Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044387 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18240 on: August 20, 2023, 12:44:20 pm »
Just measured the battery on the MDX after sitting for 2 hours; 12.19 V on a fairly expensive meter.  An AMG battery coming up 2 years old.  Same meter is seeing 12.38 V on the boat's deep cycles.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18241 on: August 20, 2023, 12:54:59 pm »
Seems low. I didn't load test this old battery. Perhaps the vehicle it came out of saw a momentary voltage drop under load that it did not like.

Anyhow added some distilled water to each cell and put on a trickle charger. Was at 12.58 this morning.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18242 on: August 20, 2023, 02:17:02 pm »
To eliminate my fairly expensive multi meter from the calculation I retested a few much different type batteries.

The Armada is 11.68V.  Very slow starting so it was discovered that the cells were empty a few weeks ago and filled with bottled water and slow charged.  Obviously this battery has had it.  Lack of regular maintenance.

Redid the MDX and it showed 11.91V.  It's an AMG.

Boat batteries; 12.58V  12.60V

Large tractor; 12:78V   Didn't think values could get so high.  Not run in 24 hours.  No idea how old it is.  Was original to me when I bought it 6 years ago.  Not serviced since then since it's location is terrible to reach.  It only runs for a few minutes at low maybe 3 times a week since all it does now is launch duty.  Odd.

IMO, batteries have doubled in price in 6 years.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18243 on: August 20, 2023, 03:07:11 pm »
Ok, not a car, boat trailer, finally put new tires on it.
Probably could have gotten a few more seasons out of the old ones, they were from 1996 and still holding air. ;D

Mr Pickypants

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18244 on: August 20, 2023, 03:25:27 pm »
Probably could have gotten a few more seasons out of the old ones, they were from 1996 and still holding air. ;D

Oh, that's nothing. Not even a wire showing; could've made it another year or two  :P ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18245 on: August 20, 2023, 03:51:48 pm »
Probably could have gotten a few

Oh, that's nothing. Not even a wire showing; could've made it another year or two  :P ;D

They probably travel about 1km a year, put the boat in...pull the boat out.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #18246 on: August 21, 2023, 11:48:39 am »
Not me, but my BIL listed is 2013 4Runner for sale yesterday.  I think it tentatively sold the same day.  The first couple that came to see it said they would take it.  He's showing it to one more couple today in case the first couple back out, but I think it's basically as good as sold. 

Not sure how long the ad will stay up.
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/4runner/winnipeg/manitoba/19_12665446_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_1_1&pc=R2K%203Z3&sprx=100

He paid $31k for it 6 years ago, and got 100k completely trouble free kms out of it.  Oil changes, one set of tires, and one set of brakes.  I'd say that's basically on par for a basic 4Runner.  Other than fuel consumption, very low cost of ownership.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 11:51:49 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18247 on: August 21, 2023, 11:50:46 am »
Not me, but my BIL listed is 2013 4Runner for sale yesterday.  I think it tentatively sold the same day.  The first couple that came to see it said they would take it.  He's showing it to one more couple today in case the first couple back out, but I think it's basically as good as sold. 

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/4runner/winnipeg/manitoba/19_12665446_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_1_1&pc=R2K%203Z3&sprx=100

Thats nuts.  4Runner or no. Good on him.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18248 on: August 21, 2023, 12:07:30 pm »
Great ad, very clear and addressed every question people would be worried about. Can see why it sold quick

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #18249 on: August 21, 2023, 12:24:57 pm »

Ditto.  Great job.  What's he replacing it with?

I'm somewhat in the same boat, but not to the same extent.  Paid $34k for the Pilot in March 2018 and could easily sell it in the low $20k range....I see dealers are asking $25k-ish.  So I'm probably under $200 a month depreciation and I've done nothing but scheduled maintenance and brakes.  The all season tires were new when I bought it and they are nearing end of life.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18250 on: August 21, 2023, 12:47:44 pm »

I'm somewhat in the same boat, but not to the same extent.  Paid $34k for the Pilot in March 2018 and could easily sell it in the low $20k range....I see dealers are asking $25k-ish.  So I'm probably under $200 a month depreciation and I've done nothing but scheduled maintenance and brakes.  The all season tires were new when I bought it and they are nearing end of life.

He picked up a 2023 Outback Wilderness last month.  Waited two months for it. 

