Yes you will!  :iagree: :thumbup:

There were 2 manual trans 2013 Cali Specials in Canada with similar kms and both were asking $38k+
Which is absolute horseshlt and he knows it and said so himself - no way they're worth that much - shoot he paid less than $20k 5-6 yrs ago! When they were only $25-$30.  A 10 yr old 5.0 is NOT worth north of $30k.  But there were no others and that's what they were asking.  He didn't end up having to use those examples...but he would've taken the $30+ g and bought a GT350 lol.

Fight for your things. I had over 800 hail dings taken out of the Ridgeline (no panel replacements) and you can't tell. They rarely replace roofs as access for PDR  is generally easy and replacement is serious work. The rest of it just hangs so replacement is much more viable. If they write it off they look into buying back and arranging your own PDR for a fraction the price. Many people in Alberta take the cheque and just drive their car is: golf ball style. As long as the glass is not broken you "written off" car is still road worthy.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18292 on: August 26, 2023, 11:37:30 am »
Over 800!! Wow!  :o That's nuts!  Some of the dents we have are too deep I guess...we'll see.  They'll PDR what they can but the estimator said new hood and roof - I'll take the new hood.  I'd prefer if they didn't have to do the roof - I doubt anything would lever be the same again after that.  Maybe I should convert it to the Sport model painted look instead of the chrome pkg it has now.  Make it look younger-people-ish instead of old man.  ;D 

The Mustang roof though - it pop-cans (is that right?  Seems like that's not right) now.  Ping-poing-ping...or is it bing boing bing?  Ting toing ting? Ping-boing-ting maybe.

Have hail pics, don't have truck pics.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18293 on: August 26, 2023, 12:05:00 pm »
Most of those 800 were minor and only appeared under the special lights the repair people use. It is quite shocking. Many pop with heat and nothing more. Some require heat and one tap from a hammer or lever. That being said a good PDR tech can remove some pretty nasty stuff. The truck took one day so they can move quick.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18294 on: August 26, 2023, 12:16:14 pm »

So you got clobbered in a hailstorm too? Don't tell me everything but the Fusion?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18295 on: August 26, 2023, 12:25:24 pm »
those are some impressive stones

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18296 on: August 26, 2023, 12:57:16 pm »
Not my car, but was helping the step daughter with advice remotely the last few days as she had to suddenly get a replacement for her old Tiguan

She ended up taking delivery of a new Corolla Cross XLE yesterday, after a bit of an epic journey.

Used vehicles are still too pricey and lower end versions of the SUV's she was looking for were pretty much non existent. What she could find were usually packed with 'mandatory extras'

Dealers ranged from just ok to awful and then she suddenly happened on a very good one and a vehicle that had just gotten off the truck

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18297 on: August 27, 2023, 08:33:06 am »
So you got clobbered in a hailstorm too? Don't tell me everything but the Fusion?

Everything but the Fusion and Sonic.  We were camping...there were a lot of people who didn't put their awnings in who had Swiss cheese after it was over.  Some people the hail went through their camper roof (at least one guy - cheaply built camper I guess) and I saw one that looked like it had been peppered with buckshot.  We got lucky as far as "minimal" damage goes...but enough that all 4 sides had dents...all four...like WTF that shouldn't happen!  :o :rofl:

Not sure this shows anything, it seems hard taking pictures of hail dents...but, the kids Mustang:

Looks like stones tossed in water.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #18298 on: August 27, 2023, 12:56:50 pm »

Everything but the Fusion and Sonic.  We were camping...there were a lot of people who didn't put their awnings in who had Swiss cheese after it was over.  Some people the hail went through their camper roof (at least one guy - cheaply built camper I guess) and I saw one that looked like it had been peppered with buckshot.  We got lucky as far as "minimal" damage goes...but enough that all 4 sides had dents...all four...like WTF that shouldn't happen!  :o :rofl:
Not sure this shows anything, it seems hard taking pictures of hail dents...but, the kids Mustang:
Looks like stones tossed in water.

Geez, that must have been an experience. Being in a camper in a hailstorm like would be one step above a cardboard box. Always wonder how a pano roof like on the RX would fare, probably explode on the first hit and from then on it's just the fabric of the sunshade

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18299 on: August 28, 2023, 08:09:54 pm »
Took the Miata camping in Algonquin Park this weekend. It was a challenge packing everything in, but luckily my buddies brought up other communal things.

Its definetley doable for a weekend, for 2 people, if one were to bring backpacking style camping gear.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 08:14:03 pm by 1FGC »