Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044643 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18180 on: August 05, 2023, 10:28:24 am »
Ridgeline had a loose center console which was weird. I got lucky that it only had to pull some trim and crank a 10mm bolt back down. About 3 minutes all in. With that nice and tight most of what I thought was front end rattle went away.  win!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18181 on: August 05, 2023, 02:13:50 pm »
Listed the kiddo's Accent late Friday evening. Charming young woman in a NA Miata came to see it this morning, our very first visitor. Sold!

Care to guess what the market gave us for a 2014 Accent GL auto with 73,500 km?

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18182 on: August 05, 2023, 02:21:27 pm »
$15K

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18183 on: August 05, 2023, 02:40:00 pm »
$15K

:rofl2: Some dealers were actually asking that!

We got $10k  :) Plus, making the trade at the dealer so nice, fat tax rebate ! Basically, the car was free for the 4 years she owned it as the profit covers all maintenance that was done on it.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18184 on: August 05, 2023, 03:41:25 pm »
Nice buy for the seller!

In Ontario that would've been a $12-$14k car  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18185 on: August 05, 2023, 06:27:12 pm »
Noticed the low beam on driver's side was out on the Miata, took out the bulb, which is a PITA to put in or out because of a rubber boot, and it wasn't burnt.  Noticed the connector had overheated and wasn't making contact.  Sanded spade, applied dielectric grease, squeezed the other contact a bit and it's working now.  Connector is kinda brittle from the head, might not last.
Anyhow, good to go for now.
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18186 on: August 05, 2023, 08:14:16 pm »
Noticed the low beam on driver's side was out on the Miata, took out the bulb, which is a PITA to put in or out because of a rubber boot, and it wasn't burnt.  Noticed the connector had overheated and wasn't making contact.  Sanded spade, applied dielectric grease, squeezed the other contact a bit and it's working now.  Connector is kinda brittle from the head, might not last.
Anyhow, good to go for now.

I love those type of repairs

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18187 on: August 05, 2023, 08:22:07 pm »
Oil changes in the XKR and DTS....XKR is a really annoying job, glad it only needs doing once a year.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18188 on: August 05, 2023, 09:06:17 pm »
Oil changes in the XKR and DTS....XKR is a really annoying job, glad it only needs doing once a year.

Too many trays to remove or a hard to reach filter?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18189 on: August 05, 2023, 09:37:40 pm »
Both. Trays to be removed, plus the filter, while easy to see front the top side, has some coolant pipes running right up against it that prevent you from getting anything around it. I have one of the cap-style wrenches specifically for this car and it worked fine, but it took a bit of screwing around. Worse yet though is the fact that it doesn't have a dipstick, so you need to be really careful with how much you're putting in, and then play around with the electronic dipstick to confirm. Follow that with a ridiculous sequence of button presses to reset the service interval.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18190 on: August 05, 2023, 09:57:45 pm »
Both. Trays to be removed, plus the filter, while easy to see front the top side, has some coolant pipes running right up against it that prevent you from getting anything around it. I have one of the cap-style wrenches specifically for this car and it worked fine, but it took a bit of screwing around. Worse yet though is the fact that it doesn't have a dipstick, so you need to be really careful with how much you're putting in, and then play around with the electronic dipstick to confirm. Follow that with a ridiculous sequence of button presses to reset the service interval.

I see... Sounds like your Jag has got a few German genes mixed in  :P

That no dipstick situation is particularly aggravating. Really sounds like a way to discourage any DIY or even a quick-lube shop attempts. Talk about re-inventing the wheel  >:( 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18191 on: August 06, 2023, 01:20:18 am »

I see... Sounds like your Jag has got a few German genes mixed in  [emoji14]

Am about to do the S8 and not looking forward to it.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18192 on: August 06, 2023, 01:22:05 am »

Is the XKR a 5L V8? If so does it not have a sump tube for top siding the old oil? The LR4 is the easiest vehicle I have ever done changes on. Hook a mity vac to the sump drain tube while swapping the filter. A complete oil&filter change in about 10 minutes and I could do it with a white dress shirt on. Best system ever and I would be surprised if Jag didn't put it on all models.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 01:26:18 am by ktm525 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18193 on: August 06, 2023, 06:18:49 am »

Is the XKR a 5L V8? If so does it not have a sump tube for top siding the old oil? The LR4 is the easiest vehicle I have ever done changes on. Hook a mity vac to the sump drain tube while swapping the filter. A complete oil&filter change in about 10 minutes and I could do it with a white dress shirt on. Best system ever and I would be surprised if Jag didn't put it on all models.
Same as our Audis..particularly the A5. Super easy.

S8, although filter is up top, is in a really bad place..under the windshield cowl by the firewall.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18194 on: August 06, 2023, 09:00:58 am »

Take pictures  :popcorn:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18195 on: August 06, 2023, 09:30:07 am »

Take pictures  :popcorn:
There's videos on YouTube already.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18196 on: August 06, 2023, 11:25:43 am »
So the Germans were half way there with the sump tube but they couldn't help themselves and located the filter in a bad spot.  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #18197 on: August 06, 2023, 11:53:52 am »

It is the 5.0L, and it does have the sump tube. I haven't used it because I don't have a mity-vac (storage space for something like that has been a big issue) and I think getting it up on the lift, pulling the undertray, and giving everything a good once over is a good practice. While I am under there I check for leaks, checked out the suspension, bushings, etc. If I drove the car a lot and was doing oil changes every few months, the mity-vac would be the way to go. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18198 on: August 06, 2023, 12:15:53 pm »

Fair enough. My approach with a JLR product is:  if it isn't dripping to the ground then it isn't a problem.  ;D

It is the 5.0L, and it does have the sump tube. I haven't used it because I don't have a mity-vac (storage space for something like that has been a big issue) and I think getting it up on the lift, pulling the undertray, and giving everything a good once over is a good practice. While I am under there I check for leaks, checked out the suspension, bushings, etc. If I drove the car a lot and was doing oil changes every few months, the mity-vac would be the way to go.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18199 on: August 07, 2023, 12:19:01 pm »
Replaced SW2 driver door lock/unlock switch, a 1 (maybe 2) minute job? I know, I was slow to figure in which way to depress the release connector :o

I'll miss time when cars were build for DIY person...
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...