He's going to be listing his trailer for sale later this week.  His kids are well into being teenagers and starting to get summer jobs, so he figures the whole family camping lifestyle is over for now.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18251 on: August 21, 2023, 12:54:17 pm »
To eliminate my fairly expensive multi meter from the calculation I retested a few much different type batteries.

The Armada is 11.68V.  Very slow starting so it was discovered that the cells were empty a few weeks ago and filled with bottled water and slow charged.  Obviously this battery has had it.  Lack of regular maintenance.

Large tractor; 12:78V   Didn't think values could get so high.  Not run in 24 hours.  No idea how old it is.  Was original to me when I bought it 6 years ago.  Not serviced since then since it's location is terrible to reach.  It only runs for a few minutes at low maybe 3 times a week since all it does now is launch duty.  Odd.

Those SUV batteries are really low...I am wondering if it's because in order to test it you're likely unlocking the truck and opening the door to get the hoods open. Probably waking up all the electronics, maybe even turning on all the lights (if dark/garaged) and that's putting a significant load on it while you're testing. If you're really curious, open the hood and leave it open with the doors shut and locked for an hour or 2, then check the voltage.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18252 on: August 21, 2023, 01:01:44 pm »

He's going to be listing his trailer for sale later this week.  His kids are well into being teenagers and starting to get summer jobs, so he figures the whole family camping lifestyle is over for now.

Nice choice, and I'm sure he will enjoy the improvement in fuel economy and full-time AWD in the winter.  The 4Runner would have been a part time 4H/4L setup, right?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18253 on: August 21, 2023, 01:19:11 pm »

Nice choice, and I'm sure he will enjoy the improvement in fuel economy and full-time AWD in the winter.  The 4Runner would have been a part time 4H/4L setup, right?

Yes, part time 4WD.  It was a 'base' SR5, although the base 4Runner is still pretty well equipped with leather power seats, etc.

The Outback Wilderness has the 2.4T, so plenty of power, and combined with that AWD system will make it a very competent (and fun!!!) winter vehicle.  It's a massive step up in the feature department, too.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18254 on: August 21, 2023, 02:05:47 pm »

Those SUV batteries are really low...I am wondering if it's because in order to test it you're likely unlocking the truck and opening the door to get the hoods open. Probably waking up all the electronics, maybe even turning on all the lights (if dark/garaged) and that's putting a significant load on it while you're testing. If you're really curious, open the hood and leave it open with the doors shut and locked for an hour or 2, then check the voltage.

Yeah this is good practice to scrub the surface voltage after charging. Not sure why the Volvo didn't like the battery (or why I replaced it  ;D) but it was 12.78 last night and now 12.74 12 hours later (on bench). For curiosity will measure it for the next week and see what happens. Anyone need a 4 year old H6 battery? Cells freshly topped and charged...

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18255 on: August 21, 2023, 02:35:12 pm »

Yes, part time 4WD.  It was a 'base' SR5, although the base 4Runner is still pretty well equipped with leather power seats, etc.

The Outback Wilderness has the 2.4T, so plenty of power, and combined with that AWD system will make it a very competent (and fun!!!) winter vehicle.  It's a massive step up in the feature department, too.

Now that I think about it, did he know the forum only approves of the Crosstrek and CX-5?? Although I guess the Outback is like, Crosstrek-adjacent.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18256 on: August 21, 2023, 02:44:01 pm »

Now that I think about it, did he know the forum only approves of the Crosstrek and CX-5?? Although I guess the Outback is like, Crosstrek-adjacent.

Believe it or not, even had he known the stance of this forum, I doubt it was a consideration at all.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18257 on: August 21, 2023, 02:48:40 pm »
If you're really curious, open the hood and leave it open with the doors shut and locked for an hour or 2, then check the voltage.

That's very interesting.  I'll try that on the MDX.  The Armada battery is pooched.  The cells going dry down to the plates must have done it.  Nissan can pay for that.  Better get on it as I can only assume it's stressing out the alternator.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18258 on: August 21, 2023, 02:55:18 pm »

It's particularly nuts considering that big @ss travel sitting in the side yard.  Clean and shiny reels them in every time.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18259 on: August 21, 2023, 03:03:39 pm »

It's particularly nuts considering that big @ss travel sitting in the side yard.  Clean and shiny reels them in every time.

Yeah, he basically maxed that 4Runner out pulling that trailer.